Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
magnetoeric

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by magnetoeric »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:21 pm
Still RGB 8bit here on my B9. Latest 5.0 firmware on the TV and 8.2.1 on the Shield experience. Tested with both UHD disk backup DV and Netflix DV.
Could you tell me how to access this menu on my CX?
RayDawGGG

Post by RayDawGGG »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:22 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:01 pm
ive been thinking this over and it makes sense...
Your CX is internally processing HDR via its app correctly, correct colours, correct tone map and as such it looks good.
Dolby Vision from the shield is being processed by the shield (player led LLDV) and as such looks a little darker, you also have the incorrect color to deal with.
For some reason the LG’s even though they can do TV led processing of Dolby Vision, request player led by default.
If you have an Oppo or Oppo clone you can force TV led processing (RGB 8 bit tunnelling) and it looks brighter than selecting player led ( 12 bit LLDV).
Not sure where you're getting this from, but LG's do not force the Shield to default to LLDV. At least on my B9, RGB tunneling is the default DV mode. Unless this changed in the new X-generation of TV's, you can only get LLDV from the Shield into an LG Oled via HDFury EDID spoofing.

I appreciate the feedback and knowledge. So the Shield still has color issues.. and the LG CX does a great job with HDR. I am now going to invest in a 4K UHD player(to support the 4K disc market). While I enjoy having the ability to play backups and save shelf space, I want to get the best picture on my CX. As the technology improves, maybe one day the Shield will be a great alternative. I'm going to remux to m2ts to see if DV logo shows in the CX plex app & check for visual differences.
Last edited by RayDawGGG on Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

magnetoeric wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:17 pm
http://ltroyalshrimp.com/how-to-get-int ... tics-menu/
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:09 pm
TickTock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Last night I watched The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring and I was able to fast forward. I used the latest version of tsMuxer and muxed both parts to individual m2ts files.
I merged mine in a single TS file.
So if FF works for each individual part, that pretty much confirms the issue is related to the length of the movie.
thank you
Yes but that isn't enough for me :P

I still haven't got myself a x700 yet, but I dug out my old x800. It can't do dolby vision, but I had some time today and figured it should be close enough to see whats going on (they should be very similar internal players if not the same).

Started with the second hobbit film. The raw m2ts and the tsmuxer file both wouldn't seek. 'Operation not permitted'.

Tried cutting the file with tsmuxer to 2 hours and 45 minutes. Seek worked.

Then I went for 2 hours 50 minutes. Seek didn't work.

Something in tsmuxer caught my eye: "--cut-end=10200000ms"

To me that seemed like such a specific round number. I have now tested both hobbit 1 and 2...

If the file is 2 hours, 46 minutes and 39 seconds or shorter. The file will allow seeking.
If the file is 2 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds or longer. The file will not allow seeking.

Turns out in milliseconds that is:

9999000ms: Seeks
10000000ms: Does not seek

From all this, I believe that if the file is greater than (or equal to) 10 million millisconds then seeking will not work. Anything below seems to work fine.

Does this align with what you have experienced on the x700? Know any titles that might be under this 10 million ms 'limit' that don't allow seeking?

Note: For me, on the latest tsmuxer nightly, the resulting file was always 1 second less than what I put into the 'end'. So if anyone tries this, take this into account if you are trying to be precise.

Why there might be such a limit I'm not sure - maybe someone else might know that :?:

Never seen something related to length in ms, at least 10 million...doesn't really strike me as a number that would normally cause issues in the computing world :?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

↑↑ very interesting...
Exovitae

Post by Exovitae »

Does the Zidoo Z9X plays the new mkv dolby vision files more accurately than the Shield 2019 regarding colors? I keep reading about Shield and the problems with DV so i was thinking to try a Zidoo.
pete19

Post by pete19 »

TickTock wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:18 pm
Last night I watched The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring and I was able to fast forward. I used the latest version of tsMuxer and muxed both parts to individual m2ts files.
Did you happen to freeze frame compare the resulting m2ts file with the original movie ?

As per my earlier post, I also remuxed LOTR UHD DV to m2ts file via latest tsmuxer (one for each disc), and the resulting m2ts is slightly less bright in the highlights than the original UHD disc.

Both played back on Oppo 203 tv-led to LG CX.

see here for comparison: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/8739

(ignore blown out highlights, this is a camera setting issue)

Would be interesting to hear your results.
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

Exovitae wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:22 am
Does the Zidoo Z9X plays the new mkv dolby vision files more accurately than the Shield 2019 regarding colors? I keep reading about Shield and the problems with DV so i was thinking to try a Zidoo.
Here is my feedback on this product:

The firmware is pretty buggy. I am currently in 0.66. With my Panasonic, I couldn't launch Dovi movies, then go find out why by just touching the brightness, contrast settings and going back to HT4 and relaunching the Dovi file where it can read the Dovi. It was a bit chaotic at first (suddenly yes, suddenly no), and almost all the time Films in Dovi play. The image is beautiful I finally enjoy it. Some slowdowns on some Bluray UHD Dovi, but not enough to whip a cat.

On the other hand, the Dovi x265 encodes (lords of the rings, Hobbit, Total recall) pass nickel chrome, the image is magnificent. I don't have any stuttering worries since I only watch FR tracks, and for the atmosphere for me I have more worries by remuxing them in THD + AC3. So I'm no longer expressly in a hurry to have new Firmware (hoping that it continues to work). Namely that I do not use the VS10 engine but am in a car. And you can clearly see the difference on some Movies between playing it in HDR and in Dovi, I suppose it's because the Dovi was better integrated on some than others, like when the 4k came out, at the beginning the master was only upscale.

