The Dark Knight Trilogy - The Dark Knight Rises

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
st4evr

Re: The Dark Knight Trilogy - The Dark Knight Rises

Post by st4evr »

mikesway wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:18 pm
Does anyone know if ripping the 4K versions of the dark knight trilogy will also retain the IMAX parts of the movies? I know ripping a regular blu ray does not and am wondering if I should even bother trying to rip the 4K discs.
Yeah, you are making completely incorrect assumptions/observations or just don't have an understanding of how any of this works. That is NOT how BDs and their streams work. Or how ripping into an MKV container works for that matter either. IMAX scenes are not some special separate stream or separate part of the DI (Digital Intermediate) from where the BDs are authored, so let alone within the BD format.
mikesway

Post by mikesway »

So then why when I rip the blu ray movies are the IMAX sequences not retained? They still show as 2:35:1
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

They're in there, just not as a separately-rendered bit of video. The whole movie is rendered in the same resolution throughout.

IMAX means nothing on the home theater front; You're getting a 1080p or 2160p video, where the non-IMAX parts were "upscaled" to match the IMAX in the theatre, and then back down to "home size" for the video release.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging