Rip now, decrypt later?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
onlinespending

Rip now, decrypt later?

Post by onlinespending »

Is it possible to rip a UHD 4K Blu-ray now to my hard disk and decrypt later once keys become available? I imagine I'd have no way to play it on my PC until decryption keys become available? Thanks
tornsanger

Re: Rip now, decrypt later?

Post by tornsanger »

Hi

I managed to rip a uhd disc using anydvd -. saving it as an iso (remember to "keep protection"). I just ripped it and keept the protection and used makemkv to open the protected iso file and it worked perfect. So it is possible.
onlinespending

Post by onlinespending »

Great! Thank you for the info
onewhorips

Post by onewhorips »

tornsanger wrote:Hi

I managed to rip a uhd disc using anydvd -. saving it as an iso (remember to "keep protection"). I just ripped it and keept the protection and used makemkv to open the protected iso file and it worked perfect. So it is possible.
I followed your advice, but I cannot make MakeMKV decrypt the virtual disc. I am certain that I have MakeMKV pointed to the correct directory with a valid KEYDB in place. I got a lot of errors.

Got any ideas for troubleshooting my process?
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
MakeMKV log
(74.79 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
tornsanger

Post by tornsanger »

How did you access the iso file? directly or did you mount the image with an image drive?
I have made 4 movies this way - just by opening the iso file in makemkv.
Can you decrypt the disc in makemkv?
onewhorips

Post by onewhorips »

tornsanger wrote:How did you access the iso file? directly or did you mount the image with an image drive?
I have made 4 movies this way - just by opening the iso file in makemkv.
Can you decrypt the disc in makemkv?
I have an .iso file for Arrival, The Revenant, and The Martian Extended Edition. I tried opening the .iso files directly, and with the virtual mounting, but neither methods worked.
tornsanger

Post by tornsanger »

Can you decrypt the original UHD bluray disc in makemkv?
onewhorips

Post by onewhorips »

tornsanger wrote:Can you decrypt the original UHD bluray disc in makemkv?
No... and at this point I have a feeling I may just need to get a new drive.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Have you tried using MakeMKV's disc backup function with the original UHD disc? If it works, there is no problem with your drive or your disc.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
tornsanger

Post by tornsanger »

wait for the right keys to open the iso file... Then it will work... It works for me with the right keys... You could send your aacs dumps...
onewhorips

Post by onewhorips »

tornsanger wrote:wait for the right keys to open the iso file... Then it will work... It works for me with the right keys... You could send your aacs dumps...
Right. That's exactly what I was thinking. However after looking through the forum, I found Mike's post about how there are official and friendly UHD drives. I am certain that I have an official one, and because of that, I wasn't able to back up the disk. (When using AnyDVD to back up the disc, it did not give me any errors, but when backing up the disc via MakeMKV, I was getting errors talking about some sort of hash error IIRC. The drive was wanting the AACS2 host cert.. I think.. and my computer wasn't able to provide it)

Since I realized that I didn't have a "friendly" UHD drive, I just went out an bought an Asus BW-16D1HT. It was unable to decrypt The Martian Extended Edition, but it is currently ripping Deepwater Horizon at 4.8x. I will post an update on how it went.

Update: It finished in around 45 min with an output file size of 60,961,580 KB. :)
captin

Post by captin »

I've backed up all my UHD disks with makemkv, they seem to be very susceptible to dust and small scratches, I had to clean them very carefully to get an error free backup so I thought I should keep backups now while the disks are new.

Provided I untick the decrypt option in backup the disks seemed to backup successfully. I had trouble with Billy Lynn but discovered if I put the disk in before makemkv was started and as soon as the disk appeared in the finder, start up makemkv and hit the backup button as soon as makemkv would let me it worked fine. Billy Lynn is the only disk I have a key for and I was able to decrypt from my backup files so I have some confidence the other backups will probably be ok as and when keys appear.

I'm not able to select tracks and remux Billy Lynn but I grabbed the big m2ts file and that plays fine, mkvtoolnix remuxes it fine. I understand Mike is aware of the Billy Lynn issue, probably due to the 60p format.

I'm doing this on MacOS El Capitan with this drive:
Product: BD-RE BH16NS55
Revision: 1.02
captin

Post by captin »

captin wrote:I've backed up all my UHD disks with makemkv, they seem to be very susceptible to dust and small scratches, I had to clean them very carefully to get an error free backup so I thought I should keep backups now while the disks are new.

Provided I untick the decrypt option in backup the disks seemed to backup successfully. I had trouble with Billy Lynn but discovered if I put the disk in before makemkv was started and as soon as the disk appeared in the finder, start up makemkv and hit the backup button as soon as makemkv would let me it worked fine. Billy Lynn is the only disk I have a key for and I was able to decrypt from my backup files so I have some confidence the other backups will probably be ok as and when keys appear.

I'm not able to select tracks and remux Billy Lynn but I grabbed the big m2ts file and that plays fine, mkvtoolnix remuxes it fine. I understand Mike is aware of the Billy Lynn issue, probably due to the 60p format.

I'm doing this on MacOS El Capitan with this drive:
Product: BD-RE BH16NS55
Revision: 1.02
Update:

I've now ripped all but one of my UHD's from the encrypted backups so this idea works fine. The new version and hashed keys were announced as I went away on business so I was able to rip from files on my pc but can't go put a disk in the drive from screen sharing!

emailed the dump file for the version of Guardian's of the Galaxy 2 that I have, that doesn't rip, will be interesting to see how quickly the hashed key is published.
pesos

Post by pesos »

How is this done with makemkv? I have been doing disc backups but decrypting them, so that they play directly off of USB media on my oppo 203 (they can play over the network too).

What I'm not sure how to do is to do the same kind of backup leaving Decrypt unchecked, and then later reprocess the backup copy to decrypt it?