UHD FAQ

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MartyMcNuts

Re: UHD FAQ

Post by MartyMcNuts »

charnathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:49 am
I feel like the first post of this thread needs ton include a statement about the sleep bug associated with triple layer discs.

There should be enough data collected from drive sellers to be able to accurately say which drives have no issue with triple layer discs. From what I've seen, only UHD official drives have no issues, but I don't own ever UDH friendly drive to test out.
The sleep bug has nothing to do with triple layer discs. The sleep bug is firmware dependent. Any drive using UHD "friendly" firmware has the sleep bug. Drives using "official" UHD drive firmware do not.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:26 am
The sleep bug has nothing to do with triple layer discs. The sleep bug is firmware dependent. Any drive using UHD "friendly" firmware has the sleep bug. Drives using "official" UHD drive firmware do not.
The only time I've ever experienced the sleep bug is with triple layer discs, never a dual layer disc.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

charnathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:31 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:26 am
The only time I've ever experienced the sleep bug is with triple layer discs, never a dual layer disc.
That's not the sleep bug, it's something else.

The sleep bug occurs when you insert a UHD disc into a drive with "friendly" firmware and let it sit for a few minutes before trying to read it and the drive starts making horrible seeking noises until you eject the disc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:00 am

The sleep bug occurs when you insert a UHD disc into a drive with "friendly" firmware and let it sit for a few minutes before trying to read it and the drive starts making horrible seeking noises until you eject the disc.
I don't get the seeking noise, but the drive is definitely a sleep because after a few minutes, the disc stops spinning and and the light at the front turns off when dealing with most triple layer discs.

When I remove the triple layer disc and put in a dual layer disc, no issue.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

charnathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:20 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:00 am

I don't get the seeking noise, but the drive is definitely a sleep because after a few minutes, the disc stops spinning and and the light at the front turns off when dealing with most triple layer discs.

Maybe so but that is not the sleep bug. That just means your drive is crap at reading triple layer discs.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

charnathan wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:20 am

thats called a deflective drive that cant read 3 layer discs

i would recommend opening the drive and cleaning the laser with some alcohol be sure to buff the residue with another dry one

lol marty beat me to it was saying same thing
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Going to add some information here that maybe will help people and can be linked to. People have been asking about the keydb.cfg file lately and how to know if a disc they have has a key in it. If you have PowerShell on your machine, do the following from a powershell command prompt:

Code: Select all

Get-FileHash X:\aacs\unit_key_ro.inf -Algorithm SHA1
Where X is the drive letter for your disc. You'll get a hash printed out. Copy that hash and then open the keydb.cfg file. Search for that hash to see if an entry for your disc exists. If so, it MIGHT decrypt with MakeMKV if you set up the keydb.cfg file correctly. I say might because it appears that MakeMKV only uses the VUK value from a keydb entry and not the unit key(s). If the entry only has the unit key(s) then you may have to either wait for MakeMKV to add support or use another decryptor to realtime decrypt the disc so that MakeMKV can open it.

There's also been questions about how to use the keydb.cfg with MakeMKV. So try this:

Open MakeMKV, go to preferences
Go to the General tab, and look at the MakeMKV data-directory field. If it's empty, manually set it to your .MakeMKV directory (on windows it's usually: c:/users/username/.MakeMKV where username is the currently logged in user). Also note this path.
Download the latest keydb.cfg (or use FindVUK to syncrhonize it to your aacs directory from which you can copy it to) and copy the KEYDB.cfg file to your MakeMKV data-directory path. NOTE: That on some systems the case will matter, so it should always be KEYDB.cfg to ensure it gets read properly.

Now restart MakeMKV and you should be good to go. Obviously the keydb.cfg file needs to be updated periodically. In this way, FindVUK is helpful as it can synchronize the keydb regularly. You just need to modify it to copy the keydb.cfg file to your MakeMKV data-directory or manually copy it after the sync. Coopervid posted instructions on how to automate that copy here:

viewtopic.php?p=145704#p145704

viewtopic.php?p=145719#p145719

As for what that hash is above, it's the calculated disc ID for your disc. That's how the keydb.cfg identifies your variation of a particular title.