BatchMKV - batch GUI for MakeMKV

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
kenneth

Re: BatchMKV - batch GUI for MakeMKV

Post by kenneth »

altano wrote:
  • I am getting empty filenames, like ".mkv". How do I deal with this? I tried using the "Default title settings - Filename" set to "custom" and "{filename-default}{source-file|if-empty}.mkv" (bold part is what I added), but this doesn't work: presumably because "if-empty" is defeated by the extension. I even tried "{titleindex-all} - {filename-default}{source-file|if-empty}.mkv" and the output was still just ".mkv" and not " - .mkv" like I would expect. It's almost as if the title settings aren't working?
  • Is this issue only with the filename being ".mkv"? Is the title name not empty? (even if you are using the same template except for the ".mkv" addition for the filename)
  • What type of source (optical disc, file, DVD folder, Blu-ray folder) are you getting this error on?
BatchMKV - free Windows-based batch processing software for MakeMKV
forcealmighty

Post by forcealmighty »

None of my DVD Folder will Analyze. All of the Status say Discovered. It doesn't matter if I Scan one file or a folder of files.
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

forcealmighty wrote:None of my DVD Folder will Analyze. All of the Status say Discovered. It doesn't matter if I Scan one file or a folder of files.
Is Sources / Analyze Automatically checked?

Have you tried right-clicking a source and clicking Analyze?

Is it only DVD folders or other types of sources as well?
forcealmighty

Post by forcealmighty »

Is Sources / Analyze Automatically checked?

Have you tried right-clicking a source and clicking Analyze?

Is it only DVD folders or other types of sources as well?
Yes, Sources / Analyze Automatically is checked. It goes through the Blu-Rays just fine.

Yes, I have tried right-clicking a source and clicking Analyze. I even cleared the entire list and just scanned 1 folder.

The only sources I have are DVD folders and Blu-Ray folders. Blu-Rays it does fine. DVD folders status always says Discovered and it doesn't provide any feedback when I try to Analyze it.
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

I've updated BatchMKV to version 0.6.1 which has the following new features and bug fixes:

New features:
  • Sources can be prioritized (low / medium (default) / high). Analysis will always take priority over conversion: if there are any sources not yet analyzed, they will be analyzed before converting any titles.
  • Added option to attempt to identify commentary tracks to always include these and automatically give rename the track names to a user-specified value (such as “Commentary”). This can be considered experimental since it is not always clear if a track is a commentary or not. Your mileage may vary. Feedback and suggestions for identification logic is welcomed. Currently tracks meeting the following criteria are assumed to be commentary tracks: must be last audio track(s) in the default order, must be in lossy stereo in one of the favourite languages and must not be marked to include prior to being identified as a possible commentary track
Bug fixes:
  • If the application was exited while an analysis or conversion was in progress, the restored data state when the application was re-started would indicate that analysis/conversion was still in progress, which was not the case, and would prevent resuming analysis/conversion.
  • Fixed an error which prevented analysis of DVD folders.
BatchMKV should update automatically the next time you run it. A link to install BatchMKV can be found in the first post of this thread.
Last edited by kenneth on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

forcealmighty wrote:None of my DVD Folder will Analyze. All of the Status say Discovered. It doesn't matter if I Scan one file or a folder of files.
This should be fixed in the latest version (0.6.1). Let me know if you still have any issues.
forcealmighty

Post by forcealmighty »

kenneth wrote:
This should be fixed in the latest version (0.6.1). Let me know if you still have any issues.
I was able to scan a folder of movies and both Blu-Ray and DVD folders were correctly analyzed. Thank You.
forcealmighty

Post by forcealmighty »

kenneth wrote:
altano wrote:
  • I am getting empty filenames, like ".mkv". How do I deal with this? I tried using the "Default title settings - Filename" set to "custom" and "{filename-default}{source-file|if-empty}.mkv" (bold part is what I added), but this doesn't work: presumably because "if-empty" is defeated by the extension. I even tried "{titleindex-all} - {filename-default}{source-file|if-empty}.mkv" and the output was still just ".mkv" and not " - .mkv" like I would expect. It's almost as if the title settings aren't working?
  • Is this issue only with the filename being ".mkv"? Is the title name not empty? (even if you are using the same template except for the ".mkv" addition for the filename)
  • What type of source (optical disc, file, DVD folder, Blu-ray folder) are you getting this error on?
Blu-Rays have no issue labeling the MKV file. It takes the folder name and properly creates the file.
DVDs however are just left blank. I only get .mkv for a DVD.
These are all in Blu-ray and DVD folder.
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

forcealmighty wrote:Blu-Rays have no issue labeling the MKV file. It takes the folder name and properly creates the file.
DVDs however are just left blank. I only get .mkv for a DVD.
These are all in Blu-ray and DVD folder.
Weird. I cannot recreate this error on my end, it's working fine with both Blu-ray and DVD folders.

Is the file name showing as ".mkv" in the "Title information" box on the right, or is it only when the actual file is created that it ends up as ".mkv"?

Try right-clicking a title where the filename is showing as ".mkv" and selecting "Apply default title settings". Does that change anything?

