Star Trek Next Generation Box Set

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Star Trek Next Generation Box Set

Post by SamuriHL »

Not posting about keys on this one. All the discs are supported. Thanks for that! I just wanted to comment on the atrocious quality of these discs! I've had to microfiber, dawn scrub, and sacrifice a goat to get these discs to read in EITHER my Pio OR my BU40N. Just terrible quality control on these. :(
morbius

Re: Star Trek Next Generation Box Set

Post by morbius »

My UK set arrived yesterday and all ripped first time with my BU40N, perhaps just lucky.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

But, as you know, all these disks are "long in tooth", so they've been stored with their chemicals for a long time. You're actually lucky that they all ripped with "just" scrubbing. :)

I've often wondered how people can play disks for years with the way they've been stored in cases that contaminate the surface. Maybe it's the process of opening them every couple of months to play them that keeps the contamination down?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

DVD discs are so weird! I've bought new releases which were printed in 2020 and still had some random discs which appeared visually flawless but wouldn't read. After a wipe with warm water and a tissue they read perfectly. I am convinced there is some kind of invisible residue on discs from the factory.

Also recently had an old disc that was printed in around 2005 that would not read in any of my 3 drives. This one also appeared visually flawless with no scratches, but always failed at the same sector - around half way through the disc, with every program on every drive. Tried the next day, still failing at that same sector. Put it in its case and left it in the cupboard for 3 days, tried again, reads perfectly now :?: :?: :?: :roll:

I'm guessing humidity and temperature have something to do with it. Perhaps when I cleaned the disc the first time, water got between the 2 layers around the inner ring? Maybe the disc was bent and sitting in its case for a while straightened it out? Someone suggested putting them in the freezer as well, haven't tried that one yet :lol:
hoth80

Post by hoth80 »

I have no problem with discs read. Some episodes when rip MKV file have extra time on end. No more video with scratched audio at end. Just cut off end.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

This is why I put them on my NAS first thing. I read them to protected ISO until I'm satisfied with the MKV, then delete the protected ISO. The discs go up on my book shelf for storage. I don't even try to read from them again unless I need to for whatever reason. I've not heard of anyone else having issues with these particular discs which is good. But it definitely didn't make me happy. I spent about 7 hours or so making clean ISOs from them. I've been playing back all the MKV's this week and so far so good. I have Nemesis to watch tonight.
dockingbay94

Post by dockingbay94 »

Generations disc will not read for me. All others are ok. Tried cleaning. Tried two different drives. All I get is:
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.02 KLSK94J1747' at offset '524288'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.02 KLSK94J1747' at offset '524288'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 1.02 KLSK94J1747' at offset '32768'
and then nothing.

Looks like I will have to exchange.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

I had to rip all this from physical discs myself, bought from Amazon, no problems. But this was also ~5 years ago? Maybe just bad batches/production runs. I know that does nothing for you having issues, sorry :?
jamisonia

Post by jamisonia »

staknhalo wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:21 pm
I had to rip all this from physical discs myself, bought from Amazon, no problems. But this was also ~5 years ago? Maybe just bad batches/production runs. I know that does nothing for you having issues, sorry :?
You're in the UHD forum. The TNG Movie UHD's just released. Believe the street date is today actually. Happy First Contact Day
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

jamisonia wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:11 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:21 pm
You're in the UHD forum. The TNG Movie UHD's just released. Believe the street date is today actually. Happy First Contact Day

Lol, ty - thought it was for TNG TV BR :lol:
chris6945629

Post by chris6945629 »

I’m having issues copying the 4K versions. The program will read the disk upon putting them in but when it’s done reading them, I get the following:
Saved AACS dump file as….
The volume key is unknown for this disk.

The Blu-ray copies work fine though-no issues.

The original series set that came out In September worked fine on both 4K and Blu-ray Discs.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You have unsupported discs. Submit the dumps.
mdair68

Post by mdair68 »

Didn't see this subject and created a new topic with the dump files.
dockingbay94

Post by dockingbay94 »

Solution for me was replacement. New Generations 4K disc reads fine.

I should consider myself lucky that I've only had five 4K discs out of 300+ that have been bad: Generations, LOTR: Two Towers Extended Pt2, Mission Impossible 4, Taxi Driver, Oblivion.