Any luck with Dolby Vision titles?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
A.Fenderson

Re: Any luck with Dolby Vision titles?

Post by A.Fenderson »

cmdrdredd wrote:
wiesel wrote:I can see both layers (HDR10 + DV) if I use MKVToolNix. MakeMKV can only see HDR10.
Look again, it says 1080p not anywhere specifying dolby vision or HDR10 there so I don't know what your screenshot is supposed to show us.
I believe for backwards compatibility with the existing UHD-BD specs, Dolby Vision had to be implemented within UHD-BD as a secondary video stream, and not merely metadata within the primary video stream as HDR10 can be (since HDR10 was part of the spec all along). Only 1080p resolution, I believe, is allowable as a secondary video streams within a UHD-BD m2ts, so this "1080p secondary video stream" is actually the "container" for the Dolby Vision metadata.
priitv8

Post by priitv8 »

cmdrdredd wrote:
wiesel wrote:I can see both layers (HDR10 + DV) if I use MKVToolNix. MakeMKV can only see HDR10.
Look again, it says 1080p not anywhere specifying dolby vision or HDR10 there so I don't know what your screenshot is supposed to show us.
Yep. The DoVi enhancement layer for UHD is 1/4 of the frame size, ie 1920x1080.
See the BL;EL column in section 2.1 Dolby Vision bitstream profiles of the document for details:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... 171021.pdf
The profile used on UHD BD is dvhe.07
cmdrdredd

Post by cmdrdredd »

priitv8 wrote:Yep. The DoVi enhancement layer for UHD is 1/4 of the frame size, ie 1920x1080.
See the BL;EL column in section 2.1 Dolby Vision bitstream profiles of the document for details:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... 171021.pdf
The profile used on UHD BD is dvhe.07
That makes more sense.
cbnbmore

Post by cbnbmore »

Badnews wrote:
Metallikahn wrote:With latest Updates I've been able to rip quite a few of my UHD's, a number of which are Dolby Vision titles. I'm just ripping out the main Audio/Video/Subtitle tracks to an MKV file and so far everything is working great on playback except for Dolby Vision. When I try to play a Dolby Vision title on my Oppo 203 it just plays in HDR. (not that that is bad or anything... So far I mostly prefer HDR to DV on most of the movies I've seen it on so far.)

Has anyone else ripped a DV title and been able to get their TV to trip the DV flag on playback? I'm just wondering if MakeMKV is seeing the DV meta data and properly ripping it or not.

Also curious about DTS-X. Atmos is usually listed under the TrueHD track details, but I haven't seen any listing for DTS-X on the discs that have it. (I also don't have a receiver to capable of atmos/dts-x either, so I can't test to see if it is working or not).

Why are you making a MKV for use with a Oppo 203/205?... You can use MakeMKV to make a folder then run that folder in your case from the USB 3.0 port on the back of the Oppo 203 and you'll have everything. You'll have to change the FLAG in the folder to AVCHD which takes 1 second. Leave the dir structure alone in the folder. No need to add a AVCHD dir just change the flag

Using a MKV with a Oppo 203 is fantastic the other benefit of a MKV and a Oppo 203/205 is that it doesn't detect Cinavia in MKV format. Yes UHD a few have Cinavia. Of course it can be removed from the sound track but your down grading to DD51. And most will butcher the sound track. So the easy way around it is MKV. But i'm folder only and I have both 203 and 205.
Ok if I have the files from the rip how does one change the flag? Are you also saying that if the Dolby Vision file has Dolby Atmos that it will play too?
Sevenfeet

Post by Sevenfeet »

I've been ripping UHDs now for the last day and only now realizing that Dolby Vision isn't part of the fun just yet. It is puzzling though from a technical perspective. It's not like DV and MKV can't be a thing together. LG has published a couple of demos showing off DV as a feature of their TVs and those files were MKV. Am I missing something with the technical issues preventing this from happening?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Sevenfeet wrote:I've been ripping UHDs now for the last day and only now realizing that Dolby Vision isn't part of the fun just yet. It is puzzling though from a technical perspective. It's not like DV and MKV can't be a thing together. LG has published a couple of demos showing off DV as a feature of their TVs and those files were MKV. Am I missing something with the technical issues preventing this from happening?
Yes you are. DV is closed source. As with any software development, developers need access to the certain parts/data to have applications succesfully work together.

In this case to allow some sort of passthrough to the hardware or processing within software/containers in some way.

Read this thread for more info.

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17235
Ph886

Post by Ph886 »

Sevenfeet wrote:I've been ripping UHDs now for the last day and only now realizing that Dolby Vision isn't part of the fun just yet. It is puzzling though from a technical perspective. It's not like DV and MKV can't be a thing together. LG has published a couple of demos showing off DV as a feature of their TVs and those files were MKV. Am I missing something with the technical issues preventing this from happening?
The demos are single layer DV, UHDBRs are dual layer. Nothing supports playback of dual layer playback outside of disc playback on UHDBR players.