Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by SamuriHL »

There's a bunch of different areas in the mkv that were either dropping out or getting out of sync. I tested that movie extensively until clonebd fixed it. No problems since with any of my atmos mkvs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

seifmaher

Post by seifmaher »

Metallikahn wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 pm
Yep, what bmillham said. Dolby Atmos is just metadata tacked on to a True HD track. I've got over a 100 UHD's with Atmos tracks that play and decode fine on my receiver (atmos flag lights up and sound comes out of the height speakers.) DTS-X also works perfectly.

The only issue I have with atmos is on a few Disney releases and 1 or 2 Lionsgate films that will have audio dropouts when playing the atmos track. The core audio works fine, but you lose the height speakers and lossless audio. These movies have no issue when actually playing the physical disc... just the MKV. The Incredibles 2 and Leon the Professional are the worst two I've come across. No idea how to fix this yet. I might try folder rips on them and then different extraction remuxing if those work fine.
Hi,

I have many Atmos rips on Plex server running on Synology NAS. I try to play them on Nvidia Shield through an Atmos Denon AVR. I never get Atmos, I only get TrueHD.
Would you please help me? How exactly to you play your rips and get Atmos?

Thanks in advance.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

seifmaher wrote:
Metallikahn wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 pm
Yep, what bmillham said. Dolby Atmos is just metadata tacked on to a True HD track. I've got over a 100 UHD's with Atmos tracks that play and decode fine on my receiver (atmos flag lights up and sound comes out of the height speakers.) DTS-X also works perfectly.

The only issue I have with atmos is on a few Disney releases and 1 or 2 Lionsgate films that will have audio dropouts when playing the atmos track. The core audio works fine, but you lose the height speakers and lossless audio. These movies have no issue when actually playing the physical disc... just the MKV. The Incredibles 2 and Leon the Professional are the worst two I've come across. No idea how to fix this yet. I might try folder rips on them and then different extraction remuxing if those work fine.
Hi,

I have many Atmos rips on Plex server running on Synology NAS. I try to play them on Nvidia Shield through an Atmos Denon AVR. I never get Atmos, I only get TrueHD.

Thanks in advance.
Plex does not do lossless audio last time i checked
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

spl147 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:13 pm

HUH? Plex has always supported bitstreaming, especially on the SHIELD. I've had zero issues bitstreaming all the HD audio formats in plex on my SHIELD. So I don't know where your comment comes from.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:56 pm
spl147 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:13 pm

HUH? Plex has always supported bitstreaming, especially on the SHIELD. I've had zero issues bitstreaming all the HD audio formats in plex on my SHIELD. So I don't know where your comment comes from.
yea, i was thinking of something else....sorry.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

I personally use a Vero4K+ running OSMC (Kodi).
Receiver is a Integra DRX-2.1, Atmos plays everytime
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Plex on my shield gives me atmos to my pioneer receiver. I've no idea what's going wrong in their situation which is why I didn't respond originally. It should just work. Atmos is just an extension of truehd.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

spl147

Post by spl147 »

seifmaher wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:29 am
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
what is your speaker config?
jeromec

Post by jeromec »

To add to the discussion, this is very noticeable on Pixar movies which have a lot of segments for the main feature.
The drop-outs occur near the junction between segments (at or shortly after).
Toy Story 4 has 61 segments!

This is an issue both with MakeMKV and MKVToolnix.
Manually assembling TS4's main feature from the .m2ts streams/segments using the Mac/Linux cat command (I believe it is type in Windows) produces a .m2ts that plays perfectly with no audio drop-out. (I copied MakeMKV's segment map into TextEdit then Excel to generate the list of files to assemble)

MKVs produced whether by MakeMKV from the BDMV folder, or by MKVToolinx 37 from the perfect assembled .m2ts both have audio drop-outs when playing Atmos.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yes, it's a problem with most solutions that try to slam ATMOS tracks into an MKV container. So far only Elaborate Bytes seems to have solved the issue by writing custom code for MLP handling in MKV containers. Since they released their update, I've had zero issues. I usually rip to folder backup with MakeMKV and then process that with CloneBD to create my MKV. That process has worked. Hopefully at some point MakeMKV will be updated to solve this issue, as well.
Esch30

Post by Esch30 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:50 pm
Yes, it's a problem with most solutions that try to slam ATMOS tracks into an MKV container. So far only Elaborate Bytes seems to have solved the issue by writing custom code for MLP handling in MKV containers. Since they released their update, I've had zero issues. I usually rip to folder backup with MakeMKV and then process that with CloneBD to create my MKV. That process has worked. Hopefully at some point MakeMKV will be updated to solve this issue, as well.
Does this apply to DTS:X material in addition to Atmos content?

I'm nearly finished with my new theater room which will have a 7.2.6 Atmos setup, and in the meantime I've been collecting 4K discs and ripping them to MKV. Therefore, I haven't been able to test the ~40 discs I've ripped so far in regards to the Atmos playback. I will be using a HTPC with MPC-HC as the player. I read up on the whole LAV filter thing, so I don't know if I'll have issues since I'll be using MPC-HC. Do you have any experience with that player?

Going forward, I'm thinking it might it be best to rip discs using the procedure you mentioned with CloneBD just to be safe. I'm not looking forward to possibly re-ripping my collection, but if it ensures no Atmos playback problems, I'll do what needs to be done. :|
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Has anyone tried running a problematic MKV through CloneBD? To see if the problem is corrected?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Esch30 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:10 pm

Does this apply to DTS:X material in addition to Atmos content?
Not to my knowledge, no.
Last edited by SamuriHL on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

spl147 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm
Has anyone tried running a problematic MKV through CloneBD? To see if the problem is corrected?
I don't understand what this means. CloneBD only accepts a BD or UHD as input, not an MKV.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

SamuriHL wrote:
spl147 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:28 pm
I don't understand what this means. CloneBD only accepts a BD or UHD as input, not an MKV.
Didnt know that. The issue with clonebd is you can not select just the forced subs within the subtitle track