New Asus BW-16D1HT UHD Drive Failing

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
alex_wants_a_beer

New Asus BW-16D1HT UHD Drive Failing

Post by alex_wants_a_beer »

Hi guys,

I have an Asus BW-16D1HT with firmware 3.01. Took quite a bit of work to get set up (the most difficult was obtaining a computer with IDE or an IDE mode - but that may just be due to my Intel NUC's Visual Bios ... ) Anyway....

I have the drive inside of the wonderful OWC enclosure. I ripped (using macOS MakeMKV 1.12.2) the following, without a hitch!

The Dark Knight (2008) Ultra HD BD
E.T. (1982) Ultra HD BD
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016) Ultra HD BD
Logan (2017) Ultra HD BD
Passengers (2016) Ultra HD BD
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) Ultra HD BD

Then....

The Martian [Extended Edition] (2015) Ultra HD BD - fail - HashCheck error

Just updated MakeMKV to 1.12.3 moments ago (not that I expected it to fix my issue)
Jumanji (1995) Ultra HD BD - fail - HashCheck error

I've cleaned the failed discs and tried again - same result

So as I was typing the previous paragraph, I decided to re-rip one of the Ultra HD discs that I was initially successful with (Passengers) and it just failed with a HashCheck error, though it got much farther along than the previous two. The drive is about three weeks old, and I downgraded it from one of the recently updated 3.02 firmware versions.

The drive also makes bizarre noises, like when I click the eject button, it starts making scrape-like sounds, but I view the discs under bright light and they aren't being scratched.

It seems pretty obvious that my drive is failing, though I am going to try ripping a 1080p Blu-Ray right now to see what happens. I will post back with the results.

I will probably flash the firmware back to the version it shipped with and file a warranty claim with Asus. I will likely have to accept an exchange.

I'm also going to buy either the LG WH14NS40 or the LG WH16NS40. How can I make sure I get one marked NS50? Also, which one should I get (realizing the difference is the read speed of 14x vs 16x)? It's important to note that I don't really care about speed. I care about success.

Please share any thoughts you may have!

Thanks.
alex_wants_a_beer

Re: New Asus BW-16D1HT UHD Drive Failing

Actually, I realized I'm not going to return it under warranty - I'm going to return it to the retailer where I bought it. AND I'll be nice enough to flash it back to 3.02.
alex_wants_a_beer

And I'm WELL aware of the speed. I was using the numbers in the model number. Why are you being so rude?
alex_wants_a_beer

Also, I won't buy from you because you're so incredibly rude, not because of price... my god.
alex_wants_a_beer

And won't will stand in for wouldn't, as well, just fine. I assume a smart remark related to you not selling them anymore is coming next Wow. If you don't have something nice to say, DON'T POST!
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex_wants_a_beer

Vent that anger.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex_wants_a_beer

jonghotti wrote:
alex_wants_a_beer wrote:And I'm WELL aware of the speed. I was using the numbers in the model number. Why are you being so rude?
If you're well aware of the speed then you'd not have stated 14x and 16x, plain and simple.

How about this, if you don't have anything but misinformation to post, don't post!
How about we don't pretend to know the other's motivations and intentions? If I return that drive it will be returned defective, not "I just don't want it - put it back on the shelf."

So let's end whatever got you so angry from my first post. Name your price since your drives are so fantastic - and I am a grown up. I can consider the effort put in and incorporate that into my understanding of the price. So what model, firmware, and price are we talking about?
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
annisman

Post by annisman »

Jon's really a good guy, he just shows his emotions a bit more than some of us.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

annisman wrote:Jon's really a good guy, he just shows his emotions a bit more than some of us.
He's a hothead are you kidding me!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829