Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Geneo

Post by Geneo »

Had to clean the disc good, but was finally able to backup the disc.

The 4K disc had two versions on it. I was not able to see a difference between the two. Anyone know?
jayper

Re: Avatar 4K

Post by jayper »

I do not have Avatar (2009), so I can't confirm, but Way of Water is as follows: MPLS 800 has English subtitles burned in for the Na'vi language. MPLS 801 has not subs burned in at all.
darkedgex

Post by darkedgex »

Geneo wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:39 pm
Had to clean the disc good, but was finally able to backup the disc.
Can't get mine to copy either, even exchanged for another copy to see if I just lost the disc lottery, but whatever is on this is causing the disc to fail ripping.

Out of curiosity how did you clean it "good"? :P

I wish MakeMKV had a mode where it could piece together two separate (flawed) rips into one correct copy (i.e. only rip files not already present). I suppose I can do that myself with separate folders and then combining after the fact, just would be more convenient (and use less space) to have a checkbox. =)
SilenceWithDeath

Post by SilenceWithDeath »

Same here. I got a replacement copy of the 4k disc and neither will rip the movie.
Roscoe62

Post by Roscoe62 »

Geneo wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:39 pm
The 4K disc had two versions on it. I was not able to see a difference between the two. Anyone know?
I copied the first file-set (*_t00) and found the resulting file was missing the Na'vi forced subtitles.

I went back and copied the second file-set (*_t01) and the video in this file-set has the Na'vi dialog 'burnt-in', so no PGS subtitle set needed.
soldermonkey

Post by soldermonkey »

I, too, had problems with this UHD disk. I held the reflective surface up to a bright light and noticed many large subsurface anomalies that looked similar to scratches. These "scratches" were circular as opposed to radial--the worst kind for any optical media. I returned the disk to the retailer and they supplied me with a replacement. Inspection under the light for this replacement disk was much better--I only saw one anomaly. Both backup and ripping the "*_t01" title worked flawlessly.

The moral of the story: Manufacturing quality control for this disk is severely lacking.