WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Metallikahn
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by Metallikahn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Just wanted to throw an update here. Watched TLJ HDR version I ripped last night. MASSIVE improvement! This is how I expected it to look in DV. Turns out it IS my TV. Seems as though raised black levels on DV content is an issue on the LG OLEDs. The latest firmware seems to take care of this, but it hasn't been pushed out to US owners yet. I'm going to grab it off the Korean site and give it a try later this afternoon. Still, even if it does correct the black levels in DV, I'm not sure if there will be enough of a difference to warrant all the trouble of getting a DV playable mkv. If I had the access to all the equipment and knowledge to properly and accurately calibrate my display for all the various high dynamic formats, then maybe one would see a difference, but at this point that would cost more than I paid for the tv. Oh well. :D

VirenRawal
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 am

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by VirenRawal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:35 am

DV
Last edited by VirenRawal on Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sevenfeet
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by Sevenfeet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Metallikahn wrote:
EPiPH0N3 wrote:
NP! May I ask what your set up is cause I find DV to be slightly better than HDR10 on my 2017 LG. Still waiting to see what HDR10+ looks like. Supposed to be equivalent to DV. I'll believe it when I see it.
My current setup is an LG OLED65B7A being fed video direct from an Oppo 203. Audio is routed direct from the Oppo's audio HDMI to an Emotiva UMC-1.

My library of MKV's is kept on a dedicated server (currently 19TB, but in need of expansion in the near future) running unRAID. To manage my collection I use emby Server (running via docker on the unRAID). This allows me to easily browse and play my files across multiple devices (providing the device has an emby client app available). The Oppo does not have an app, but my iphone/ipad does and both support Playto via DLNA. Set the player to the Oppo 203 in the iphone app, browse to your movie, select play, and the MKV starts playing on the oppo just as if you had loaded it into a memory stick and plugged it into the USB port on the Oppo directly.

Obviously, for DV titles, I've been loading the disc directly. I'm not saying DV doesn't look good on my setup, but for the most part most titles seem to look better, to my eyes, on HDR. Notable exceptions being Valerian and maybe Atomic Blonde. I haven't tried the HDR version of The Last Jedi yet, but have read elsewhere that the wash out I was noticing (especially in Space scenes, where the black starfield looked really gray compared to the black bars on top/bottom of the movie) has more to do with the way the movie was mastered (ie, they meant to do that! ughh...) than with DV vs HDR or even the playback equipment. It's really odd, since I watched the Force Awakens (3D bluray rip) on my setup monday night and (while you could tell it lacked the high Dynamics seen in most UHD's) the Blacks were Black and the white's were bright. Starfields blended perfectly into the black bars on the top and bottom. Even with out HDR, there was decent amount of Pop to be had and enjoyed. TLJ kind of seemed muted through out. I was just really hoping it would present more like Gaurdians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (still my goto demo disc to show off my system) or Valerian in that regard.
Your setup is much like mine. I have a LG OLED 65E6P and a LG OLED 55B6P. The E6 in my home theater is fed by my Oppo 205 and an Apple TV 4K via a Marantz 7703 pre-pro. The B6 in the bedroom just has an older Apple TV and the built in apps. I finally got ahold of a UHD friendly drive to begin ripping my growing collection of UHD titles and now I've read here that Dolby Vision isn't part of the fun yet. I don't use a HTPC so I have no interest in using software solutions to get Dolby Vision that way. I just want MKV rips fed from my Plex server (40 TB) mainly just doing DLNA duty for the Oppo, TV and Apple TV. Ripping media has been a godsend in the last several years allowing me to get easy, high quality access to my titles and put the fragile discs away from the kids. Most new titles have streaming options but much of my older BD library doesn't. And of course, streaming, while extremely flexible in our house (Comcast Gigabit, no data caps) doesn't quite have the video data quality yet and certainly doesn't have the audio quality.

MKV and DV is a real thing...I have some LG/Dolby demo files that do just that and are freely available out there. The problem is seems is reverse engineering this DV metadata layer in a manner that the DV software in a compatible device will understand. I'm sure someone will get it right with MakeMKV eventually and I look forward to that day.

buffalo master
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by buffalo master » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:03 am

