Attention. Ver 2.1 protection out

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
charlie62

Re: Attention. Ver 2.1 protection out

Post by charlie62 »

Does anyone know if the UK version of Fury has the same protection as the US thanks
Manni

Post by Manni »

It does. So does The Patriot.
FallonJ

Post by FallonJ »

I am completely new to ripping UHD discs so I hope some one can dumb down this new encryption for me.

I have just purchased an ASUS BW16D1HT and am in the process of downgrading the firmware.

My setup would be to rip the UHD using the ASUS drive externally (USB enclosure) and store the rip in mkv format on my PC and use plex media server to stream the video locally to my Apple TV on my TV.

Would this trigger any “phone home” for UHD rips that have this new protection? Do I need to worry?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

FallonJ wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Would this trigger any “phone home” for UHD rips that have this new protection? Do I need to worry?
In short, no. The backups I've worked with have nothing crazy going on with them.

However, as it has been discussed in detail in this very thread you cannot decrypt these discs with MakeMKV just yet (the two discs discussed in this thread are the only ones ever released with this AACS version so far). If you own any or both of these discs you need to go about other means to back them up. How? Read the thread as it's already discussed in here. Don't simply jump to the last page looking for all answers.
FallonJ

Post by FallonJ »

st4evr wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:52 am
FallonJ wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:56 pm

In short, no. The backups I've worked with have nothing crazy going on with them.

However, as it has been discussed in detail in this very thread you cannot decrypt these discs with MakeMKV just yet (the two discs discussed in this thread are the only ones ever released with this AACS version). If you own any or both of these discs you need to go about other means to backup. How? Read the thread as it's already discussed in here. Don't simply jump to the last page looking for all answers.
Hi,

Thankyou for the reply, I have actually read most of this thread and still needed clarification, I did not jump to the last page and spam questions.

I am aware that there are only two discs that have the AACS 2.1 and cannot be read by make mkv. But what I do not understand is how AACS2.1 will affect me or if it all in the future.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

That is short and simple. If you are not pirating/sharing the content across the internet illegally, you have nothing to worry about.

And if you happen to live in a country where backing up this content is perfectly legal for personal use, then even less to worry about.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That being said, if future titles end up using this version of AACS, the number of titles we won't be able to back up will increase. I realize this is obvious, but, so far we've been lucky in that regard.
gereral1

Post by gereral1 »

You can capture HDR any stream title. Then line up atmos,dtsx whatever in mkv container and bypass this stupid protection. Even if they use call in serial key server check capture will bypass it. Slowed down on buying uhds lately. Just don't have time to do this stuff anymore. This post still being talked about.....Mike still has not figured it out in software.
st4evr

Re: Attention Ver 2 1 protection out

Post by st4evr »

TimothyTom wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:07 pm
The BluRay Tomorrowland A World Beyond have the same problem with the fake playlist protection. I have the german version of this BluRay. I have sent the data to you
Ummm.. no. That's not how this works. You are posting in the wrong place for this or don't have an understanding of what this post/thread is about. Let's clear up a few points:

1. You have a standard Blu Ray of the movie, NOT a UHD BD version of the movie. There are currently no physical UHD BDs of Tomorrowland. Big difference.

2. AACS 2.0 and 2.1 are only used in UHD BDs (4K/2160p content). They are not used in HD/1080p physical content. 1080p content still uses AACS 1.0.

You are discussing a fake playlist for a 1080p BD in a UHD BD topic regarding AACS protection for UHD BD content. You are essentially comparing apples, to oranges, to bananas.

If you need additional details as to what this all means, Google is your friend. Hundreds of articles/discussions that explain/teach all of this readily available.

MakeMKV's BD subforum for 1080p BD content can be found here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8