How To submit new UHD logs

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
cbnbmore
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 am

How To submit new UHD logs

Post by cbnbmore » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:16 am

New to the forum and just purchased MakeMKV and would love to help the cause. I have about 150 UHD discs and just wanted to know how to submit to Mike new discs that aren't in the Hash database? I scanned through the forum to try and get the answer but no luck. Sorry for what is probably an often asked question. I'm looking to place most of my UHD discs on my NAS. Thanks and sorry again for what is probably a very often asked question. Wish there were stickys.

Woodstock
Posts: 7356
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by Woodstock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am

Quoting from the sticky message at the top of this forum entitled "Hashed Keys" ( http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16959 ) :
As a reminder, if a disk key is not known then protected disc will fail to open. MakeMKV will save a disc dump in this case, called "AACS dump". Please send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

cbnbmore
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 am

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by cbnbmore » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:27 am

Thanks, Must have missed it.

mike admin
Posts: 3832
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Contact:

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by mike admin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

cbnbmore wrote:Thanks, Must have missed it.
Make sure you have a "friendly" drive. Also, please send me just few dumps first.

dazbobaby
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 am
Location: Yorkshire!
Contact:

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by dazbobaby » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:18 pm

how difficult is it to retrieve a key from the dump? I've read elsewhere that Mike says that it's "not trivial", so what's involved?
Image

dazbobaby
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 am
Location: Yorkshire!
Contact:

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by dazbobaby » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:30 pm

I've just installed the trial of AnyDVD and it's decrypted Interstellar that MakeMKV couldn't. So now with AnyDVD running Make MKV is ripping the disk at last.

Is there a way for me to retrieve the hash key this way?

BTW MakeMKV didn't have a hash for this disk... must be another batch with new keys.
Image

mike admin
Posts: 3832
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Contact:

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by mike admin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 pm

dazbobaby wrote:I've just installed the trial of AnyDVD and it's decrypted Interstellar that MakeMKV couldn't. So now with AnyDVD running Make MKV is ripping the disk at last.
AnyDVD has no keys of their own - they just steal hashed keys and import into their database.

cbnbmore
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 am

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by cbnbmore » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:52 am

mike admin wrote:
cbnbmore wrote:Thanks, Must have missed it.
Make sure you have a "friendly" drive. Also, please send me just few dumps first.
I will only send you dumps for disks that don’t work with MakeMKV. That way I’ll know it’s a new variant. Thanks again for all your efforts!

Thekid
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by Thekid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:09 pm

mike admin wrote:
dazbobaby wrote:I've just installed the trial of AnyDVD and it's decrypted Interstellar that MakeMKV couldn't. So now with AnyDVD running Make MKV is ripping the disk at last.
AnyDVD has no keys of their own - they just steal hashed keys and import into their database.
If your program can't do it and AnyDVDHD can, how can you say they steal your hashed keys. I was under the impression all the programs were in this together. To defeat UHD, but I guess I was wrong. I saw they welcomed you to post in their forum. Stupid me. They have always been ahead of the curve.

cbnbmore
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 am

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by cbnbmore » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 pm

I would hope Mike was just having a bad day when he made that comment. Likely that many here use and support both MakeMKV and AnyDVD. Most likely the “secret formula” is becoming less a secret now. My worry is the studios reaction. I think at this point it’s not a huge issue as I think most using the rips are just looking for ways to backup their UHD collection to their storage solutions. I still feel this is perfectly legit if you own the original copy. The problem will be when more transcoded rips start populating the pirate forums. I’m just hoping the studios don’t over react and end up throwing the proverbial baby out with the bath water.

preserve
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Canada

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by preserve » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:27 pm

cbnbmore wrote:The problem will be when more transcoded rips start populating the pirate forums. I’m just hoping the studios don’t over react and end up throwing the proverbial baby out with the bath water.
Already common. And not just transcoded rips - full discs. I don't think studios really care. Yes, they send notices to ISPs, but that seems like a lazy attempt these days. Pirates are always going to pirate, that's a fact of life. However, if studios really wanted to pursue piracy in a way that benefitted them financially, they should be spending their time cracking down on the disc counterfeiters, because those folks are actually making money from people who want to buy discs, and that money should be going to the studios instead.

Every copyright method has been eventually solved. There's no reason to think that any future changes will make anything different. Methods will be solved, pirates will pirate, legitimate owners will make backups.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00

preserve
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Canada

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by preserve » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:49 pm

cbnbmore wrote:I would hope Mike was just having a bad day when he made that comment.
I wasn't going to get into this because it's probably better left alone, but I decided to add a comment anyway.

Obviously Mike is at the top of his game by supporting any disc for which a dump is submitted, usually within a day. I don't see AnyDVD doing that, but then again, I haven't followed their updates closely to see what they're up to. (I think they don't use a key file anymore? So they are now building keys straight into their program so that no one can see what they support, or learn any information about how they support it?)

I wouldn't doubt anything Mike says, and personally I don't believe he'd make such a comment without evidence. For someone of Mike's abilities, I can only imagine it'd be a simple matter for him to disassemble AnyDVD and see exactly what they are doing. But speculation / debate has no point unless Mike feels like explaining it further.

Obviously there is some "competition" because DeUHD is still happily ripping people off, AnyDVD does have a business model to their software, while MakeMKV is completely free with optional paid registration.

In the end, it simply comes down to this: I use (and support) the product I find to be superior for my own needs, and I expect everyone else will do the same.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00

kw123
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:20 am

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by kw123 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 am

Is there anyway i can help create the hashed keys? And help free up some of mike's time?

preserve
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Canada

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by preserve » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:24 pm

kw123 wrote:Is there anyway i can help create the hashed keys? And help free up some of mike's time?
I don't see any time concerns at this point, since the turnaround for new keys usually seems to be within a day or two.

Certainly a critical mass of commonly-owned discs seems to have been reached with MakeMKV supporting 778 discs at last count.

The best way to help is simply submit the dump for any disc that MakeMKV doesn't yet have a key for.

Quoted from the stickied UHD FAQ thread:
How do I discover the key for a disc I have?
Right now there is no public way to do this, however: MakeMKV produces a dump file whenever you try to open a disc for which the key is unknown. If you send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com, the disc will be supported in a future hashed keys update.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00

mike admin
Posts: 3832
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Contact:

Re: How To submit new UHD logs

Post by mike admin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Thekid wrote:
mike admin wrote:
dazbobaby wrote:I've just installed the trial of AnyDVD and it's decrypted Interstellar that MakeMKV couldn't. So now with AnyDVD running Make MKV is ripping the disk at last.
AnyDVD has no keys of their own - they just steal hashed keys and import into their database.
If your program can't do it and AnyDVDHD can, how can you say they steal your hashed keys.
That was the point. If anydvd was able to open your disc, then MakeMKV certainly could. Probably some bad setup with hashed keys location or read error...

Locked