WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
olevelo

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by olevelo »

thelittleworm wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:24 pm
You guys do realize you can make an MP4 (I know not MKV) Dolby Vision back up from an ISO?

You'll need to demux an ISO and grab both video layers. Than you need to run it through a Dolby Vision Mp4muxer which is available for free online. The only caveat is the audio has to be in ac3 format.

But if you really want a Dolby Vision remux it's the only way.
Source? First I've heard of any successful playback of a DV rip on an LG.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:00 am
or you could just use a pc the best platform ever and use it as a m2ts file and have Dolby Vision, HDR 10, Atmos, DTS X, True HD, DTS MA HD
How do you play DV files on PC? I can play HDR10 no problem but I haven't seen any way to play even the demo DV files.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

olevelo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:01 am
Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:00 am
or you could just use a pc the best platform ever and use it as a m2ts file and have Dolby Vision, HDR 10, Atmos, DTS X, True HD, DTS MA HD
How do you play DV files on PC? I can play HDR10 no problem but I haven't seen any way to play even the demo DV files.
i can play them but the colors are off by like 90 degrees and even if you change the color by 90 it still looks off. Windows 10 does support Dolby vision out it is in some games we just need a player that supports it.
sorry if i got your hopes up there really just meant m2ts would be the better format to keep DV and all the good sound
ImageImage
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:52 am
i can play them but the colors are off by like 90 degrees and even if you change the color by 90 it still looks off. Windows 10 does support Dolby vision out it is in some games we just need a player that supports it.
sorry if i got your hopes up there really just meant m2ts would be the better format to keep DV and all the good sound
ImageImage
Yeah the way you worded it was like that was already the best solution, which sent me on an hour long wild goose chase haha.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, there's no player, not even official ones like PowerDVD, that supports DV on the PC. And I'm not sure there ever will be. DV has to be licensed to implement it. It would be nice though.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

SamuriHL wrote:Yea, there's no player, not even official ones like PowerDVD, that supports DV on the PC. And I'm not sure there ever will be. DV has to be licensed to implement it. It would be nice though.
Exactly, you want to watch REAL Dolby Vision buy the disc and a good disc player. Remuxing in any fashion defeats the purpose

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

spl147 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:38 pm
SamuriHL wrote:Yea, there's no player, not even official ones like PowerDVD, that supports DV on the PC. And I'm not sure there ever will be. DV has to be licensed to implement it. It would be nice though.
Exactly, you want to watch REAL Dolby Vision buy the disc and a good disc player. Remuxing in any fashion defeats the purpose

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
It doesn't defeat the purpose, it makes it easier to access. Instead of searching for the disc and loading it and dealing with all the faff, just load up Kodi and go. I don't want yet another single use device just to play the discs I do own when I can just use my PC's drive. If we're still buying the discs we should be able to access it however we like.
thelittleworm

Post by thelittleworm »

olevelo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:10 am
thelittleworm wrote:
You guys do realize you can make an MP4 (I know not MKV) Dolby Vision back up from an ISO?

You'll need to demux an ISO and grab both video layers. Than you need to run it through a Dolby Vision Mp4muxer which is available for free online. The only caveat is the audio has to be in ac3 format.

https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... bbd3b31d76

*YOU NEED AN ISO OF THE MOVIE! You cannot do this with any pre-existing remuxes since they actually remove the Dolby Vision layer!
*Right now we are limited to only MP4 and AC3 audio. I am trying to figure out and hoping MakeMKV guys figure out a way to convert the MP4 into an MKV and still trigger dolbyvision

The steps are:
1. Make ISO of movie. I have only tested this with Black Panther since that's the only one I own. I will be buying Gladiator this weekend to test out though.

2. Use TS Muxer to open the ISO. Find the correct M2TS file and demux the following files:
A. HEVC1 in 4K (Base layer)
B. HEVC 2 in 1080p (this is the dolby vision enhancement layer)
C. Audio track which you will have to convert to AC3. This is a hard line limitation- you need to use AC3!!!

3. Once you have HEVC1, HEVC2, and the Audio track. Run Dolby Vision MP4Muxer (https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base)
DolbyVision MP4 Muxer only works in Command Prompt so you have to navigate to the corresponding folders where the files are and type

mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file (baselayername.hevc1) --input-file (dvlayername.hevc2) --input-file (audio.ac3) --media-lang eng --output-file (nameofmovie).mp4

It sounds like its complicated, but it isn't. The entire process took me an hour to figure out, but once I did it, I sold my Xbox One X, because I'm now using my LG USB to play Dolby Vision MP4's! The only big limitation is the inability to
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

olevelo wrote:
thelittleworm wrote:

Nevermind, I found the information myself. There's two threads about it, one here:

https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 1&start=70

And the other on a Reddit subreddit I'm not going to link here. But the short of it is use tsmuxer to separate the streams from the m2ts file (I haven't tried yet to see if you can do it from an mkv, but if the DV layer is stored in there then it should work) using the demux option. For some reason eac3to only pulled the regular video layer and not the DV layer, even though it saw it. Download the mp4muxer from Dolby:

https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... 64bits.exe

And run:

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file <Your BL File>.hevc --input-file <Your EL File>.hevc --input-file <Your AC3 File>.ac3 --media-lang eng --output-file <Your Output File>.mp4

Where BL is the big hevc file and EL is the smaller (1080p DV layer) file. According to all the sources, AC3 or EAC3 are the only things that work, so you have to convert TrueHD if your UHD doesn't have one.

I confirmed this process works for playback on my LG C8 OLED, and someone with a Vizio said it works for them too. I didn't even use a USB drive, I accessed the mp4 from my PC's DLNA server in the Pictures and Videos app on the TV. Unfortunately the Nvidia Shield still doesn't output DV, but it does still fallback to HDR10.

Now, if we could leverage all of this somehow to get the same in an MKV with the Atmos track, we're on to something!
thelittleworm

Post by thelittleworm »

olevelo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:22 pm
olevelo wrote:
thelittleworm wrote:

Nevermind, I found the information myself. There's two threads about it, one here:

https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 1&start=70

And the other on a Reddit subreddit I'm not going to link here. But the short of it is use tsmuxer to separate the streams from the m2ts file (I haven't tried yet to see if you can do it from an mkv, but if the DV layer is stored in there then it should work) using the demux option. For some reason eac3to only pulled the regular video layer and not the DV layer, even though it saw it. Download the mp4muxer from Dolby:

https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... 64bits.exe

And run:

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file <Your BL File>.hevc --input-file <Your EL File>.hevc --input-file <Your AC3 File>.ac3 --media-lang eng --output-file <Your Output File>.mp4

Where BL is the big hevc file and EL is the smaller (1080p DV layer) file. According to all the sources, AC3 or EAC3 are the only things that work, so you have to convert TrueHD if your UHD doesn't have one.

I confirmed this process works for playback on my LG C8 OLED, and someone with a Vizio said it works for them too. I didn't even use a USB drive, I accessed the mp4 from my PC's DLNA server in the Pictures and Videos app on the TV. Unfortunately the Nvidia Shield still doesn't output DV, but it does still fallback to HDR10.

Now, if we could leverage all of this somehow to get the same in an MKV with the Atmos track, we're on to something!
Yeap! Since we have the MP4 now - we could probably make an MKV out of it. The problem is - no one knows about this method and even fewer care to do so :(
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's actually quite interesting given that the source for it is available. In theory, someone might be able to look at the source and see how it muxes things together. I've no idea if that'd help get it into an MKV format or not. MP4 containers don't support TrueHD (i.e. ATMOS) so ideally you'd want it in another container that is hopefully supported by the players of the TV's. I've yet to even look at the player on my C8 so I've no idea what it supports for containers. In any case, that's an interesting find for sure.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:13 am
That's actually quite interesting given that the source for it is available. In theory, someone might be able to look at the source and see how it muxes things together. I've no idea if that'd help get it into an MKV format or not. MP4 containers don't support TrueHD (i.e. ATMOS) so ideally you'd want it in another container that is hopefully supported by the players of the TV's. I've yet to even look at the player on my C8 so I've no idea what it supports for containers. In any case, that's an interesting find for sure.
Yeah, exactly (the source and finding a way to mux it). As for the C8, it plays MKV's just fine through the Pictures and Videos app, either over DLNA or USB. The problem is getting it to play MKV with DV. But it's really a non-issue for the LG's anyway, because they don't have eARC, so you can only get DD+ at best from anything played internally (and looks like we at least have this solution with the MP4s now!). What we really need is for an external player like the Shield or Fire TV (I don't care about the Apple TV since I don't have one, but have the other two!) to play these files, so we can get Atmos directly to the AVR.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

SamuriHL wrote:
just whip up a script for it in java for it lol cant be that different from fxzs and sbfs lol, i remember us always helping all those people on xda and droidrzr lol
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:20 am
SamuriHL wrote:
just whip up a script for it in java for it lol cant be that different from fxzs and sbfs lol, i remember us always helping all those people on xda and droidrzr lol
It's uh QUITE a bit different. LOL But I did grab the source. I'll probably take a look at it next week when I get a free minute. Unlikely I'll be able to do anything with it but I am curious.
thelittleworm

Post by thelittleworm »

It can't be that crazy. Someone should be able to figure it out and it could lead us to Dolby vision mkv!