MKV HDR?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
nathanddrews

Re: MKV HDR?

Post by nathanddrews »

dmillionz wrote:
Eddy555 wrote:Plex doesn't support HDR yet.
Nor Atmos or DTS:X.
Have to use Kodi for the moment.
Plex on my HTPC plays HDR, Atmos and DTS:X just fine. You just have to specify to play the Original file and Bitstream the audio.
+1 to this. As long as you play the original file (no transcoding), it works just fine.

Plex also displays HDR through the AndroidTV app on my Sony X930E.

(Be advised, you will probably need a wired ethernet connection, but that is true of most 1:1 backups)
ttringle

Post by ttringle »

As stated you have to make sure the devices you are playing through support HDR correctly and most of all you have to make sure you have the bandwidth and that Ples for your player is not automatically transcoding or set to anything less than Original. If for any reason the playback of the video is transcoded that will strip the HDR metadata from the playback.
dmillionz

Post by dmillionz »

ttringle wrote:As stated you have to make sure the devices you are playing through support HDR correctly and most of all you have to make sure you have the bandwidth and that Ples for your player is not automatically transcoding or set to anything less than Original. If for any reason the playback of the video is transcoded that will strip the HDR metadata from the playback.
+1 to this. DirectPlay is the key to unaltered audio and video with Plex. BUT, I must add that I no longer use Plex except to transcode movies to other devices. JRiver Media Center with LAV Filters and MadVR does a far better job playing my Audio, Photos, Blu MKV rips, 3D MVC MKV rips and 4K UHD HDR MKV rips. And it does it with ease and pristine picture quality. Plex is still the king of transcoding, but JRMC is no joke for direct media playback.