Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, it's the 7.1 TrueHD track. It contains the ATMOS extensions. And as mentioned, mediainfo usually can tell you, as well.
cipher

Post by cipher »

Phew, I just noticed this issue on my Zootopia and Frozen II copies and was trying to figure out if it was a software issue (MakeMKV or MKVTOOLNX) or hardware issue (Denon receiver, Shield Streamer etc). I wish I had noticed it earlier as I'm now wondering how many titles are affected.

A couple of questions after reading through this thread:
1) Why does this seem to happen largely or exclusively on Disney discs? Given the prevalence of Dolby Atmos why isn't this being reported in larger numbers on other non-Disney titles?
2) Does this issue only occur on UHD discs with Dolby Atmos or are Blu-rays with Dolby Atmos also seeing this issue?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Disney loves to seamless branch their titles and use high bitrate ATMOS tracks (god bless them) which tends to contribute to this issue. And here's the thing, even if you don't see the symptoms of this issue on other titles, it's technically there. It has to do with how ATMOS frames are put into an MKV container.
cipher

Post by cipher »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:10 am
Disney loves to seamless branch their titles and use high bitrate ATMOS tracks (god bless them) which tends to contribute to this issue. And here's the thing, even if you don't see the symptoms of this issue on other titles, it's technically there. It has to do with how ATMOS frames are put into an MKV container.
Thanks for the explanation, SamuriHL.

It doesn't sound like we'll be able to retroactively fix our MKV's by running them through another remux when a fix is rolled out so we're likely looking at remuxing from the discs again. Also, given the reason for the issue I'm assuming this is also occurring on Blu-ray's that contain an Atmos track and not just on UHD's.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'd guess that's likely on BD's but I don't know since I've not tested any. Yes, when this was fixed in CloneBD I went back and re-ripped all my ATMOS titles. Yes, that's a pain on the ass. But for me, I want to make sure I have the best quality MKV's on my NAS so it was worth the effort. My current ripping process is to create unprotected folder backups with MakeMKV and then process that with CloneBD to create the MKV's. This has been working for every disc I've thrown at it.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is (supposedly) fixed in 1.15.1
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Fantastic! That's going to make a lot of people happy for sure. A good one to test on is Incredibles 2. Will try to get to it later today if no one else has gotten to it yet.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:47 pm
will the fix work on already processed mkv's? or do we need to re rip the disc?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What's processed is processed - this would be for ripping either from a disk or a backup.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:06 pm
What's processed is processed - this would be for ripping either from a disk or a backup.
This is unfortunately correct. MakeMKV was (rarely, but still) dropping wrong audio frames on segment boundaries, so MKV files are bad (with clicks on scene change) but backups are good.
jayper

Post by jayper »

This is phenomenal news. I have some backups handy that I can test with. Thanks so much, Mike!

EDIT: I just generated a new MKV for a title that I had previously had dropout issues with and things seem to be all good!
Last edited by jayper on Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
cipher

Post by cipher »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:47 pm
That's great news, Mike!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

cipher wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:29 pm
1) Why does this seem to happen largely or exclusively on Disney discs? Given the prevalence of Dolby Atmos why isn't this being reported in larger numbers on other non-Disney titles?
I can speak about particular MakeMKV bug that was causing this - the frame loss was caused by a specific (very unusual) sync frame configuration at the start of a seamless segment. Shame is that MakeMKV had a code to explicitly handle this scenario - only the code was buggy :(
So It could be very well that this sync frame configuration is just a disney "feature"
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Thanks for the explanation and the fix. This is really great news as atmos has really become the standard these days.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

spl147

Post by spl147 »

Is there a list of affected titles?