Legacy SDR Playback while keeping HDR

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
1wayjonny

Legacy SDR Playback while keeping HDR

Post by 1wayjonny »

Hello,

I just got the Asus drive and downgraded from 3.03 to 3.01 and all is well with my first rip. I can confirm HDR works and I kept the ATMOS track.

I tried to search but had trouble finding an answers/confirmations:
  • I looked at advanced options but is there a place that MakeMKV shows a stat/flag that the disc video has HDR metadata to begin with?
    Is it correct to assume that the default video track ALWAYS has the HDR metadata for UHD disc ripped and that MakeMKV keeps the metadata by default?
    There is no way to accidentally strip the HDR metadata with MakeMKV correct? I believe the metadata is inside the encoding and as long as I do not re-encode and strip the metadata or transcode the MakeMKV rip will always retain the metadata? MakeMKV does not touch the video correct?
    Lastly, for legacy playback if the video track by default is washed and has HDR metadata on the disc or MKV what component is responsible for mapping the tone back for SDR playback? (I.E. Using an HDR disc with an Xbox One S and an SDR display) I know this works but would like to understand how the tone mapping is adjusted for legacy SDR playback. I am assuming its the software/player in all cases - PC, Xbox One S.
I appreciate the help and confirmations,

Jonny
st4evr

Re: Legacy SDR Playback while keeping HDR

Post by st4evr »

There is a 4 page post just a few post down from your that goes into details about DV and HDR10 on this.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17235

There is a similar extensive discussion regarding HDR to SDR is this 4 page post as well:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16905

And yes the search function works:

search.php?keywords=hdr10

But in short, no, you cannot strip the HDR10 metadata from the main title. At least not that I've seen/heard with MakeMKV. MKV is a container, not a re-encoding process. You are confusing the two. If you need more in-depth details as to the difference between them, Google is your friend. A simple Google search could have also told you that.
1wayjonny

Re: Legacy SDR Playback while keeping HDR

Post by 1wayjonny »

I appreciate the reply but there is no reason to talk to people with tone over the internet. Your consistent replication of telling me to to search and use Google is not necessary and it does not do anything positive for you or this discussion.

What was helpful was the direct links but a quick YES/NO would have also been cool, its not like I just slung a one-lined sentence in a post. I felt that I took the time to show organization and respect for the forum. This was my first post and thread and the admin approved the thread so it was not a trash post.

It is quite obvious that I have read and done quite a bit of research. I got the drive, downgraded and ripped 30+ UHD's with out one post to the forum. I was simply looking for a collection of YES/NO confirmations for questions that arose during the process from start to finish.

Since you felt the need to deeply explain how to use search functions. I thought to deeply explain some additional social skills etiquette. Let me know if you need some links or you can just use Google.

Again, thank you for the part of the reply that WAS helpful. I will read it and appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.