VirenRawal wrote:Hello friends, I am also interesting in DV. I have did some research and found some interesting facts. I am closely working with Dolby. 1. DV can be remux with mp4, ts and mkv container. 2. But DV officially using mp4 and ts because of mkv is not the right format for professional use.
3. 4K UHD disk using m2ts container with hevc profile and dual layer setup. This setup can't be read like DV enable bd player or TVs. But some software like DVDfab 10 detect these files as DV. If can detect correctly, also can remux in mp4, mkv or ts also When dolby using ts container windows can generate preview(only layer , result incorrect colors) but with mp4 even preview can not be generated.
I am posting some DV videos sample links that any one can use in 2017 LG OLED or LED TV. LG 2016 OLED TV also enable DV but these files can not use with 2016 models because Dolby Vision with 60 fps. 2016 LG TV only support 30 fps with DV. only this file you can run 2016 LG TV Dolby OnOff (Dolby Vision) Anyone can download these files from my link or can email me for more details. friend send these files to every community that can crack the method It is not impossible, i know. I am also trying to find solution. If any other information found, i will inform you all. dolbyvisionhdr@gmail.com Download link-https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Thanks for these files!

Also, the .ts do in fact work on the 2016 OLED's. At least the E6 series. I played all of them through the internal Plex app. 60fps worked fine, Dolby Vision popped up for all. The .mp4 files would not play.

Can DVDFab rip to .ts?

VirenRawal
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 am

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by VirenRawal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 am

DV
Last edited by VirenRawal on Sun May 27, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buffalo master
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by buffalo master » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

VirenRawal wrote:No DVDFab can;nt convert mp4 to ts but if you want i can convert any DV mp4 file to .m2ts and .ts. I will convert and upload. share link with you.
What software you use to do that?

Sevenfeet
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by Sevenfeet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:06 pm

buffalo master wrote:
VirenRawal wrote:Hello friends, I am also interesting in DV. I have did some research and found some interesting facts. I am closely working with Dolby. 1. DV can be remux with mp4, ts and mkv container. 2. But DV officially using mp4 and ts because of mkv is not the right format for professional use.
3. 4K UHD disk using m2ts container with hevc profile and dual layer setup. This setup can't be read like DV enable bd player or TVs. But some software like DVDfab 10 detect these files as DV. If can detect correctly, also can remux in mp4, mkv or ts also When dolby using ts container windows can generate preview(only layer , result incorrect colors) but with mp4 even preview can not be generated.
I am posting some DV videos sample links that any one can use in 2017 LG OLED or LED TV. LG 2016 OLED TV also enable DV but these files can not use with 2016 models because Dolby Vision with 60 fps. 2016 LG TV only support 30 fps with DV. only this file you can run 2016 LG TV Dolby OnOff (Dolby Vision) Anyone can download these files from my link or can email me for more details. friend send these files to every community that can crack the method It is not impossible, i know. I am also trying to find solution. If any other information found, i will inform you all. dolbyvisionhdr@gmail.com Download link-https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Thanks for these files!

Also, the .ts do in fact work on the 2016 OLED's. At least the E6 series. I played all of them through the internal Plex app. 60fps worked fine, Dolby Vision popped up for all. The .mp4 files would not play.

Can DVDFab rip to .ts?
I have an E6 hooked up to a Oppo 205 through a Dolby Vision compatible Marantz 7703. If you play the DV 60 fps files through the Oppo, then the Oppo downrezzes them to 1080p in order to keep a 60 fps presentation via Dolby Vision.

I have the same NASA video in 4K/HDR10/60fps and that plays without modification on the E6.

buffalo master
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by buffalo master » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Sevenfeet wrote:
buffalo master wrote:
VirenRawal wrote:Hello friends, I am also interesting in DV. I have did some research and found some interesting facts. I am closely working with Dolby. 1. DV can be remux with mp4, ts and mkv container. 2. But DV officially using mp4 and ts because of mkv is not the right format for professional use.
3. 4K UHD disk using m2ts container with hevc profile and dual layer setup. This setup can't be read like DV enable bd player or TVs. But some software like DVDfab 10 detect these files as DV. If can detect correctly, also can remux in mp4, mkv or ts also When dolby using ts container windows can generate preview(only layer , result incorrect colors) but with mp4 even preview can not be generated.
I am posting some DV videos sample links that any one can use in 2017 LG OLED or LED TV. LG 2016 OLED TV also enable DV but these files can not use with 2016 models because Dolby Vision with 60 fps. 2016 LG TV only support 30 fps with DV. only this file you can run 2016 LG TV Dolby OnOff (Dolby Vision) Anyone can download these files from my link or can email me for more details. friend send these files to every community that can crack the method It is not impossible, i know. I am also trying to find solution. If any other information found, i will inform you all. dolbyvisionhdr@gmail.com Download link-https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Thanks for these files!

Also, the .ts do in fact work on the 2016 OLED's. At least the E6 series. I played all of them through the internal Plex app. 60fps worked fine, Dolby Vision popped up for all. The .mp4 files would not play.

