Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Zaphod

Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by Zaphod »

Does Make MKV pull across the Dolby Atmos soundtrack when a UHD disk is ripped.

If so how would you recognise the Dolby atmosphere track in Handbrake for pulling into a MP4 file ?
buffalo master

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by buffalo master »

Zaphod wrote:Does Make MKV pull across the Dolby Atmos soundtrack when a UHD disk is ripped.

If so how would you recognise the Dolby atmosphere track in Handbrake for pulling into a MP4 file ?
No.

There's a big thread talking about it right below yours. The short version is Atmos is closed source and nobody knows how to reverse engineer it for ripping.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

buffalo master wrote:
Zaphod wrote:Does Make MKV pull across the Dolby Atmos soundtrack when a UHD disk is ripped.

No.

There's a big thread talking about it right below yours. The short version is Atmos is closed source and nobody knows how to reverse engineer it for ripping.
To clear things up. The OP is referring to the Dolby "Atmos" track which is the audio track. Not Dolby "Vision" which is the HDR layer (video related), and which is what the MKV community has yet to resolve.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Yes, you should be able to pack the Atmos track into the MKV container. I have done it and so have other people.

However, I do NOT use Handbreak. Best way to know for sure? Try it and test it. It will not explode if you try and fail I promise.
buffalo master

Post by buffalo master »

st4evr wrote:
buffalo master wrote:

No.

To clear things up. The OP is referring to the Dolby "Atmos" track which is the audio track. Not Dolby "Vision" which is the HDR layer (video related), and which is what the MKV community has yet to resolve.
Ah, got mixed up.

Yeah, Atmos rips fine. It'll even say Atmos in the right box of the correct track. "TrueHD Atmos"
ibluetooth

Post by ibluetooth »

Hi there,

Apologies for the NEWB question - I'm wondering how I would select the Atmos Track to rip from a UHD BluRay?

I don't see anything listed as Atmos - most I see is True HD 7.1 and DD Plus Surround 7.1

Am I missing something?

Thanks
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

ibluetooth wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:57 pm
I don't see anything listed as Atmos - most I see is True HD 7.1 and DD Plus Surround 7.1
Select the 7.1 track and look at the right window. In the Info section you will see the codec which probably will be Atmos.
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

Yep, what bmillham said. Dolby Atmos is just metadata tacked on to a True HD track. I've got over a 100 UHD's with Atmos tracks that play and decode fine on my receiver (atmos flag lights up and sound comes out of the height speakers.) DTS-X also works perfectly.

The only issue I have with atmos is on a few Disney releases and 1 or 2 Lionsgate films that will have audio dropouts when playing the atmos track. The core audio works fine, but you lose the height speakers and lossless audio. These movies have no issue when actually playing the physical disc... just the MKV. The Incredibles 2 and Leon the Professional are the worst two I've come across. No idea how to fix this yet. I might try folder rips on them and then different extraction remuxing if those work fine.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Metallikahn wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 pm
The Incredibles 2 and Leon the Professional are the worst two I've come across. No idea how to fix this yet. I might try folder rips on them and then different extraction remuxing if those work fine.
I've got an open issue with another ripping solution for that issue. Specifically on Incredibles 2 which is by far the worst one I've seen. LAV Filters were updated to handle it better. With MakeMKV it has audio drops and sometimes the audio recovers and sometimes it doesn't. With the other ripping solution I use, the audio doesn't drop but it slowly gets out of sync. These Disney animated ones are horrible like that. However, on that other product's forum, someone posted an interesting idea that they say works to fix this issue. Basically create your MKV with just video. Then extract the audio with eac3to (or one of the many GUI's available to automate it). Then use mkvtoolnix to combine the extracted audio with the MKV containing the video. They say that then works fine. Good luck if you try it!
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:52 pm
Metallikahn wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 pm
The Incredibles 2 and Leon the Professional are the worst two I've come across. No idea how to fix this yet. I might try folder rips on them and then different extraction remuxing if those work fine.
I've got an open issue with another ripping solution for that issue. Specifically on Incredibles 2 which is by far the worst one I've seen. LAV Filters were updated to handle it better. With MakeMKV it has audio drops and sometimes the audio recovers and sometimes it doesn't. With the other ripping solution I use, the audio doesn't drop but it slowly gets out of sync. These Disney animated ones are horrible like that. However, on that other product's forum, someone posted an interesting idea that they say works to fix this issue. Basically create your MKV with just video. Then extract the audio with eac3to (or one of the many GUI's available to automate it). Then use mkvtoolnix to combine the extracted audio with the MKV containing the video. They say that then works fine. Good luck if you try it!
I was wondering if something like that might works as well. Just to be clear, in order to do this, I would have to do a folder rip/backup of the disc as well in order to get the atmos track extracted before remuxing in mkvtoolnix, correct?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Metallikahn wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 pm
I was wondering if something like that might works as well. Just to be clear, in order to do this, I would have to do a folder rip/backup of the disc as well in order to get the atmos track extracted before remuxing in mkvtoolnix, correct?
Ah, yea, that's a very good point. Yes, you would indeed have to do a folder rip to make that work. I'd probably just do the folder rip first and rip everything from that to save some wear and tear on the drive.
TheShoe

Post by TheShoe »

the latest lav update fixed all audio drop outs for me and others for atmos tracks.

give it a try.
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

TheShoe wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 pm
the latest lav update fixed all audio drop outs for me and others for atmos tracks.

give it a try.
Would, but I'm streaming to an Oppo 203 (so disappointed Oppo stopped making players and stopped updating the firmware on this... best player of any kind I've ever had!) , which has nothing to do with lav. Oh well... I've got Incredibles 2 multiplexing right now with the newly extracted atmos track. I'll give it a try later tonight when it's finished and see whats up.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

TheShoe wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 pm

give it a try.
I have, believe me. I was testing it on the JRiver forum when Nev was fixing it. It does not fix ALL the audio dropouts. It vastly improved the situation, but, with a MakeMKV rip of Incredibles 2 I still get audio drops periodically.
ibluetooth

Post by ibluetooth »

bmillham wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:40 am
ibluetooth wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:57 pm
Select the 7.1 track and look at the right window. In the Info section you will see the codec which probably will be Atmos.
Thanks! I see it now - and the my receiver does recognize Atmos when playing back the movie. Awesome.

Thanks again.