AACS 2.0 is cracked?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
indyjoe1977

Re: AACS 2.0 is cracked?

Post by indyjoe1977 »

I thought I'd be a wiseass, and simply copy the UHD disc over to the HDD and try to convert that way...without the AACS directory. Seemed to easy, and it was. Didn't work. Then, I got to thinking, what if I just grabbed the movie file (Hidden Figures, filename 0800.m2ts) and converted it. That didn't work, either. Tried the easiest stuff, just in case, and it was all a no go. I don't know the first thing about cracking encryption. Hoping it comes soon.
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

trumpet205 wrote:
ccutrer wrote:
Woodstock wrote:So, if they've been decrypted and are no longer on optical media, why would you need MakeMKV to read them?
Because I want to make an MKV file, instead of having raw transport streams? And have that file include chapters, that are not part of the TS, but stored elsewhere in the disc structure. I don't know if any of these title include seamless branching, but that's another thing not easily reconstructed if you can't read the full bluray structure.
Learn how to use mkvtoolnix.

Since MakeMKV cannot decrypt UHD at the moment, makes no sense to add support for decrypted UHD files. It only adds more user confusion (people will start complaining why MakeMKV cannot read their UHD discs).
Now that DeUHD is a thing, can we get over ourselves and add at least UHD structure support to MakeMKV (while relying on DeUHD to decrypt the disc)? I would much rather use MakeMKV instead of mkvtoolnix to remux, simply due to its improved track selection logic (choose only english tracks, better display of Dolby and DTS core tracks, automatically not selecting them, etc.), and its automatic handling of forced subs (making two sub tracks, one with only the forced lines, and then removing it if there aren't any). Unless I'm still too unfamiliar with mkvtoolnix, and similar option is buried deep and I just can't find it.
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

@ccutrer, once again I believe you are being unreasonable. At the moment, MakeMKV does not offer any sort of 4K support, whether de-encrypting or container-wrapping. I don't know what Mike's plans are for it, hopefully it is on his radar...

BUT...you've made your feature request numerous times, to continue to do so makes no sense. My guess is that it's not as simple to implement as you believe otherwise I expect it would have been done already. As you clearly stated, there are other tools in DeUHD and MKVToolNix that offer what you want, use those until MakeMKV develops their own. Or develop your own software. Either way, I ask again for patience and stop the antagonistic requests...please...
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

yorgo wrote:@ccutrer, once again I believe you are being unreasonable. At the moment, MakeMKV does not offer any sort of 4K support, whether de-encrypting or container-wrapping. I don't know what Mike's plans are for it, hopefully it is on his radar...

BUT...you've made your feature request numerous times, to continue to do so makes no sense. My guess is that it's not as simple to implement as you believe otherwise I expect it would have been done already. As you clearly stated, there are other tools in DeUHD and MKVToolNix that offer what you want, use those until MakeMKV develops their own. Or develop your own software. Either way, I ask again for patience and stop the antagonistic requests...please...
I'm sorry if you feel I'm being antagonistic and repetitive. That's not my intent. I bring it up because I believe MakeMKV is the better tool (which is why I paid for it a long time ago even though I didn't need to), and would like to continue using it. I've brought it up twice. Once when Smurfs 2 leaked, and yesterday. The initial response was "AACS 2.0 hasn't been broken, so it's just confusing to offer UHD support". Which while somewhat annoying, was also somewhat reasonable. (Only somewhat, because a good organization should be looking ahead to what's next BEFORE it arrives). Now that there is a publicly available means for decrypting (some number of) UHD discs, it seems the response is "just cause, go away, other tools kind of work even if they're clunky". Which is even more childish.

What I'm looking for is some sort of legitimate response, probably from Mike directly. Any of the following would be acceptable:
* I just don't have time, go away. (Don't I know it. I never have time to work on my own pet projects!)
* While the structure is nearly identical (MKVToolNix obviously has no problems reading the mpls files), the different codec (HEVC) would require support that doesn't exist right now, and it would be a significant investment to implement it.
* I don't have the hardware (UHD friendly drive), any discs, or the desire to pay 200€ for DeUHD in order to test it. (If this is the case, I'd be happy to donate some towards the cause, and hopefully others would too.)
* Some other actual reason I haven't thought of.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Few points on the subject:
- Next version of MakeMKV will have support for (decrypted) UHD discs, both for h.265 and bd-java (you will get title names on la la land for example). Its already done, just waiting for the next release.
- AACS 2.0 is not yet cracked "generically" as far as I know. There was always a way to extract a per-disc volume key from a player. To date about dozen such keys are extracted but not released publicly.
- DEUHD is a client app that downloads such known key from a server for $200
- MakeMKV can accept these keys (even as of now), should they become public knowledge.
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

