Incredibles 2 and Dolby Atmos

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Sevenfeet

Incredibles 2 and Dolby Atmos

Post by Sevenfeet »

Since I purchased Incredibles 2 and ripped it to an MKV, I've noticed strange audio skips during action heavy scenes during playback on my Oppo 203 disc player. It seems that scenes that are "Atmos heavy" will sometimes have audio dropouts and occasionally the audio will drop and not come back. This never happens while playing the disc and it also doesn't happen if I backup the entire disc using MakeMKV. After consulting with Oppo tech support, they think this is something to do with how the MKV file is encoded with Atmos' seemless branching. Any other sound track (or playing the Atmos sound track as LPCM) plays normally.

While there are earlier examples of the audio skipping (chapters 1 and 2), one of the most obvious problems is the helicopter chase scene (chapter 14). When the helicopter does a loop over the city, the audio really gets wonky and its consistent in the problems.

I've tried a couple of different rips with the same effect, both with version 1.12.3 and 1.14.1. 1.14.1 improved the ability to do the rip effectively without making the disc sound like a tap dancer during the structure scanning segment, but the output file seems to be the same.

My BD ripper is a ASUS BW-16D1HT with firmware version 3.01.
XrayDoc88

Re: Incredibles 2 and Dolby Atmos

Post by XrayDoc88 »

I've noticed the same problem after I ripped the UHD disc. I ripped the UHD disc specifically to get the Dolby Atmos track.

By the way, which is the correct English segment map? My rip has Spanish words in the movie, like on newspapers, etc.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

XrayDoc88 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:33 am
By the way, which is the correct English segment map? My rip has Spanish words in the movie, like on newspapers, etc.
This applies to that question:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18403
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Sevenfeet wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm

After consulting with Oppo tech support, they think this is something to do with how the MKV file is encoded with Atmos' seemless branching. Any other sound track (or playing the Atmos sound track as LPCM) plays normally.
MakeMKV does not "encode". MKV is a container, not directly an encoded video format. Are you re-encoding/transcoding any part of the rip somehow? E.g. Using HandBrake, DVDFab, or other similar apps?
Sevenfeet

Post by Sevenfeet »

st4evr wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:44 pm
Sevenfeet wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm

After consulting with Oppo tech support, they think this is something to do with how the MKV file is encoded with Atmos' seemless branching. Any other sound track (or playing the Atmos sound track as LPCM) plays normally.
MakeMKV does not "encode". MKV is a container, not directly an encoded video format. Are you re-encoding/transcoding any part of the rip somehow? E.g. Using HandBrake, DVDFab, or other similar apps?
No and "encode" was probably the wrong word. This is a straight rip using MakeMKV. No other software was used. I tried both the PC and Mac version and using all soundtracks, just the English ones and then just the TrueHD one. The same result happened every time.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Have you attempted to create the MKV with another MKV app like MKVToolNix by any chance? If so, same result?

Obviously, against a fully decrypted copy of the disc, as that MKV app does not decrypt discs like MakeMKV does.

This may help further rule out if it's an issue with the MKV container format and this specific disc altogether or in fact something with MakeMKV and this disc.
Last edited by st4evr on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

This track has given me problems, as well. I ripped it with CloneBD (in MKV format) and the ATMOS track is completely broken. Had similar issues with MakeMKV. I've asked CloneBD support to look into it. I also suspect the seemless branching as being the culprit.
Sevenfeet

Post by Sevenfeet »

st4evr wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:43 pm
Have you attempted to create the MKV with another MKV app like MKVToolNix by any chance? If so, same result?

Obviously, against a fully decrypted copy of the disc, as that MKV app does not decrypt discs like MakeMKV does.

This may help further rule out if it's an issue with the MKV container format and this specific disc altogether or in fact something with MakeMKV and this disc.
Not yet but I'll try it. I was going to at one point and then got distracted (work, family, life). Again, the full decrypted copy running off a Windows SMB server played by the Oppo player is perfect,
XrayDoc88

Post by XrayDoc88 »

Thanks for the link about the correct English title.

What is it with this UHD? I'm on my second disc. The first I was unable to rip because of errors. The second disc also gave errors, but after a couple tries it worked. Unfortunately I ripped the Spanish title. Now when ripping the English title, the first two attempts failed. The third attempt worked. I haven't checked the Atmos track yet, but the Spanish rip had some sporadic dropouts.

The disc looks like a shiny mirror with no visible marks.
danbez

Post by danbez »

I am facing the same issue with the Atmos track. A few more interesting details:

On my Win10 device, I can repro it everytime using MPC-HC + LAV or Kodi +DSPlayer + Lav. The first hit is at 3min 17sec. But once you hit it, you can’t repro it again by just going back a few seconds or even a minute. You have to go back to the beginning of the movie. Very strange - perhaps some kind of cache?

I can’t repro if I play it via my ShieldTV.
Sevenfeet

Post by Sevenfeet »

Update: I used MKVToolNix to make an MKV based upon the ripped backup made by MakeMKV (that backup works well with Atmos via SMB). The MKV file from MKVToolNix doesn't work any better than MakeMKV doing the MKV file creation and also suffers from sound dropouts during Atmos-heavy scenes or in some cases, the sound quits and never comes back until you switch the soundtrack. Whatever issue is going on with how these files are being constructed seems to be consistent between the programs.

And just as a reminder, I've seen this issue on other Atmos MKV rips. But this movie is easily the most problematic of the bunch.
recordplay

Post by recordplay »

I have had this same issue with Maze Runner The Death Cure. It doesn't seem as bad as Incredibles 2 but the dolby atmos track drops out at the beginning and sometimes doesn't even play. It also does drop out several times during the movie especially when there is a lot of action.
Sevenfeet

Post by Sevenfeet »

Oppo tech support also told me that their sound processor is the same one regardless of what is providing the input. So by disc, MKV file on server, USB or whatever, the software is the same. They thought it could be how the MKV creation software is handling seemless branching that could be at fault here.
Montell

Post by Montell »

That is what seems to be the problem in my research as well, how makemkv and software ripping programs handle the seamless branching.

Hopefully the developers look into this issue because it really is problematic when watching movies using atmos.

Redfox forum has a similar thread to this one.