Mixed Results Ripping UHD Discs Using Leaked Keys

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
lcgrzy

Mixed Results Ripping UHD Discs Using Leaked Keys

Post by lcgrzy »

I have four UHD movies (US region on all of them) that are included in the list of leaked keys and I used the methods described here and in other places to add them to the necessary .cfg file for MakeMKV. I have the LG WH16NS40 in a gaming rig that is just below what I would call high-end (6th gen quad-core i5, NVidia GTX 1060, etc.). Here are the results:
  • 1. The Martian: UHD disc decrypted successfully and ripped successfully resulting in a 41.0 GB file that seemed to play well on my gaming rig (albeit through a 1920x1080 display). However, I cannot get it to playback smoothly (drops a lot of frames) on my 1st gen Surface Book with GPU (I can't find a way to force it to use the GPU for playback, so it was using integrated graphics). When I have a chance, I am going to try to run the file through Handbrake to reduce the size and data rate to something that will hopefully play better on my Surface Book.

2. San Andreas: UHD disc decrypted successfully and began ripping the main title. About half way through the first time, MakeMKV crashed. Opened MakeMKV again and started rip a second time, this time it resulted in a hash error and it failed to rip the movie. Third and fourth attempt resulted in the same hash error.

3. Arrival: Unable to decrypt using the leaked key. :(

4. Oblivion: My drive won't even load this disc. I have yet to watch this movie from the UHD disc, so I'm going to have to test it in my Xbox One S to make sure that the disc is actually playable.
If the logs (or whatever) would be useful to anyone for the San Andreas errors, I would be happy to provide them. Otherwise, I figured I would share my results with others.
lcgrzy

Re: Mixed Results Ripping UHD Discs Using Leaked Keys

Post by lcgrzy »

UPDATE: My Oblivion UHD disc seems to be bad. It won't play on my Xbox One S.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

Where are people getting the keys. They seem to have been taken down everywhere.
lcgrzy

Post by lcgrzy »

preserve

Post by preserve »

BigPines wrote:Where are people getting the keys. They seem to have been taken down everywhere.
Have a look at these two posts: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?p=58521#p58521 | http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?p=58636#p58636
lcgrzy wrote:When I have a chance, I am going to try to run the file through Handbrake to reduce the size and data rate to something that will hopefully play better on my Surface Book.
I'll be interested to hear your results and settings. I too am using Handbrake to try and achieve a good result that will play smoothly on my HP Spectre x360, for when I go to my parent's house.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

preserve wrote:I'll be interested to hear your results and settings. I too am using Handbrake to try and achieve a good result that will play smoothly on my HP Spectre x360, for when I go to my parent's house.
One would go through all this UHD trouble to watch on a laptop?
Don't take that as me being "snarky" just curious. :wink:
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

I'm curious, too; no offense intended but why spend so much effort to compress a UHD disc, wouldnt it be easier to just back up the Blu-Ray copy? Cant imagine there'd be a qualitative improvement given screen size and compression. Maybe I'm missing something....
preserve

Post by preserve »

Lovely Rita wrote:One would go through all this UHD trouble to watch on a laptop?
Don't take that as me being "snarky" just curious. :wink:
No, using laptop as playback device via HDMI to a 4K TV in places without UHD player and without carrying around UHD discs.
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

preserve wrote: No, using laptop as playback device via HDMI to a 4K TV in places without UHD player and without carrying around UHD discs.
Ahhh!
I see, said the blind man. :wink:
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
preserve

Post by preserve »

lcgrzy wrote:I am going to try to run the file through Handbrake to reduce the size and data rate to something that will hopefully play better on my Surface Book.
So I was seeing bitrate spikes of 65+ on Passengers (someone else mentioned in another thread that they were seeing as high as 78). Those are the parts my laptop was stumbling on. At other times, the bitrates can be quite low.

For a 2-pass VBR encode, Handbrake's average bitrate setting does not enforce a maximum - even with a low average, those high spikes were still occuring.

I'm sure I could go higher and I will continue to experiment and tweak (and I don't fully understand how the video buffer works yet), but I was getting smooth playback results by using 25000 as the average bitrate and then adding the following settings manually into the provided input box: "vbv-maxrate=30000:vbv-bufsize=40000"
4kripper

Post by 4kripper »

So I picked up an LG BE16NU50 (external) and an ASUS BW-16D1HT (internal) and with 4k Blurays, I am able to at least get the contents of the disc recognized. I then proceeded to download the KEYDB.cfg file, added on the contents of the posts https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1826296 and https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1827352 and tried decrypting the following:

1. Deadpool
2. The Revenant

which in theory should be accounted for. However, in both the cases I get a "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted" error when I try to create an mkv. FWIW, the debug log looks like this with the Revenant on a Mac with a LG BE16NU50 (identical results on a Windows machine)

MakeMKV v1.10.8 darwin(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /<path>/MakeMKV_log.txt
Optical drive "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE16NU50 1.01d" opened in OS access mode.
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 25 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Saved AACS dump file as /<path>/MakeMKV/MKB20_v60_The_Revenant.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
DEBUG: Code 0 at 8cs-r5\[xMQ,|Y9$:29396046
DEBUG: Code 0 at 8cs-r5\[xMQ,|Y9$:213134009
Failed to open disc

I believe I placed the KEYDB.CFG file in the location specified in the preferences panel; is there anything else I should be checking?
preserve

Post by preserve »

You will notice some movies have multiple keys, that's because there are different versions of the discs out there.

So it's possible that the keys you see do not apply to the particular version of the disc that you have.

You should submit the AACS dump files created by MakeMKV to svq@makemkv.com
4kripper

Post by 4kripper »

Thanks, submitted. Is there also any debug information I can find to check what keys are being processed (I want to make sure my keys are being picked up)?
preserve

Post by preserve »

4kripper wrote:Thanks, submitted. Is there also any debug information I can find to check what keys are being processed (I want to make sure my keys are being picked up)?
No, at this time there is no acknowledgment, reply for processed submissions, debug information or other method available to users to check for processed keys, etc. It gets done when it gets done - and MakeMKV will download the latest SVQ data whenever updates are made - which perhaps isn't the most helpful method, but I'm sure that the less time Mike needs to spend with that type of stuff, the more time he can focus on development (and probably better not to publicly post some of that stuff anyway). Turnaround times for submitted dumps generally haven't been very long in the past, although we are in new territory now with UHDs so I'm not sure if Mike has mentioned whether he's able to turn around those dumps into internal keys or if he's only gathering dumps to help him research at this point.
danBoi2016

Post by danBoi2016 »

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-hd-8-2-1-1-beta.74118/