Have you tested this with the most recent version? (0.6.1.24)

Are you using the source-file or source-file-clean tag?

Are you using just {source-file} or are you using any pre/post/if-empty parameters?
forcealmighty

Post by forcealmighty »

All of those tips helped. I had this long reply written as I was going through the steps. Then when I got to Filename and flipped on Custom, I changed custom to {source-file}.mkv. The trick was to clear the list and re-analyze the list again.

That did the trick.

Thank you.

Still learning the ins/outs of the app.
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

forcealmighty wrote:All of those tips helped. I had this long reply written as I was going through the steps. Then when I got to Filename and flipped on Custom, I changed custom to {source-file}.mkv. The trick was to clear the list and re-analyze the list again.

That did the trick.

Thank you.

Still learning the ins/outs of the app.
Good, okay :)

Hopefully it's not an issue going forward. I suspect the reason for this behavior is that if the source was analyzed before the bug was fixed, then it remembers the incorrect file name. In that case you can right-click and "Apply default title settings" which would then apply the correct filename.

Of course there may still be a bug related to this, as I have not heard back from altano yet.
forcealmighty

Post by forcealmighty »

Any reason why with a group of titles selected and Convert Selected Automatically selected that the convert process would just do one and then stop. It would start back up again if I unselect and then reselect any title. When I do, it converts the one at the top of the list, not the one I deselected and reselected. Also, I have to unselect the one I just converted in order for the next one to start.
ktverdun

Post by ktverdun »

I just took the most recent update today. I had been on a version release from maybe a few weeks back. I'm running into a bunch of issues.
  • Half of my settings were reset to old or default values. So I went back through and manually re-updated to get back to all of my original settings.
  • When analyzing iso files, it is not picking up my settings changes. It seems to be holding on to a cached version of settings. An old naming convention (which does not match the naming conventions I have in the settings) keeps getting applied. So I tried the moving all the isos to a different folder, using the source --> clear all to clear all of the cached analysis. After re-analyzing in the new location, it still used the old naming convention.
  • The check-box for analyzing automatically content gets reset to unchecked on every restart of the application.
Where is this tool storing the cached of analyzed data?
Where is it storing/caching the properties/settings?
Is there a way I can force reset/clear all of these cached items?
And is there any way to backup existing settings external to the application so that I can easily restore them after an new version is released if this happens again?

Also, could you update all of the areas that required browsing to a folder to allow a user to either type or paste in a directory? The forced file navigation from the root of a computer is a little painful when you need to go down more than 1 - 2 levels.
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

forcealmighty wrote:Any reason why with a group of titles selected and Convert Selected Automatically selected that the convert process would just do one and then stop. It would start back up again if I unselect and then reselect any title. When I do, it converts the one at the top of the list, not the one I deselected and reselected. Also, I have to unselect the one I just converted in order for the next one to start.
This was a bug introduced by the new prioritization feature in 0.6.1. I just uploaded 0.6.2 which fixes this issue.
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

ktverdun wrote:Half of my settings were reset to old or default values. So I went back through and manually re-updated to get back to all of my original settings.
I'm using ClickOnce to deploy (install/update), which also handles settings. I'm not sure what causes it to reset the settings. I am considering using the registry for settings instead.
ktverdun wrote:When analyzing iso files, it is not picking up my settings changes. It seems to be holding on to a cached version of settings. An old naming convention (which does not match the naming conventions I have in the settings) keeps getting applied. So I tried the moving all the isos to a different folder, using the source --> clear all to clear all of the cached analysis. After re-analyzing in the new location, it still used the old naming convention.
This is because BatchMKV will recognize a source even if it has been moved, to allow you to move a source without losing changes made to titles/tracks. You can always right-click a title and choose "Apply Default Title Settings" which will apply the title settings based on the current settings.
ktverdun wrote:The check-box for analyzing automatically content gets reset to unchecked on every restart of the application.
I'm not sure what would cause this, I'm not able to replicate this error.
ktverdun wrote:Where is this tool storing the cached of analyzed data?
In the store.bmkv file in the AppData/Roaming/BatchMKV folder.
ktverdun wrote:Where is it storing/caching the properties/settings?
The path is not the same on all machines (it's in a subfolder of AppData\Local\Apps\2.0), so the easiest is probably to search for the file BatchMKV.exe.config. It may find multiple copies, the one most recently changed is likely the one you're looking for.
ktverdun wrote:Is there a way I can force reset/clear all of these cached items?
You can right-click a title and choose "Apply Default Title Settings" which will apply the title settings based on the current settings.

If you want to clear all cached data, just delete/move/rename the store.bmkv file (while BatchMKV is not running).
ktverdun wrote:And is there any way to backup existing settings external to the application so that I can easily restore them after an new version is released if this happens again?
You can copy the BatchMKV.exe.config file. I haven't tried restoring settings using this so I cannot guarantee it works. Again, I'm considering switching to the registry to store settings.
ktverdun wrote:Also, could you update all of the areas that required browsing to a folder to allow a user to either type or paste in a directory? The forced file navigation from the root of a computer is a little painful when you need to go down more than 1 - 2 levels.
I'll put it on the list.