Stranger Things UHD

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Ronnick

Stranger Things UHD

Post by Ronnick »

I noticed that we still can't decrypt Stranger Things UHD. I submitted my dumps to Mike so hopefully we'll be able to decrypt soon.
Attachments
MKB20_v61_Stranger_Things_Season_1_Disc_1_8379.tgz
(23.71 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
MKB20_v61_Stranger_Things_Season_1_Disc_2_3E81.tgz
(25.46 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
preserve

Re: Stranger Things UHD

Post by preserve »

I too am hoping and waiting for MakeMKV to support this title :)

I submitted my dumps on December 16th and then again on January 22nd, just in case the original email was missed :)
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
Ronnick

Post by Ronnick »

Surely this is not by mistake that the disks haven't been decrypted yet. Something else must be going on...threat of litigation perhaps.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

James over at redfox believs this door will be shut soon. Hope not.....
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

Ronnick wrote:Surely this is not by mistake that the disks haven't been decrypted yet. Something else must be going on...threat of litigation perhaps.
I seriously doubt it. Why would Hollywood wait until now to go after companies like Mike's? I doubt Netflix is going around, quietly issuing legal threats. If so, they might as well shut down all the torrent sites carrying their content.

My suspicion is twofold.

- Something about the dumps isn't quite right. The dumps are really small.
- For whatever reasons, Mike just hasn't gotten around to them. I've been waiting a couple of weeks for four dumps to be processed. Only one has so far, and even that seems like somebody beat me to the punch long ago.

I wouldn't worry. Mike will get to these discs eventually. :)
gereral1 wrote:James over at redfox believs this door will be shut soon. Hope not.....
I wouldn't be surprised if he's right. Of course, the "hole" might be something that can be fixed with new keys, which could be leaked eventually. Hopefully it won't be something crazy like discs that auto-revoke a drive's keys when inserted. (I think I read somewhere that this is a possibility, albeit a last-resort that hasn't been used by anyone yet.)
preserve

Post by preserve »

flashback8 wrote:I doubt Netflix is going around, quietly issuing legal threats. If so, they might as well shut down all the torrent sites carrying their content.
They might as well start with a certain site that sells bootlegs DVDs of tons of shows, and was selling Stranger Things long before the official Blu-ray release was announced, is STILL selling it, and is now selling Season 2!

It's these sites selling bootlegs - and they are working with replication factories, because they produce actual replicated discs and often high quality packaging - that feed a lot of bootlegs sold on eBay. (As soon as the most recent US complete series Star Trek DS9 and Voyager re-release sets were released, the market was flooded with pretty high quality bootlegs imitating the official release, that countless people are buying on eBay, not realizing they are fakes - eBay is still filled with them! I wish you could comment on eBay auctions. I'd comment on every one, telling all those poor people that they are buying a fake.)

I reported the bootleg site to Netflix when petitioning Netflix for an official Blu-ray release of Stranger Things, but obviously Netflix's legal department hasn't cared enough to shut them down.

I have to imagine that bootleg DVD sales cut into the sales of a real product with any customer who only wanted a DVD copy and didn't realize or care that it's not an official product (shocking numbers of people apparently still buy DVDs instead of Blu-rays, which is sales-wise how too many shows, if they even get a physical release, are sadly now being released only on DVD and not on Blu-ray). That seems like a problem for studios that is much more actionable and profitable than targeting torrents - these are people who want to buy a physical release of a show and not just download it, and are buying a bootleg instead of the official product.
flashback8 wrote:- Something about the dumps isn't quite right. The dumps are really small.
Info on the dumps I submitted:
- MKB20_v61_Stranger_Things_Season_1_Disc_1.tgz - 4,705,576 bytes
- MKB20_v61_Stranger_Things_Season_1_Disc_2.tgz - 4,705,984 bytes
flashback8 wrote:- For whatever reasons, Mike just hasn't gotten around to them ... I wouldn't worry. Mike will get to these discs eventually. :)
Yup :)
danBoi2016

Post by danBoi2016 »

they have been cracked by DeUHD!!! LOL u didnt know that
GoofeyGuy

Post by GoofeyGuy »

danBoi2016 wrote:they have been cracked by DeUHD!!! LOL u didnt know that
So ?
Ronnick

Post by Ronnick »

I’m aware. That’s what makes it a bit odd that it wasn’t higher up on the priority list. No worries, I’m sure Mike will get to it when he can. I’m guessing he’s crazy busy as of late!
preserve

Post by preserve »

danBoi2016 wrote:they have been cracked by DeUHD!!! LOL u didnt know that
Yup, you're right! I haven't kept up with knowing what titles are supported by an extremely overpriced program ;)
Ronnick

Post by Ronnick »

Mike is asking for new dumps using the new 1.12.0 version of MakeMKV. I’ll submit a new dump as soon as I can.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

Ronnick wrote:Mike is asking for new dumps using the new .12 version of MakeMKV. I’ll submit a new dump as soon as I can.
Send them to his email. Not sure if he views attachments on these posts.
Ronnick

Post by Ronnick »

Nice! He did say they should only be a few kb in size so hopefully we’ll get it decrypted soon.
mmmkv

Post by mmmkv »

flashback8 wrote:- Something about the dumps isn't quite right. The dumps are really small.
Ronnick wrote:Nice! He did say they should only be a few kb in size so hopefully we’ll get it decrypted soon.
From the new post by Mike it seems that if you've already emailed the first dump (the one that's several MBs) then users can email subsequent smaller in filesize dumps:
The new dumps should be very small if dump was already submitted, only few kilobytes in size.
(Emphasis mine). I'm not entirely sure if my assumption is correct but it seems the smaller (~25KB) dumps may be only changes from the initial, larger in filesize dump? So he'd need both, presumably, if this is so. In my case for example I have several dumps of the same disc, starting with the ~3MB dump, followed by smaller dumps with additional random-looking four character suffixes.
Ronnick

Post by Ronnick »

I suspect the smaller dumps have just narrowed down the data to exactly what Mike needs to decrypt.