Processing UHD rips with Handbrake or other software

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
preserve

Re: Processing UHD rips with Handbrake or other software

Post by preserve »

Thanks for the StaxRip info and link gereral1, I will have to check it out...

On a related topic, for HDR->SDR conversion, I see some SDR converts with this info:

"10 bit HDR to 10 bit SDR using triple mixed Hable-Reinhard-JJ per scene+frame analysis algorithm"

Does anyone know anything about the method behind that?
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Exciting news. Decided to visit this topic as there is no info on how to prevent grey video in your hdr sdr conversions. ... read on

Hdr 10bit rec2012 to bt709 8 bit keeping the exact same madvr pixel shader math with my 3dlut is now possible to rip uhd4h hdr rips to bt709 h264 with hdr colors transfer to regular bluray and top boxes with 99 percent color hdr accuracy and NO 8bit banding in conversation. I used Luma scopes rgb parade and tone mapping.. vector scopes were used for the process off creation of this lut . Tools needed are uhd rip. Ffmpeg for raw extraction to crf of 0. My hdr 10mbit to bt709 8bit 3dlut, adobe premiere and mkvtoolnix, audicity for since untouched atmos and dtshd or dtsx track . Subs are done via mkvtoolnix . I was very surprised at how identical it is to madvr algo for sdr conversions burned in. Mine does not crush the whites at 120nits . Be prepared for 5 gigs a minute at crf0 for your uhd. I setup encoder 4k at 18 mbit 1 pass but can go as high as you like. I'll make youtube video on this . Not sure who would want bt709 hdr conversation. ....older tvs, top boxes, OPPO players.....? People who cannot handle h2645 will love this news....on older pcs or older video cards.....
Tsunamijhoe

Post by Tsunamijhoe »

gereral1 wrote:Exciting news. Decided to visit this topic as there is no info on how to prevent grey video in your hdr sdr conversions. ... read on

Hdr 10bit rec2012 to bt709 8 bit keeping the exact same madvr pixel shader math with my 3dlut is now possible to rip uhd4h hdr rips to bt709 h264 with hdr colors transfer to regular bluray and top boxes with 99 percent color hdr accuracy and NO 8bit banding in conversation. I used Luma scopes rgb parade and tone mapping.. vector scopes were used for the process off creation of this lut . Tools needed are uhd rip. Ffmpeg for raw extraction to crf of 0. My hdr 10mbit to bt709 8bit 3dlut, adobe premiere and mkvtoolnix, audicity for since untouched atmos and dtshd or dtsx track . Subs are done via mkvtoolnix . I was very surprised at how identical it is to madvr algo for sdr conversions burned in. Mine does not crush the whites at 120nits . Be prepared for 5 gigs a minute at crf0 for your uhd. I setup encoder 4k at 18 mbit 1 pass but can go as high as you like. I'll make youtube video on this . Not sure who would want bt709 hdr conversation. ....older tvs, top boxes, OPPO players.....? People who cannot handle h2645 will love this news....on older pcs or older video cards.....
Any chance you have made a youtube video yet on how to do this?
EmKayVe

Post by EmKayVe »

I need some simple settings to re-encode UHD HDR to UHD/HD SDR. Anybody?
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Me and 2 other users have been messing with loopback 4k into madvr for perfect tone mapping sde 8bit 709 with bm4k mini. I can do this on same PC play and capture with 0 dropped frames. This requires HDR video card and bm4k mini decklink. Play at 200nitspixel shader and use vdub to capture the loopback. More settings in madvr and vdub and media express required. Results are perfect 4k sdr baked in or 1080p HDR baked in that is playable on all top boxes and baked in video puts original Blu-ray to shame. If studios released this type of video no one would have bought HDR equipment. I'm not affiliated with releasing 1080p HDR sdr madvr rips but do know the people that do. I'll have to ask them permission to share this to public. This goes beyond scripting tonemapping. In straxrip. With proper video card ssds and capture card this is easy. If you already have makemkv HDR disk file you can loopback into madvr. Hdcp does not matter anymore. 23.976 must maintain thru input thru-put and feedback loop. The only capture card that can do this is BM 4kminidecklink. Even avimedia newest 4k HDR capture card looks great but cannot lock in the 23.976 or pass the proper HDR metadata even though it claims too..... Avidmedia 4k HDR was released month ago. Anyway loopback is best sdr conversion method with baked in madvr 200nits
EmKayVe

Post by EmKayVe »

Thanks for your reply. It sounds to me like there is no way to re-encode the HDR file to SDR in Handbrake. I'm not interested in added hardware like BM capture cards.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Straxrip can do it with some script. I'll make a video on how to convert and setup HDR to sdr conversation. I'm away for week but will share this info as there is 0 info on a proper HDR sdr encode with correct tone mapping in encoder.
EmKayVe

Post by EmKayVe »

gereral1 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:39 pm
Straxrip can do it with some script. I'll make a video on how to convert and setup HDR to sdr conversation. I'm away for week but will share this info as there is 0 info on a proper HDR sdr encode with correct tone mapping in encoder.
That would be awesome thank you!
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

No problem. I'm sure many have been waiting for this info. By doing HDR to sdr it will match madvrs 200niits pixel shader results but you will be able to play these files on any normal Blu-ray player and top box or any TV. Also no hdr or acceleration is needed as the final result will be h264 8bit rec709 at 4k,1440 or 1080p. The conversion looks sharper and looks way better than 1080p Blu-ray that comes with every 4k movie. I will package my special build with installer with video when I get video done. This will make it easy instead of having to add DLLs and script code manually
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That would be quite handy!
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Messing with hable and clip and dgreinhard and another user was messing with NVidia and I'm messing with amd. I also started testing 3dluts in davanci resolve 15 as its free with straxrip to do 420color 8bit from hdr 10bit bt2020 color. My tests are as follows. I cannot upload images here so here is the link to view them

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/best-gu ... ost-493149
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

hable and clip look like garbage in my tests.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Don't know if anyone follows me here and over at redfox but ill be signing off. Im done with hdr encoding and the time it takes to do this stuff. I will finish the 3dlut and release it with s how to do rncoding hdr to sdr for all top boxes, projectors, and 1.4 hdmi tvs so people can watch hdr quality on non hdr equipment. 44 years old and time to put down toys. Life moves way to fast. Count your days all as life speeds by fast. God bless. .
EmKayVe

Post by EmKayVe »

@gereral1

I appreciate your help and know how. I agree, this hobby can be seriously consuming of time and energy. Life is way too short and the days go by way too fast. If you have a chance to show how to do a UHD/HDR to HD/SDR encode I'd certainly appreciate it. Be blessed brother!
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

I will make a video on the process. You will need at least 1 terabyte drive. The movie fate and furious was 50gig est. after encode was 17.8 gig est. This included the full untouched dtshd. The conversion to the intermedia codec was 600gig and the export was 600gig. The lut added took 5 sec. The export is 1.5x faster that the realtime playback. The encode was 49fps at rec709 1080p 8bit. The codec held up well. MAdvr pixel shader is the way to go BUT if your tv in your room,phone or other projectors then you want to convert these with this lut. I was not sure if the 23.976 would remain but after muxing mkv the untouched audio is played perfect and no sinc issues. I put some new screenshots on the link redfox. Go to go to work and ill be home in 5 days. Ill upload the lut and the how to video. Then its time to pack up this journey.