UHD support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
bbraskey67

Re: UHD support

Post by bbraskey67 »

Went to rip a couple of new 4K discs tonight. First disc went fine. The second disc gave me this error: "Automatic SDF downloading is disabled or failed". I've tried a number of other discs including the first one that worked and none of them will work. My Internet connection is fine. Any ideas?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

bbraskey67 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 am
Went to rip a couple of new 4K discs tonight. First disc went fine. The second disc gave me this error: "Automatic SDF downloading is disabled or failed". I've tried a number of other discs including the first one that worked and none of them will work. My Internet connection is fine. Any ideas?
The posts right above your discuss how to enable the downloading of that file.

Forum search function works and provides dozens more conversations/posts on that topic with possible troubleshooting steps:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/search.ph ... ownloading

And where you can download it manually to further troubleshoot or if you have connectivity issues connecting to MakeMKV servers.

Is your setting to contact MakeMKV servers enabled as discussed in those posts?

Did you already try to manually download it to see what happens?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Quick question: is there a search function available in the makemkv forums? (Ducking)
:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

jonghotti wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:32 am
Quick question: is there a search function available in the makemkv forums? (Ducking)
:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
:P

Such a troll you are. :lol:
Toleedo

Post by Toleedo »

Quick question. I have the LG WH16Ns40 with fw 1.00 being reported by makemkv. UHD discs will not open when I put them in the drive, but regular blu-ray does. Is there any FW I need to install?

I read about using LibreDrive but this is what the SW shows me:

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw data read: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw metadata read: Possible, not yet enabled
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

How do I go about enabling?

Thanks.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's not a quick question. To quote Yoda on this subject, "much to learn you still have." DO NOT flash anything to that drive until you do some reading. There's like a dozen threads on that drive and what you need to ensure BEFORE you brick the thing by flashing the wrong thing. The short version is, you MUST make sure the drive has the NS50 SVC code on the sticker. The drive needs to be mfg'd late 2015 or after in order to be compatible with UHD's. Failing to heed my advice here and blindly flashing ahead will likely end in a bricked drive that is a pain in the ass to recover. Do the homework, know what drive you have, and then worry about whether to flash it or not.
Toleedo

Post by Toleedo »

Yeah, I guess it is not a quick question. Not sure what the code is, will need to uninstall, but I bought it back in Nov. 2014...guessing there is no point in going through the hassle to uninstall as it is probably too old.

I saw LG had FW 1.01-1.03 available on their website for this drive, but it sounds like I shouldn’t even bother with updating? I just assumed it was the FW as libredrive said HW was supported but not FW. Guess I will have to get a new drive.

Thanks!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If you bought it in Nov 2014 then yes, the drive is too old. Please do NOT flash it as you will brick it. You will need a new drive for UHD support.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Toleedo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:34 am
Quick question. I have the LG WH16Ns40 with fw 1.00 being reported by makemkv. UHD discs will not open when I put them in the drive, but regular blu-ray does. Is there any FW I need to install?

I read about using LibreDrive but this is what the SW shows me:

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.00
DVD all regions: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw data read: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw metadata read: Possible, not yet enabled
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

How do I go about enabling?

Thanks.
The main thing to note here is "Drive platform: MT1939". This is a dead giveaway that the drive is not and won't ever be UHD friendly. All UHD friendly models are MT1959 and as @SamuriHL mentioned, these are manufactured from late 2015+.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ah, yea, I didn't even see that it was a MT1939 chipset. Good catch.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Not yet enabled" means that MakeMKV hasn't enabled it yet - it's not something you can do on your own.

There are a number of drives that can have features enabled with LibreDrive, but UHD isn't one of them if the hardware can't do it. One of the benefits is not having to worry about having your drive "locked out" by a AACS revocation.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Toleedo

Post by Toleedo »

Thanks for all the info everyone, it’s appreciated. I ordered today and actually just received (gotta love same day shipping) the asus bw-16d1ht...think I read that it should do the trick, unless I mixed up model numbers.
Toleedo

Post by Toleedo »

One more question, hopefully....I am still getting a "no disc" when inserting a 4k disc now into the Asus BW-16D1HT....I do not get this with regular bluray.

Here is the right pane print out in makemkv:
LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

I'm assuming I must still be missing something. I tried a few different 4k's. a newer one and some older releases from last year. This is the version of makemkv:
MakeMKV v1.14.5 linux(x64-release)

Thanks for any help
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Toleedo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 am
One more question, hopefully....I am still getting a "no disc" when inserting a 4k disc now into the Asus BW-16D1HT....I do not get this with regular bluray.

Here is the right pane print out in makemkv:
LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)

I'm assuming I must still be missing something. I tried a few different 4k's. a newer one and some older releases from last year. This is the version of makemkv:

Thanks for any help
You need to flash your drive to allow UHD reading. I'd suggest ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.10_MK.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Toleedo wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:00 am

Thanks for any help
As you were previously advised, you need to do some reading and do your homework. We can’t do that part for you. Start here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

That sticky post has a lot of useful information and links to guides. Pay attention to the sticky post across the forum. They are there for a reason and can provide useful information and answers.

Forum search function also works and will provide dozens of discussions regarding that drive and what needs to be done:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/search.ph ... D1HT+flash

As well as plain informational discussions regarding UHD Ripping with that drive.