WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
lcgrzy

WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by lcgrzy »

I've looked over the forum and I can't seem to find a concrete answer to the question of what happens when you rip a UHD with Dolby Vision. I've read that MKV does not support Dolby Vision. My question is, when you rip a UHD with Dolby Vision, do you still get HDR 10 data? I'm fine as long as it has HDR 10 and looks good, I don't really need the Dolby Vision.

I just want to know what to expect when I get a title that has Dolby Vision. Also, it might be nice if this info were added to the UHD FAQ sticky.
angelgraves13

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by angelgraves13 »

It rips like a regular UHD title with HDR10. DV is a separate stream that does not copy.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

No definitive answer?

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16726
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 86&start=0

Also no need to create a new thread as there are already several to just post in.

+1 for the sticky!
lcgrzy

Post by lcgrzy »

Thanks, but my search of the forum turned up these two threads, neither of which definitively states that DV rips have HDR 10 with no DV. I made a new thread so that it would be easy for the next guy looking for this info, seeing as how it wasn't part of the FAQ.
EPiPH0N3

Post by EPiPH0N3 »

So far I only tried Transformers (using full backup option in MakeMKV then using BDMV Modifier) and it played back with full menus and DV on my Oppo 203. As stated before there are no software players other then maybe PowerDVD that can handle dual layer DV. Only single layer. Won't work in MKV either cause the specs aren't there yet.
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

EPiPH0N3 wrote:So far I only tried Transformers (using full backup option in MakeMKV then using BDMV Modifier) and it played back with full menus and DV on my Oppo 203. As stated before there are no software players other then maybe PowerDVD that can handle dual layer DV. Only single layer. Won't work in MKV either cause the specs aren't there yet.
Have you got a good link to a guide or what not on this process? I've pretty much always just ripped out the main Audio/video/subtitles as single MKV (which has been bulletproof). It's easily recognized by emby (which transcodes the file as needed for playback on certain devices) and allows me to direct play it on my Oppo 203 via DLNA via my network. The only thing it doesn't do is allow me to get Dolby Vision, which is becoming much more common as of late. I've never done a full disc backup before (I'm currently giving it a try with jumanji). Looks as though it just copies the folders straight from the disc to a folder on the hdd. I'm not entirely sure how well Emby will work with a folder rip. Any way to wrap the whole folder in a MKV container (should I need to)?

Mostly I haven't been overly impressed with DV over HDR10, but The Last Jedi comes out tomorrow, and it looks like the reviews are saying the DV is really good on it, so I'm willing to give the backup route a go.

Where do you even find the BDMV Modifier program? All I can find is a few bad links on google over 4-5 years old.
EPiPH0N3

Post by EPiPH0N3 »

Have you got a good link to a guide or what not on this process? I've pretty much always just ripped out the main Audio/video/subtitles as single MKV (which has been bulletproof). It's easily recognized by emby (which transcodes the file as needed for playback on certain devices) and allows me to direct play it on my Oppo 203 via DLNA via my network. The only thing it doesn't do is allow me to get Dolby Vision, which is becoming much more common as of late. I've never done a full disc backup before (I'm currently giving it a try with jumanji). Looks as though it just copies the folders straight from the disc to a folder on the hdd. I'm not entirely sure how well Emby will work with a folder rip. Any way to wrap the whole folder in a MKV container (should I need to)?

Mostly I haven't been overly impressed with DV over HDR10, but The Last Jedi comes out tomorrow, and it looks like the reviews are saying the DV is really good on it, so I'm willing to give the backup route a go.

Where do you even find the BDMV Modifier program? All I can find is a few bad links on google over 4-5 years old.

Not much of a guide but simple enough:

1. Insert disc and File > Backup > choose to decrypt video
2. Run BDMV Modifier on the ROOT folder (Works in Wine if u need it to - it will be attached to this post)
3. Done

Not sure if it will work with Emby but I just use a USB 3.0 drive hooked into my 203. Hope this helps.
Attachments
BDMV Modifier 2.0.rar
(97.84 KiB) Downloaded 2531 times
VirenRawal

Post by VirenRawal »

Hello friends, I am also interesting in DV. I have did some research and found some interesting facts. I am closely working with Dolby. 1. DV can be remux with mp4, ts and mkv container. 2. But DV officially using mp4 and ts because of mkv is not the right format for professional use.
Last edited by VirenRawal on Sun May 27, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

Not much of a guide but simple enough:

1. Insert disc and File > Backup > choose to decrypt video
2. Run BDMV Modifier on the ROOT folder (Works in Wine if u need it to - it will be attached to this post)
3. Done

Not sure if it will work with Emby but I just use a USB 3.0 drive hooked into my 203. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I'll definitely give it a try!