mike admin wrote:Few points on the subject:
- Next version of MakeMKV will have support for (decrypted) UHD discs, both for h.265 and bd-java (you will get title names on la la land for example). Its already done, just waiting for the next release.
- AACS 2.0 is not yet cracked "generically" as far as I know. There was always a way to extract a per-disc volume key from a player. To date about dozen such keys are extracted but not released publicly.
- MakeMKV can accept these keys (even as of now), should they become public knowledge.
yay! thanks for chiming in, mike!
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Mike, thank you for clarifying and helping put an end to all this speculation, of which I'm as guilty as anyone on this thread... :wink:

Though I'm not interested in backing up UHD discs at this time, I can't wait to see how this plays out for when I do move to UHD. In the meantime, if I read your post correctly, I hope that the next release CLEARLY STATES the disc or file has to be decrypted in order for MakeMKV to work on it. I can already see the posts of why someone can't rip their UHD disc. I hope a sticky will be created at release time stating this. IMHO.

Thanks again, Y
jobispo

Post by jobispo »

mike admin wrote: There was always a way to extract a per-disc volume key from a player
Actually they don't even do that, they are downloading the keys for each 6144 byte block on the disc.. That's why they need to download 100MB+ per disc.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

Thanks for the update, awesome news!

May I ask you are planning to implement Dolby Vision? Is it going to be like 3D? So that you can choose to add the DV layer or not.
watchy

Post by watchy »

I've been using MakeMKV for years and haven't bought it yet. I'll buy it as soon as the decrypted UHD are supported. Great program man, love it. Thanks for all the time and work you have put in for an awesome utility.
blofeldscat

Post by blofeldscat »

watchy wrote:
I've been using MakeMKV for years and haven't bought it yet. I'll buy it as soon as the decrypted UHD are supported. Great program man, love it. Thanks for all the time and work you have put in for an awesome utility.
Wow! You expect a hell of a lot for nothing.

That's so magnaminous of you to say you'll actually buy a programme that you have been 'using for years' once a particular feature is provided. Yeah, right! Sure you will.

It's bad enough that you are a (self-acknowledged) leech but to use a 'carrot and stick' scenario to 'give incentive' to the developer of MakeMKV to 'hurry-up' with the implementation of a feature that you want (i.e. "I won't be giving you any money unless you do x)" merely paints you as an ingrate.

Perhaps if you demonstrated to the developer the kind of 'support' that you feel is due you by him, via paying for the software you've 'been using (free) for years', then you - and those of your ilk - might find that the developer would then have the incentive to research and implement new features at a faster rate.

Saying, 'thanks for all the time and work you have put in for an awesome utility', when you aren't prepared to pay a single cent toward its development and have no qualms about making subtle threats, merely renders the sentiment as a cynical, hollow platitude.

Given your 100% reluctance to purchase a MakeMKV licence, I seriously doubt that the DVD/BD discs that you have been backing-up with MakeMKV are actually your own 'purchased' discs.

Buy the software 'Watchy'; how much money has it saved you in the years you've been using it for 'free'?
indyjoe1977

Post by indyjoe1977 »

One thing I'm curious about is being able to handle a "decrypted" disc. What exactly does that mean? If MakeMKV isn't decrypting the disc, then what is?
ccutrer

Post by ccutrer »

indyjoe1977 wrote:One thing I'm curious about is being able to handle a "decrypted" disc. What exactly does that mean? If MakeMKV isn't decrypting the disc, then what is?
DeUHD. Or a disc image obtained from, uh, other means (please don’t pirate!).
indyjoe1977

Post by indyjoe1977 »

Tried the program...we will see...somehow, my Pioneer UHD drive, the first one available to have UHD support...isn't supported. :roll: Seems pretty dumb. But, in time, maybe so. And, who knows, maybe I'll just pick up another of the drives that IS supported. LOL. What is handy is that a UHD drive is NOT necessary. A couple of the LG drives are not UHD drives, so that's interesting.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The whole issue is whether or not the encryption that is called AACS v2.0 has really been "cracked". The AACS used on BDs has been; it just needs updates every few months as it is tweaked by the publishers.

But AACS 2 has not reached that point.

As described in this topic, CERTAIN DISKS have had their encryption broken. And there is a company that will sell you access to the information to read THOSE DISKS. If the disk you have isn't one of those, well.... you'll probably be able to rip it when they figure out that disk, assuming it is popular enough to get their attention.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging