A little confused

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ghost rider
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Anyone with a Oppo udp 203, will it play mkv DTSX files? I'll get one of those. Up

ghost rider
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:03 am

Like I thought for me the Shield is no good for watching 4k movies. I figured out how to get it to decode DTSX and Atmos files. I posted up at the Nvidia forum so far no response. I guess there is no way to fix it. Seems like a pretty big loss of quality.

The mkv files look great from the Sony player.

1080p content looks pretty good. Guess it's the 4k to 1080p.

starmax
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by starmax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:59 pm

ghost rider wrote:Like I thought for me the Shield is no good for watching 4k movies. I figured out how to get it to decode DTSX and Atmos files. I posted up at the Nvidia forum so far no response. I guess there is no way to fix it. Seems like a pretty big loss of quality.

The mkv files look great from the Sony player.

1080p content looks pretty good. Guess it's the 4k to 1080p.
What app are you using for playback?

ghost rider
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 pm

starmax wrote:
ghost rider wrote:Like I thought for me the Shield is no good for watching 4k movies. I figured out how to get it to decode DTSX and Atmos files. I posted up at the Nvidia forum so far no response. I guess there is no way to fix it. Seems like a pretty big loss of quality.

The mkv files look great from the Sony player.

1080p content looks pretty good. Guess it's the 4k to 1080p.
What app are you using for playback?
Kodi

This seems to be an issue with the Shield. What other apps are there I have seen Kodi.

starmax
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by starmax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:37 pm

Well, I'm a Plex guy, so I use Plex. I have Kodi installed on my Shield, but never use it. I'll play around with it this weekend and let you know.

I don't know for sure if VLC is in the TV Google store, but you might check that out.

Edit: checked the Google Store, says VLC is compatible with all versions of Android, so it should be available for the Shield.

ghost rider
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:12 am

starmax wrote:Well, I'm a Plex guy, so I use Plex. I have Kodi installed on my Shield, but never use it. I'll play around with it this weekend and let you know.

I don't know for sure if VLC is in the TV Google store, but you might check that out.

Edit: checked the Google Store, says VLC is compatible with all versions of Android, so it should be available for the Shield.
Thanks I'll check out VLC.

I'm still looking for other options. I find the Shield to be a little quirky. A lot of weird things happen. I was trying to Que up The Martian on both and when I plugged a usb drive into the Shield my TV shuts off. I push a button on my Sony UHD player and my TV shuts off again other things like that. I think my wife will love this and with a built in 500g HDD she can use it as a DVR.

Right now I'm using the demo of WinX HD video converter to convert the MKV files to MTS2 files so I will see if the Sony can decode the audio with these. Someone using a Sony UBP-x800 said it would play MTS2 files fine.

Nope that was a failure.

starmax
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by starmax » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:36 pm

ghost rider wrote:
starmax wrote:Well, I'm a Plex guy, so I use Plex. I have Kodi installed on my Shield, but never use it. I'll play around with it this weekend and let you know.

I don't know for sure if VLC is in the TV Google store, but you might check that out.

Edit: checked the Google Store, says VLC is compatible with all versions of Android, so it should be available for the Shield.
Thanks I'll check out VLC.

I'm still looking for other options. I find the Shield to be a little quirky. A lot of weird things happen. I was trying to Que up The Martian on both and when I plugged a usb drive into the Shield my TV shuts off. I push a button on my Sony UHD player and my TV shuts off again other things like that. I think my wife will love this and with a built in 500g HDD she can use it as a DVR.

Right now I'm using the demo of WinX HD video converter to convert the MKV files to MTS2 files so I will see if the Sony can decode the audio with these. Someone using a Sony UBP-x800 said it would play MTS2 files fine.

Nope that was a failure.
Ran some test today with my shield, got good news for you. I was able to get Dolby Atmos to work on Kodi, Plex, and VLC. Plex and VLC worked right out of the box, but Kodi needed to be configured differently otherwise it was outputting normal Dolby surround. You need to go into system settings – audio. Enable advanced settings, then go down to audio Passthrough, enable that and enable all the Receiver capability options your receiver supports. You might need to restart Kodi for these changes to take perfect, but that should do it for you.

Personally I love my shield, it is so fast and can play so many different things, my only complaint is that I am not a huge fan of android TV.

ghost rider
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Thanks for running the test!!! :D I asked the Shield and it lead me to videos that helped me figure out the audio. Like you found VLC worked with no adjustment. The next and bigger problem if I'm trying to play 4k HDR videos on my 1080P set they look washed out. Both VLC and Kodi looked the same.

starmax
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by starmax » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:56 pm

ghost rider wrote: Thanks for running the test!!! :D I asked the Shield and it lead me to videos that helped me figure out the audio. Like you found VLC worked with no adjustment. The next and bigger problem if I'm trying to play 4k HDR videos on my 1080P set they look washed out. Both VLC and Kodi looked the same.
What you need is an app that will do a "tone map" of HDR content to SDR for non-HDR TVs. Not sure if that exists yet, but I expect media apps to add it slowly this year as more and more HDR content becomes available. An alternative is to use Handbrake to convert your 4k/HDR movie to 1080p/SDR and save 2 copies of your movie.

ghost rider
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Got a Samsung 55qled75 I don't remember the exact model number. Got it from Costco. I have 90 days to return it. I just had to see on my own system what 4k was going to look like. I'm pretty sure the Nvidia shield is going back and I ordered a Oppo udp 203. I'm going to set the 55" plasma up in the living room and use the Sony udp x800 on it.

The shield did look better the washed out effect was gone but Kodi and VLC both played a little jerky. Hopefully the 203 will play the audio in the MKV files correctly.
Oddly enough the Oppo 105d up converted to 4k looks great and in some ways better than the actual 4k disc from the Sony.

This will put on hold my other discussion about setting up a server. On that issue is there a USB based server option? Sounds like a easy upgrade.

DavVador
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by DavVador » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm

ghost rider wrote:Here is a screenshot of Independence Day UHD not sure if this is working correctly. It is making multiple mkv files 37g-39g its on the 4th one now. This is being done off the disc not from a rip. The button to make the mkv became available so I clicked it.
May i ask your EAN code for this disc ? Mine refuses to be read.

ghost rider
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:50 pm

DavVador wrote:
ghost rider wrote:Here is a screenshot of Independence Day UHD not sure if this is working correctly. It is making multiple mkv files 37g-39g its on the 4th one now. This is being done off the disc not from a rip. The button to make the mkv became available so I clicked it.
May i ask your EAN code for this disc ? Mine refuses to be read.
Is that a code on the disc case?

DavVador
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by DavVador » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:01 pm

ghost rider wrote:Is that a code on the disc case?
Yes, under the barcode.

ghost rider
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by ghost rider » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:03 pm

DavVador wrote:
ghost rider wrote:Is that a code on the disc case?
Yes, under the barcode.

Not sure if this is what you want 0 24543 28285 3

Looks like that

DavVador
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: A little confused

Post by DavVador » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:32 am

ghost rider wrote:
DavVador wrote:
ghost rider wrote:Is that a code on the disc case?
Yes, under the barcode.

Not sure if this is what you want 0 24543 28285 3

Looks like that
Yes that's it, thank you very much ;)

Post Reply