Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
speeddemon

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by speeddemon »

Does anyone know if Google TV devices support Profile 8.1?

Specifically, do Sony TVs with Google TV support DoVi Profile 8.1 in an MKV container?

I've tried playing it back via Plex, and it triggers DoVi, but I'm not sure how to tell whether it's just triggering DoVi like Plex on Apple TV or if it's actually passing along DoVi metadata.

Thanks!
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

speeddemon wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:24 am

Specifically, do Sony TVs with Google TV support DoVi Profile 8.1 in an MKV container?

I've tried playing it back via Plex, and it triggers DoVi, but I'm not sure how to tell whether it's just triggering DoVi like Plex on Apple TV or if it's actually passing along DoVi metadata.

Thanks!
Checkout this link, and go to the "DoVi Playback Devices" tab.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =427220017
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Gatorman wrote:
speeddemon wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing but that unfortunately doesn’t mention Sony TVs. I’d be more than happy to test if someone could explain how.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

Gatorman wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:34 am
speeddemon wrote:

Thanks!

I have Philips 65oled934 2019. It has an LG Panel, but I can perfectly playback P8 and P5 MKV. The compatibility corresponds with Chromecast with GTV, Fire Stick TV, Zidoo Z9X -ish.
How I can find out if EL is being dropped with P7?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

speeddemon wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:45 am
I’d be more than happy to test if someone could explain how.
Often the best way to check is visually.
I don't know Plex but maybe it has settings to disable/enable Dolby Vision. In which case you can directly compare the two. If not, or when having other doubts, a safe bet with Profile 8.1 is to create a copy of the file where you strip RPU and compare to that.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:43 am
if EL is being dropped with P7?
This can raise some confusion.
P7 EL carries RPU and DV playback always requires RPU. What you probably mean is, whether the additional video data FEL holds will be processed or not. From RESET_9999's device list, of the three players you mentioned CC+GTV is the only that does process FEL. But it has to be in STDL. Can't vouch for it though.
As I have a Z9X I know for sure it doesn't decode FEL. Like most non-UHDBD DV players.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

ArArdin wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:47 am
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:43 am
if EL is being dropped with P7?
This can raise some confusion.
P7 EL carries RPU and DV playback always requires RPU. What you probably mean is, whether the additional video data FEL holds will be processed or not. From RESET_9999's device list, of the three players you mentioned CC+GTV is the only that does process FEL. But it has to be in STDL. Can't vouch for it though.
As I have a Z9X I know for sure it doesn't decode FEL. Like most non-UHDBD DV players.
Then it would be probably the same for me, no FEL decode. Still wondering why LG TV can't playback dv in mkv. I guess not much people have philips tvs.
Still, how can I find out if the fel is processed or not?
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

what is this for program? and what is the purpose? how do i use it? i think something with subtitles.

https://ibb.co/b77JxmG
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:21 pm
Not sure. Maybe the manual or specs provide with more info. Perhaps the tv shows meaningfull data during DV playback.
A visual comparison of displays from P7 FEL source and its P8.1 counterpart could also tell you more.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

kazuma wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:33 pm
what is this for program? and what is the purpose? how do i use it? i think something with subtitles.
https://ibb.co/b77JxmG
Don't know it. But looking at it and given the name, I'm pretty sure it's a tool for extracting only the subtitles that are flagged as "forced" in a PGS stream. PGS (aka SUP) is the subtitle format used on (UHD)BD.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

ArArdin wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:39 pm
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:21 pm
Not sure. Maybe the manual or specs provide with more info. Perhaps the tv shows meaningfull data during DV playback.
A visual comparison of displays from P7 FEL source and its P8.1 counterpart could also tell you more.
Any key aspects to narrow it down? What would be typical for FEL? Wich advantage has P7 FEL over P8 (RPU only)?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Major difference with FEL being processed is that output will be full-blown 12 bit DV. Vs 10 bit when there's no FEL. Change in dynamics and color is noticable, but I can't say I'm overwhelmed. To my eyes, having a tv calibrated yields more awe. It's much discussed how much (and if) the 2 bits really make a difference, since nowadays tv's even can't saturate fully on 10 bit luminance. And very few (if any) are able to process 12 bit with RPU internally. I think it all depends on personal taste and type of (player and) tv. There's people that prefer (10 bit) HDR10+ over DV FEL+RPU. Everybody should decide for themselves, on their own equipment. Which also goes for tv-led vs LLDV, I'd say.
ragico

Post by ragico »

Updated version (1.65) of RESET_9999 Dovi Scripts is available from his signature.
daddy

Post by daddy »

ragico wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:39 pm
in my opinion this forum had 3 great contributors:
1 -@Yusesope
2 -@Quietvoid
3 _@RESET_9999
Yusesope we dont know what happened to him. He is Italian like me but I cant trace him in Italy.
Quietvoid does not like to write too much in the forum.
And then RESET_9999 who is carrying the forum forward and almost in solitude.
For me it's Grencola and later Yusesope that opened the way. Thanks to them.
ragico

Post by ragico »

daddy wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:32 am
For me it's Grencola and later Yusesope that opened the way. Thanks to them.
Yes I forgot to mention Grencola, it was years ago.