UHD support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
roblrobl

Re: UHD support

Post by roblrobl »

Right, get the keydb.cfg file from the web. The one I found was old and didn't have the UHD entries I needed. I found that on a separate post and appended it to the bottom of the file, and then it all started working. :) Be sure to restart makemkv after any edits. Hopefully in the future, an error messages about "volume key not found" can show what the current volume key is for the disk so we can double check in our keydb.cfg files and/or google search for them easily. :)

I realize we're on the bleeding edge of making this work, and all the tools will likely need a few iterations to adjust to new features and technologies. For me, I have 2 primary purposes:
  • backup disks before they go bad. These suckers are expensive! And they go bad just like regular dvds and blurays. I got this on the 2nd disk I tried:
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00015.m2ts' at offset '31950237696'
  • access them on my home theater system with Plex so I don't have to change disks. I want it all - hdr10/dolby vision, 4k resolution, and dolby atmos/dts-x sound.
Here are some early notes after trying this with a few disks:
  • For my asus 16x drive, it takes ~1 hour 20 min to backup a disk. San Andreas is 60GB.
  • On some disks, the "top layer" read goes quickly, but at half way, it drops to 2x to read the lower layers, and this takes most of the time.
  • Of course, once I saw this with 2 4k disks, the 3rd one was different. Labyritnth is 6x across the last part for a 37 minute read. Perhaps the disk is different or compressed onto 1 layer?
  • If I ask makemkv to create a .mkv file from the backup, that's about 45GB compared to ~5GB for handbrake on a 2K movie. I haven't tried handbrake yet on a .mkv file, but have heard there were plenty of issues involved. Once they are resolved, it's likely to have a much smaller size. (good for backup storage!)
  • The makemkv backup folder doesn't seem to call out hdr10 or dolby vision vs. non-hdr. I don't know if it's even possible. Downstream quality is a bit washed out, I think some of my tools don't know how to handle hdr, this should resolve itself.
  • The makemkv back folder (when viewed by makemkv to create a .mkv file) also doesn't show the dolby atmos audio track. Darn! I see 7.1, 5.1, etc. Does anyone know if the data is captured and that future versions of makemkv will be able to distinguish it? Or will I need to rerun my backup folders? If the later, I'll probably hold off for a bit other than run a few experiments.
  • Trying to view a .mkv file via plex or vlc on the same pc that might be transcoding it is poor - it stutters quite a bit. If/when we can get the metadata right on these things so that no transcoding is needed, hopefully it will speed up. This is on the 4 core/8 thread 4ghz i7.6xxx generation processor. Has anyone found this faster on a 6 core or threadripper?
  • Plex transcoding the 4k file to 2k on my tablet works very smoothly.
  • Plex playing the 4k mkv file on my roku to the big tv works ok. It claims it's a 4k file, but after playing it, I see it's playing 2k. In options I can switch the stream to 4k and verified on my receiver it's 4k. yay! Audio says 7.1, so I didn't get the dolby atmos track somehow. (darn, but not surprising) I noticed 1 stutter in ~10 minutes of play. One time I tried it, roku said it could not play this file. BUT despite all this, I thought it looked and sounded good. Later on I'll try the TV info screen and see if it somehow is getting hdr ok.
Hope this helps others jump in! And for those of you way past me on all of this, please let me know what else I can do. Thanks!
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

I use Jriver, not Plex. You are better off using anything that uses Lav + madVr for the best 4K + HDR playback.

This combo gives me: 3D MVC, 4K+HDR, regular old BluRay, plus an audio decoder that is excellent

Plex is what I still use for some streaming as it's client is quite good; however JRiver + JRemote is pretty damn good too.

the OSMC + Vero 4K version of Kodi is coming along nicely and once they sort out 3D MVC, I will buy at least one of those boxes for the other 3D set in the house.

--

I have both the Asus and LG drives ("UHD compatible" and "UHD Certified" respectively). Between DeUHD and MakeMKV + VUK, I've backed up quite a lot of 4K UHDs.

the rips I've done with MKV have Atmos in them, so if you are concerned Atmos is missing, it is not.
Last edited by TheShoe on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sundog_ak

Post by sundog_ak »

Trying to view a .mkv file via plex or vlc on the same pc that might be transcoding it is poor - it stutters quite a bit. If/when we can get the metadata right on these things so that no transcoding is needed, hopefully it will speed up. This is on the 4 core/8 thread 4ghz i7.6xxx generation processor. Has anyone found this faster on a 6 core or threadripper?
I found VLC is also choppy which I couldn't understand since I have relatively new hardware (Intel Core i7-7700K and Nvidia GTX 1080) both the CPU and GPU have ability to HEVC hardware decode. Ultimately, after poking around and looking at CPU usage it was pretty obvious VLC wasn't using the hardware decoder on either the GPU or CPU. CPU usage was spiking at > 90%. Apparently from what I saw in some VLC threads is that its internal decoder codec for HEVC doesn't currently use either CPU or GPU hardware for decoding (it does on H264 but not H265).

Kodi and PotPlayer all play flawlessly. For PotPlayer, which didn't know about until I went on quest to figure out problem, you need to make sure you select hardware decoding at install point. Both brought CPU usage down to 25% or so and had no stuttering. You can also install a codec pack if not using Kodi or PotPlayer and make sure using hardware decoding for the LAV filters. When I did this, Windows Media Player also worked but seemed a bit higher CPU usage (but didn't fine tune settings either). My primary use is Kodi and my Intel i7 Kaby Lake NUC seems to work fine as well as long as whatever player uses the HEVC hardware decoder.
preserve

Post by preserve »

I've been using mpv.io for PC playback and have been pretty happy with it, no framerate issues on my desktop.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

roblrobl wrote:Right, get the keydb.cfg file from the web. The one I found was old and didn't have the UHD entries I needed. I found that on a separate post and appended it to the bottom of the file, and then it all started working. :) Be sure to restart makemkv after any edits. Hopefully in the future, an error messages about "volume key not found" can show what the current volume key is for the disk so we can double check in our keydb.cfg files and/or google search for them easily. :)

I realize we're on the bleeding edge of making this work, and all the tools will likely need a few iterations to adjust to new features and technologies. For me, I have 2 primary purposes:
  • backup disks before they go bad. These suckers are expensive! And they go bad just like regular dvds and blurays. I got this on the 2nd disk I tried:
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00015.m2ts' at offset '31950237696'
  • access them on my home theater system with Plex so I don't have to change disks. I want it all - hdr10/dolby vision, 4k resolution, and dolby atmos/dts-x sound.
Here are some early notes after trying this with a few disks:
  • For my asus 16x drive, it takes ~1 hour 20 min to backup a disk. San Andreas is 60GB.
  • On some disks, the "top layer" read goes quickly, but at half way, it drops to 2x to read the lower layers, and this takes most of the time.
  • Of course, once I saw this with 2 4k disks, the 3rd one was different. Labyritnth is 6x across the last part for a 37 minute read. Perhaps the disk is different or compressed onto 1 layer?
  • If I ask makemkv to create a .mkv file from the backup, that's about 45GB compared to ~5GB for handbrake on a 2K movie. I haven't tried handbrake yet on a .mkv file, but have heard there were plenty of issues involved. Once they are resolved, it's likely to have a much smaller size. (good for backup storage!)
  • The makemkv backup folder doesn't seem to call out hdr10 or dolby vision vs. non-hdr. I don't know if it's even possible. Downstream quality is a bit washed out, I think some of my tools don't know how to handle hdr, this should resolve itself.
  • The makemkv back folder (when viewed by makemkv to create a .mkv file) also doesn't show the dolby atmos audio track. Darn! I see 7.1, 5.1, etc. Does anyone know if the data is captured and that future versions of makemkv will be able to distinguish it? Or will I need to rerun my backup folders? If the later, I'll probably hold off for a bit other than run a few experiments.
  • Trying to view a .mkv file via plex or vlc on the same pc that might be transcoding it is poor - it stutters quite a bit. If/when we can get the metadata right on these things so that no transcoding is needed, hopefully it will speed up. This is on the 4 core/8 thread 4ghz i7.6xxx generation processor. Has anyone found this faster on a 6 core or threadripper?
  • Plex transcoding the 4k file to 2k on my tablet works very smoothly.
  • Plex playing the 4k mkv file on my roku to the big tv works ok. It claims it's a 4k file, but after playing it, I see it's playing 2k. In options I can switch the stream to 4k and verified on my receiver it's 4k. yay! Audio says 7.1, so I didn't get the dolby atmos track somehow. (darn, but not surprising) I noticed 1 stutter in ~10 minutes of play. One time I tried it, roku said it could not play this file. BUT despite all this, I thought it looked and sounded good. Later on I'll try the TV info screen and see if it somehow is getting hdr ok.
Hope this helps others jump in! And for those of you way past me on all of this, please let me know what else I can do. Thanks!
On an LG WH16Ns40 running on my Dedicated Unraid Server via a docker app I average anywhere from 50-70 minutes per disc. A normal Bluray is about 30 minutes, so this makes sense since UHD's are typically twice the file size.

I'm ripping out just the main title, the Highest quality audio track and core track, and all english subtitles. I then use Emby to browse and then play the mkv files (via DLNA) to my oppo203 and display them on my LG 65B7A OLED. They look phenomenal and trigger the HDR flag on the TV with zero issues (NO transcoding and it is indistinguishable from the physical disc). Subtitles work and the Bitstreamed Lossless tracks playback fine! As of yet, I don't have any rippable Dolby Vision Titles, so I can't report back on whether they are working or not yet.

I can not verify if the ATMOS or DTS-X meta data is being properly transferred since I don't have a receiver capable of interpreting it, but I see no reason as to why it wouldn't work. ATMOS/DTS-X are only metadata appended to a standard Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA 7.1 track. There are really no Extra audio channels so to speak. It just tells the reciever to send or duplicate channels to different speakers at certain times/levels/etc. Basically just an much advanced version of Dolby Prologic/DTS NEO.
KayakNate

Post by KayakNate »

preserve wrote:
KayakNate wrote:How do you integrate those keys into MakeMKV?
Create a keydb.cfg file in your MakeMKV data directory: /faq/item/12
Thank you. I followed those but continue to get:
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Nathaniel/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v57_The_Amazing_Spider-Man_2.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at qLJ{l~SI,56Xqt>=:29396046
DEBUG: Code 0 at qOI*=wx5:j{WPf8Pod3:121272721
DEBUG: Code 0 at <0W<vOVSs.X)9gR.Buo#:29396759
Backup failed

Is by pioneer drive not compatible with this? Is there something I can do to resolve this?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

KayakNate wrote:
preserve wrote:
KayakNate wrote:How do you integrate those keys into MakeMKV?
Create a keydb.cfg file in your MakeMKV data directory: /faq/item/12
Thank you. I followed those but continue to get:
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\Nathaniel/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v57_The_Amazing_Spider-Man_2.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at qLJ{l~SI,56Xqt>=:29396046
DEBUG: Code 0 at qOI*=wx5:j{WPf8Pod3:121272721
DEBUG: Code 0 at <0W<vOVSs.X)9gR.Buo#:29396759
Backup failed

Is by pioneer drive not compatible with this? Is there something I can do to resolve this?
Check here for a list of compatible drives..

https://www.deuhd.ru/supported.html
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
preserve

Post by preserve »

Did you add the keys into the keydb.cfg file?

If so, it's possible you have a version of that disc for which the key is not yet known, in which case you should submit the dump file that was produced.
KayakNate

Post by KayakNate »

preserve wrote:Did you add the keys into the keydb.cfg file?

If so, it's possible you have a version of that disc for which the key is not yet known, in which case you should submit the dump file that was produced.
I had the keys added. I went and bought the LG and all worked. The pioneer that costs like $100 doesn't work...what a waste of money.
hart2hart

First Rip and playback of 4K UHD on Dune Solo and Samsung 4K

Post by hart2hart »

I followed instructions and ripped Passengers to MKV file using LG drive! Played it back on Dune Solo 4K. Experimented with a few settings on Samsung TV and the Dune player. Saw bit rates as high as 78 Mb and image looked good via casual view. Didn’t / Can’t confirm color space and other important images settings worked.

Set settings on Dune so it didn’t attempt on fly conversion To prevent image issues.
preserve

Re: First Rip and playback of 4K UHD on Dune Solo and Samsun

Post by preserve »

hart2hart wrote:I followed instructions and ripped Passengers to MKV file using LG drive! ... Didn’t / Can’t confirm color space and other important images settings worked.
I can confirm this, I used Passengers as my first rip too. Codec is HEVC H.265, color space is BT.2020 - all is as it should be.
TacoChublets

Post by TacoChublets »

preserve wrote:
hart2hart wrote:I followed instructions and ripped Passengers to MKV file using LG drive! ... Didn’t / Can’t confirm color space and other important images settings worked.
I can confirm this, I used Passengers as my first rip too. Codec is HEVC H.265, color space is BT.2020 - all is as it should be.
Did you have any problems with decrypting? I'm using an LG WH16NS40 and I've put the keydb.cfg in the .MakeMKV folder, and I haven't been able to get past the decrypting part.
4kripper

Post by 4kripper »

TacoChublets wrote:
preserve wrote:
Did you have any problems with decrypting? I'm using an LG WH16NS40 and I've put the keydb.cfg in the .MakeMKV folder, and I haven't been able to get past the decrypting part.
Same story here - unable to get past the decrypting part, using an LG BE16NU50 and an Asus BW-16D1HT. There was a response in the Mixed Results Ripping UHD Discs Using Leaked Keys thread stating this might be due to different volume keys for the same release.
preserve

Post by preserve »

TacoChublets wrote:Did you have any problems with decrypting? I'm using an LG WH16NS40 and I've put the keydb.cfg in the .MakeMKV folder, and I haven't been able to get past the decrypting part.
No problems with decrypting.

Since you mention that you're at the decrypting part, I assume you are already good up until that point - MakeMKV is showing your drive and showing the disc when the program starts.

I realize now that I actually didn't place the KEYDB.cfg in the "data directory" - I put it into the MakeMKV program directory, Program Files\MakeMKV. Perhaps give that a try.
TacoChublets

Post by TacoChublets »

preserve wrote:
TacoChublets wrote:Did you have any problems with decrypting? I'm using an LG WH16NS40 and I've put the keydb.cfg in the .MakeMKV folder, and I haven't been able to get past the decrypting part.
No problems with decrypting.

Since you mention that you're at the decrypting part, I assume you are already good up until that point - MakeMKV is showing your drive and showing the disc when the program starts.

I realize now that I actually didn't place the KEYDB.cfg in the "data directory" - I put it into the MakeMKV program directory, Program Files\MakeMKV. Perhaps give that a try.
Lame. I tried that and it's still coming up as if I don't have the key.

Am I forgetting something?