Grabbed The Last Jedi at midnight and just played the disc since it was late. I gotta say... Still not overly impressed with DV vs HDR10. Seems a lot more washed out to me on most titles. I'm going to rip TLJ today as normal and see if the HDR is any better on my setup. :-)
EPiPH0N3

Post by EPiPH0N3 »

VirenRawal wrote:Hello friends, I am also interesting in DV. I have did some research and found some interesting facts. I am closely working with Dolby. 1. DV can be remux with mp4, ts and mkv container. 2. But DV officially using mp4 and ts because of mkv is not the right format for professional use.
3. 4K UHD disk using m2ts container with hevc profile and dual layer setup. This setup can't be read like DV enable bd player or TVs. But some software like DVDfab 10 detect these files as DV. If can detect correctly, also can remux in mp4, mkv or ts also When dolby using ts container windows can generate preview(only layer , result incorrect colors) but with mp4 even preview can not be generated.

This info is all correct AFAIK and I thank you for sharing it. MKVToolnix can also "see" and mux dual layer DV into an .mkv conatiner but the current playback limitations make it a moot point. Also AFAIK, DV relies on licensing to even be able to pass-through a device so not sure if this is really an MKV issue or if we will have to wait for a software player to pony up for licensing which would make that app definitely not free nor should it be. Also on a side note, I recently tried remuxing Transformers UHD to an MP4 via Hybrid but it stated that HD audio is not supported in the container so that makes MP4 pretty useless for MakeMKV users. MP4 may allow for PCM but I haven't had the need/desire to do this in almost 10 years. So, right now if you want DV+HD audio you have to use ts/m2ts. My above method will allow for full menus + DV/HD audio on an Oppo 203. But, if you have a DV title with Cinavia you will run into problems and have to play it from disc. We'll see what the future holds.

Thanks. I'll definitely give it a try!

Grabbed The Last Jedi at midnight and just played the disc since it was late. I gotta say... Still not overly impressed with DV vs HDR10. Seems a lot more washed out to me on most titles. I'm going to rip TLJ today as normal and see if the HDR is any better on my setup. :-)
NP! May I ask what your set up is cause I find DV to be slightly better than HDR10 on my 2017 LG. Still waiting to see what HDR10+ looks like. Supposed to be equivalent to DV. I'll believe it when I see it.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Actually it may be possible to use something like MadVR to pass-through DV. Madshi, MadVR's creator/developer has said so himself:

Actually, it might be possible. Dolby Vision consists of an additional video stream/layer, and additional metadata. What madVR could in theory do is:

1) madVR could make use of the additional video layer + additional metadata to move the video up from 10bit to 12bit+. This should produce a benefit for every display, regardless of whether it supports Dolby Vision or not, or whether it even supports HDR or not.

2) madVR could behave like any official Dolby Vision source device and send the video to a Dolby Vision compatible display, including all the dynamic metadata etc. This is theoretically possible, with any HDMI 1.4+ GPU, as long as it supports a perfect RGB 8bit "passthrough", where all bits stay untouched by the GPU driver (and Windows). The reason this would work (if perfect passthrough is available) is that the dynamic Dolby metadata is actually encoded into the image pixels, as a sort of watermark. So it doesn't require any specific HDMI version, and it even works if there's an AVR in the middle which doesn't support Dolby Vision (as long as the AVR keeps the watermarked pixels untouched).

The whole Dolby Vision processing is very complicated, but I would be willing to at least give 1) a try, maybe even 2), but it would require me to get access to the decoded Dolby Vision enhancement layer, plus to all the added Dolby metadata information contained in the base + enhancement layers.

