Hashed Key silently updated

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
TeddyRaspin

Hashed Key silently updated

Post by TeddyRaspin »

It seems current MakeMKV version, after sending UHD dump for titles not supported yet,
is able to retrieve the proper hashed key even if not physically present in the keydb.cfg file.

Maybe Mike has found a way to allow MakeMKV to silently retrieve from a remote host the
needed volume key to decrypt uhd films.

That would be also a great thing in order to use only MakeMKV for the decryption task, instead
of other useful softwares (AnyDVD HD for example). :D
gonca

Re: Hasked Key silently updated

Post by gonca »

Mentioned here
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17761#p64871
Seems the KEY txt file was updated, possibly
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Starting with 1.12.3 MakeMKV automatically downloads hashed keys, if "allow contacting web server" is enabled in preferences.
TeddyRaspin

Post by TeddyRaspin »

@mike admin

Thanks mike, I din't know that. :wink:
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

Great Work Mike. Thank you for the awesome effort. :D
spl147

Post by spl147 »

mike admin wrote:Starting with 1.12.3 MakeMKV automatically downloads hashed keys, if "allow contacting web server" is enabled in preferences.
In linux as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

Nice feature!
Does it now decrypt new discs on the fly or just pulls new keys that were added after dumps been submitted and processed?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

hernanez wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:27 am
Nice feature!
Does it now decrypt new discs on the fly or just pulls new keys that were added after dumps been submitted and processed?
As Mike clearly wrote in his post above:

“Starting with 1.12.3 MakeMKV automatically downloads hashed keys“.

Meaning, it still needs the hashed keys for the discs.

Are you instead asking as to whether AACS2.0 has been fully cracked and no longer will require individual keys? If that is the case then no. Not yet. With the possibility that this may never occur and we will ALWAYS need the keys for discs.
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

st4evr wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:24 am
As Mike clearly wrote in his post above:
“Starting with 1.12.3 MakeMKV automatically downloads hashed keys“.

Meaning, it still needs the hashed keys for the discs.

Are you instead asking as to whether AACS2.0 has been fully cracked and no longer will require individual keys? If that is the case then no. Not yet. With the possibility that this may never occur and we will ALWAYS need the keys for discs.
Didn't sound that clear to me I guess. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, thought maybe it's done on the fly now for new discs and skips the need to send dump files.

How does this new feature work?, I've not had a chance to try myself. Does it simply update the keys_hashed.txt? or just pulls a key for the specific disc you are trying to backup (assuming such a key is available)?

There have been several reports on hash fails with 1.12.3 when you try to do back ups (maybe only encrypted backups?), and that going back to 1.12.2 fixes it. That's what keeping me from updating so I can use this new feature :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17754
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17775
spl147

Post by spl147 »

hernanez wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:30 pm

There have been several reports on hash fails with 1.12.3 when you try to do back ups (maybe only encrypted backups?), and that going back to 1.12.2 fixes it. That's what keeping me from updating so I can use this new feature :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17754
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17775
yep, thats why i am still on 1.12.2, so not getting the new feature of auto updating keys. the script posted on here works great for it though.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17761

i figured mike would have posted a new release to fix the hash cheack fail bug by now
keithl

Post by keithl »

This is cool new feature. Where does it keep the auto-downloaded file and what is the file name? I have looked and can;t find the file as it was named before. I want to keep a copy safe just in case they every shut or block the download.
Kerwin

Post by Kerwin »

keithl wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:15 pm
This is cool new feature. Where does it keep the auto-downloaded file and what is the file name? I have looked and can;t find the file as it was named before. I want to keep a copy safe just in case they every shut or block the download.
From what I can tell, it downloaded the hashed keys text file to the MakeMKV data directory. I had already downloaded the most recent version on the day it was updated (I believe the 24th) and when I started to do a rip with a new disc two days, I think it overwrote that file.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Last edited by jonghotti on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

That's not the newest update. 1.12.3 is downloading a copy and putting it either in a different location, different file format, or both. If I had to guess, it's now part of '_private_data.tar' which appeared to be the only new file in my MakeMKV data directory. This new location/format is incompatible with 1.12.2.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Regardless, Mike has updated the key file and the link is live again. Whoever wants to keep a “backup” then continue to download the manual file as provided by Mike. Appears he will continue to support this “manual” method until further notice.