WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
olevelo

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by olevelo »

thelittleworm wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:57 pm
It can't be that crazy. Someone should be able to figure it out and it could lead us to Dolby vision mkv!
Unfortunately I think it's on the playback side, not the storage. Since the MP4 is just storing the dual layer stream just like we've already been able to do with MKV. It's just that the LG (and presumably Vizio) are able to play back the dual stream MP4.

I think our best bets are either to figure out how to jam TrueHD Atmos in MP4 (which doesn't help much since the only things that seem to play these back are the TVs themselves and you can't pass that stream to a receiver anyway), or get Kodi and/or other programs to playback the dual stream MKVs. Rumor is the Shield will get DV output in a future update, and maybe that is part of the solution.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Not to get too far off topic but where did you see that the SHIELD is getting DV support? Nothing I've read shows that.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:20 am
Not to get too far off topic but where did you see that the SHIELD is getting DV support? Nothing I've read shows that.
Like I said, just rumors. There was a recent discussion on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidT ... on_or_not/) and a couple references to vague Nvidia comments that it would. One of the biggest points is their upcoming BFGD's that will have a built-in Shield. Obviously the hardware is different though so they may not backport all features (but almost no way that one doesn't get DV support). Most likely they'll announce a new one at CES in a couple of weeks that will support it...making my two week old Shield obsolete haha.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

We'll just say I have my doubts on that and leave it at that. Rumors are fun but I don't see any real evidence.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

wahidovic123 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:04 pm
I got stuck in step two
how can I use TS Muxer to open the ISO?
thank you for your explanation
I'm trying to follow your steps step by step
Try doing folder type backup with makemkv which gives you the folder structure of the disc instead of ISO. Then just used TSMuxer on the main movie m2ts. That's how I did it with no issue.
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

I have a cheaper than cheap Alfawise H96 Pro + android box based on the Amlogic S912 chipset, which, on paper, does DV. In the (very crappy) android 7.1.2 OS it comes with, there are actually several options for DV, and surprisingly the build in (crappy) video player will actually show a DV logo when playing these remuxed mp4s! However, unfortunately, this does not make my LG E6 switch to DV :/ Maybe this is a place to start for an alternative to buying a Sony X700 or Oppo?
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Epedemic wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 pm
I have a cheaper than cheap Alfawise H96 Pro + android box based on the Amlogic S912 chipset, which, on paper, does DV. In the (very crappy) android 7.1.2 OS it comes with, there are actually several options for DV, and surprisingly the build in (crappy) video player will actually show a DV logo when playing these remuxed mp4s! However, unfortunately, this does not make my LG E6 switch to DV :/ Maybe this is a place to start for an alternative to buying a Sony X700 or Oppo?
What do you mean that the video player shows a DV logo, but the LG doesn't switch?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

olevelo wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:57 am
Epedemic wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 pm
What do you mean that the video player shows a DV logo, but the LG doesn't switch?
yea no kidding lol. not sure where else a dolby vision logo would appear but the one your tv has. I have an s912 box running newer android with the DV on off option too, I suppose I could try it, but I already know what the answer will be :lol:
tr000

Post by tr000 »

I have no luck playing DV MP4s on my TCL TV. Any way to combine the 4K and 1080p DV layer found in these files to one stream that has DV, for example the LG DV demo files with one DV video track? Those work on my TV.
stephon1024

Post by stephon1024 »

olevelo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:22 pm
olevelo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:10 am
thelittleworm wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:24 pm
You guys do realize you can make an MP4 (I know not MKV) Dolby Vision back up from an ISO?

You'll need to demux an ISO and grab both video layers. Than you need to run it through a Dolby Vision Mp4muxer which is available for free online. The only caveat is the audio has to be in ac3 format.

But if you really want a Dolby Vision remux it's the only way.
Source? First I've heard of any successful playback of a DV rip on an LG.
Nevermind, I found the information myself. There's two threads about it, one here:

https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 1&start=70

And the other on a Reddit subreddit I'm not going to link here. But the short of it is use tsmuxer to separate the streams from the m2ts file (I haven't tried yet to see if you can do it from an mkv, but if the DV layer is stored in there then it should work) using the demux option. For some reason eac3to only pulled the regular video layer and not the DV layer, even though it saw it. Download the mp4muxer from Dolby:

https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... 64bits.exe

And run:

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file <Your BL File>.hevc --input-file <Your EL File>.hevc --input-file <Your AC3 File>.ac3 --media-lang eng --output-file <Your Output File>.mp4

Where BL is the big hevc file and EL is the smaller (1080p DV layer) file. According to all the sources, AC3 or EAC3 are the only things that work, so you have to convert TrueHD if your UHD doesn't have one.

I confirmed this process works for playback on my LG C8 OLED, and someone with a Vizio said it works for them too. I didn't even use a USB drive, I accessed the mp4 from my PC's DLNA server in the Pictures and Videos app on the TV. Unfortunately the Nvidia Shield still doesn't output DV, but it does still fallback to HDR10.

Now, if we could leverage all of this somehow to get the same in an MKV with the Atmos track, we're on to something!
Do I have to build the mp4muxer_64bits.exe using Microsoft Visual Studio? Can't find a download anywhere and the original method posted by thelittleworm gives me a file output... but won't play on my LG C9. I'm literally using the exact code with the default mp4muxer that comes from the dolby repository on github...

I just feel like I'm missing something. The .mp4 output will play on VLC, but it shows the video tracks as separate (the BL and EL).

Almost feel like the newest version of mp4muxer (1.1) isn't as stable as when this was originally posted...
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

All of this has changed quite a bit now. For the mp4 route, theres a tool from yusecope in that thread that automates all of this. There's also now limited DV support in makemkv, but you can't play them directly yet. You have to convert to a ts first. There's two different threads on all of it.