So basically for any of this to work, first the splitter + decoder would have to be enhanced to deliver the Dolby Vision information to madVR. Then I could look into how to process it all.

If someone can do it, I believe he could. There has also been mention of possible future support for HDR10+ as that will be open source. His development and features on MadVR are amazing, so it may be a matter of just being patient.
EPiPH0N3

Post by EPiPH0N3 »

Yeah...my 'theory' is that the HTPC crowd will get software DV decoding before everybody else. I haven't used an HTPC since 2002 and that was just two RCA cables running from a Dell playing DivX/XviD files, so I and a lot of others will have to wait for the Android solution. Madshi's THE man! Eac3to cured my PCM woes of 2007. Never really kept up with MadVR but, if anybody 'could' do it, it would be madshi.
VirenRawal

Post by VirenRawal »

DV
Last edited by VirenRawal on Sun May 27, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPiPH0N3

Post by EPiPH0N3 »

VirenRawal wrote:Hi, just received an information from my source that cyberlink is trying to access Dolby vision playback licence but Dolby is not ready yet because of high rate of piracy in pc segment and lack of HDCP 2.2 and 10-bit HEVC. Only Intel 7th gen and above have 10 -bit hevc.
Some other information also found that LG, Sony and Vizio TV can not read UHD dual layer setup. 2nd layer data must be embedded in primary layer. Only DV enable BD Player can handle dual layer streams. Now a engineer confirmed me from a software company DVD fab that he can embedded 2nd layer data in primary layer like Dolby sample files have. But some legal problems he dont want. Dolby provide CMU unit (Content mapping unit) for this work. The Dolby Content Mapping Unit is a 1U workstation (Supermicro) and is available only from Dolby authorized system integrators. Wait and watch. definitely, We can find solution.

This is super quality info...thanks a bunch. This will have to be some kind of inside job from someone working in an authoring house which is so 2000's. Maybe the dev from DVDFab should contact madshi. That might work as well. PowerDVD doesn't even have DV decoder so that's why this hasn't been handled on the HTPC side yet. You should suggest to your source at Dolby that easy copying/digitizing of their DV UHD's would lead to more sales/rentals of said UHD's. Their view on copying is very antiquated. More copies = more sales. It's literally NOT rocket science.
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

EPiPH0N3 wrote:
NP! May I ask what your set up is cause I find DV to be slightly better than HDR10 on my 2017 LG. Still waiting to see what HDR10+ looks like. Supposed to be equivalent to DV. I'll believe it when I see it.
My current setup is an LG OLED65B7A being fed video direct from an Oppo 203. Audio is routed direct from the Oppo's audio HDMI to an Emotiva UMC-1.

My library of MKV's is kept on a dedicated server (currently 19TB, but in need of expansion in the near future) running unRAID. To manage my collection I use emby Server (running via docker on the unRAID). This allows me to easily browse and play my files across multiple devices (providing the device has an emby client app available). The Oppo does not have an app, but my iphone/ipad does and both support Playto via DLNA. Set the player to the Oppo 203 in the iphone app, browse to your movie, select play, and the MKV starts playing on the oppo just as if you had loaded it into a memory stick and plugged it into the USB port on the Oppo directly.

Obviously, for DV titles, I've been loading the disc directly. I'm not saying DV doesn't look good on my setup, but for the most part most titles seem to look better, to my eyes, on HDR. Notable exceptions being Valerian and maybe Atomic Blonde. I haven't tried the HDR version of The Last Jedi yet, but have read elsewhere that the wash out I was noticing (especially in Space scenes, where the black starfield looked really gray compared to the black bars on top/bottom of the movie) has more to do with the way the movie was mastered (ie, they meant to do that! ughh...) than with DV vs HDR or even the playback equipment. It's really odd, since I watched the Force Awakens (3D bluray rip) on my setup monday night and (while you could tell it lacked the high Dynamics seen in most UHD's) the Blacks were Black and the white's were bright. Starfields blended perfectly into the black bars on the top and bottom. Even with out HDR, there was decent amount of Pop to be had and enjoyed. TLJ kind of seemed muted through out. I was just really hoping it would present more like Gaurdians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (still my goto demo disc to show off my system) or Valerian in that regard.