Can DVDFab rip to .ts?
I have an E6 hooked up to a Oppo 205 through a Dolby Vision compatible Marantz 7703. If you play the DV 60 fps files through the Oppo, then the Oppo downrezzes them to 1080p in order to keep a 60 fps presentation via Dolby Vision.

I have the same NASA video in 4K/HDR10/60fps and that plays without modification on the E6.
I was playing through the internal Plex app on the TV itself. Unless the TV is scaling down to 1080p, I was getting full frame rate with Dolby Vision at 4K.

Sevenfeet
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by Sevenfeet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 pm

buffalo master wrote: I was playing through the internal Plex app on the TV itself. Unless the TV is scaling down to 1080p, I was getting full frame rate with Dolby Vision at 4K.
Unlikely. The TV isn't capable of Dolby Vision content unless it's 24 or 30 fps (2017 and 2018 sets don't have this limitation). As an example, there are videos on the download site like "Everest" that are 4K videos but 24 fps and play without any modification on the E6. But if you try others like the NASA video at 60 fps, you still get 60 fps/DV but it's only displayed at 1080p (though the Oppo).

The Plex app on these LG televisions (WebOS 3.0) is a bit old and limited as far as what content it will send as DirectPlay. Otherwise Plex will ask your server to do a transcode and depending on the horsepower of the server, you may not be able to do real time transcodes at 4K resolution. You have a better chance with the "Photos and Videos" app and asking the Plex server to do DLNA service to the TV.

While its disappointing that Dolby Vision is only 24/30 fps on these TVs, it's not the end of the world. Just about all commercial content in Dolby Vision are 24 fps movies anyway. HDR10 & HLG HDR can both do 60 fps on these sets which is likely what we'll see for anything 60 fps or eventual HDR capable broadcast TV.

The sample HDR archive in this thread could still use a couple of MKV samples for the sake of getting MakeMKV to be Dolby Vision compatible for rips. They are out there (I have two).

jriddle
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:33 am

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by jriddle » Thu May 03, 2018 2:36 pm

EPiPH0N3 wrote:So far I only tried Transformers (using full backup option in MakeMKV then using BDMV Modifier) and it played back with full menus and DV on my Oppo 203. As stated before there are no software players other then maybe PowerDVD that can handle dual layer DV. Only single layer. Won't work in MKV either cause the specs aren't there yet.
I'm getting an Oppo 205 and was curious to how you play the DV complete backups on the 203. Do you stream from a shared drive on a PC? or do you direct connect to the 203 USB?

Thanks,
John

buffalo master
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by buffalo master » Fri May 04, 2018 6:41 pm

jriddle wrote:I'm getting an Oppo 205 and was curious to how you play the DV complete backups on the 203. Do you stream from a shared drive on a PC? or do you direct connect to the 203 USB?
+1

I wasn't planning on shelling out for an expensive Oppo, but if they can play DV rips from MakeMKV then that is something I'm interested in and willing to pay for.

st4evr
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by st4evr » Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 pm

buffalo master wrote:+1

I wasn't planning on shelling out for an expensive Oppo, but if they can play DV rips from MakeMKV then that is something I'm interested in and willing to pay for.
As it has been discussed in this very thread and several others, it is important to note that MKV containers currently DO NOT support DV at this time (at least the dual layer DV which is used by UHD BDs) just so that it's all clear.

Using an UDP-203 and playing FULL 1:1 rips has been successful. So, doing a FULL backup with MakeMKV can very well work. Meaning, hooking up the 203 to a source that has the FULL UHD BD ripped folder structure.

Example discussion:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-r ... d-938.html

A quick search in Google will also yield many other similar posts as well as ideas for setting this up.

VirenRawal
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 am

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by VirenRawal » Thu May 10, 2018 10:43 am

DV
Last edited by VirenRawal on Sun May 27, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodstock
Posts: 5356
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by Woodstock » Fri May 11, 2018 2:56 pm

VirenRawal, this is not really a forum for discussing how to convert files to other formats.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

buffalo master
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: WANTED: Results of UHD Rips with Dolby Vision

Post by buffalo master » Sun May 13, 2018 1:00 am

VirenRawal wrote:Dear Friends Please check this file and send me feedback, specially who have 2016 dolby vision models. bit rate is not very high that why you can feel little quality issue. Difficult to upload big files in my country, internet is very slow. I want to know about playback issue, color issue, sound issue or any other that you want to share with me. This file with .m2ts container and playing in my Vizio P series can play this file with DV. please check and send your feedback so that can make proccess to convert DV blu ray to playble DV file in TVs and Blu Ray

[link removed]
PM me link and I will test. I have 2016 LG OLED.

Post Reply