So after a difficult start the Z9x is suitable for my use. But I cannot explain the why and how of this erratic functioning which improves on its own. I even wondered if the processor has a learning AI unit.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

pete19 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:04 am
Did you happen to freeze frame compare the resulting m2ts file with the original movie ?

As per my earlier post, I also remuxed LOTR UHD DV to m2ts file via latest tsmuxer (one for each disc), and the resulting m2ts is slightly less bright in the highlights than the original UHD disc.

Both played back on Oppo 203 tv-led to LG CX.

see here for comparison: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/8739

(ignore blown out highlights, this is a camera setting issue)

Would be interesting to hear your results.
He's using the Sony X700, which I confirmed many times to be 100% color and brightness accurate. I don't know about the Oppo player but if there is really a brightness difference, it's not coming from the file created by tsmuxer nor the mp4muxer.
here's old comparisons
MP4 vs disc: https://slow.pics/c/feEmrLAZ
MP4 vs TS: https://slow.pics/c/V994dhhF
Exovitae

Post by Exovitae »

I have problems with less bright images on the M9702(Oppo clone) too by playing BDMV directory from the network so probably what Reset_9999 is saying is true, its not from the TS files.
My LG B9 internal player plays mp4 DV remuxes way better than the M9702, its frustrating! Comparing some movies you dont see much of a difference but in some there is a a major difference, for example Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets looks so bright and good in highlights on the internal player of my B9 and on the m9702 its so underwhelming! It's set to TV led so i dont know why the difference.

Also i seen that HDR 10 movies in some scenes look dark and highlights are less bright than on the TV's player, in this scenes if im setting the tone mapping option in my tv to off the picture quality improves a lot but then on another scenes picture quality is better with the tone maping option set to on! I think this player doesn't go hand in hand with the TV, maybe is some kind of double tone mapping, one made by the M9702 and one on the TV and this results in bad playback!
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:36 pm
magnetoeric wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:17 pm
http://ltroyalshrimp.com/how-to-get-int ... tics-menu/
Thank you. The menu is different on CX and it doesn't even show the hdr details like it did in your pic (dolby vision profile under general section). Is it because I've connected my shield to my onkyo receiver instead of directly to my tv? I've watched many dolby vision mkv remuxes and I too feel like the picture doesn't look bright at all. HDR looks great though.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Exovitae wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 pm
I have problems with less bright images on the M9702(Oppo clone) too by playing BDMV directory from the network so probably what Reset_9999 is saying is true, its not from the TS files.
My LG B9 internal player plays mp4 DV remuxes way better than the M9702, its frustrating! Comparing some movies you dont see much of a difference but in some there is a a major difference, for example Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets looks so bright and good in highlights on the internal player of my B9 and on the m9702 its so underwhelming! It's set to TV led so i dont know why the difference.

Also i seen that HDR 10 movies in some scenes look dark and highlights are less bright than on the TV's player, in this scenes if im setting the tone mapping option in my tv to off the picture quality improves a lot but then on another scenes picture quality is better with the tone maping option set to on! I think this player doesn't go hand in hand with the TV, maybe is some kind of double tone mapping, one made by the M9702 and one on the TV and this results in bad playback!
So if I am reading this right you active hdr set on your TV?
You should have said that at the beginning.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:31 pm
Exovitae wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:50 pm

So if I am reading this right you have active hdr set on your TV?
You should have said that at the beginning, that is why the HDR playback of your internal app is brighter than the Dolby playback from the Oppo.
Just because it’s brighter doesn’t mean it’s correct, maybe you should set the output of the Oppo to HDR10 and let your TV apply faux metadata rather than the true metadata from the Dolby stream.
pete19

Post by pete19 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:25 pm
He's using the Sony X700, which I confirmed many times to be 100% color and brightness accurate. I don't know about the Oppo player but if there is really a brightness difference, it's not coming from the file created by tsmuxer nor the mp4muxer.
here's old comparisons
MP4 vs disc: https://slow.pics/c/feEmrLAZ
MP4 vs TS: https://slow.pics/c/V994dhhF
The Oppo 203/205 is 100% bit accurate.

Both versions of the LOTR UHD movie (original full disc rip and the 3 mins tsmuxer m2ts remux) were played back the same way (over network or by attached USB HDD). Oppo was set to output tv-led, so that in both cases we ensure we get full DV (tv-led) - and the LG CX does show full DV coming in.

I've also switched the order of playback various times: original first then remux, remux first then original - just to ensure it's not the LG CX dimming.

And I've also remuxed the UHD movie to a BDMV folder via tsmuxer, so that the Oppo always plays back a BDMV folder (either original UHD disc rip, or the BDMV folder remux)

In all cases, the tsmuxer remux was slightly less bright in the highlights, as per my pictures. It's almost like player-led vs. tv-led, where LLDV player-led is not as accurate as full DV tv-led.

I highly, highly doubt it's the Oppo. It may be the LG CX (since I did tv-led, so it does the full DV decoding) if the remux file has different metadata

Maybe tsmuxer does not set certain params or metadata correctly, although in the operation that I did it "merely" is copying the streams - although I did do a trim (first 3 mins only).

Maybe it's the trim ?

Would be grateful if someone here who also remuxes UHD DV movies to m2ts via latest tsmuxer can run quick tests on their end and maybe do a picture comparison. You won't see it by eye from memory, it's not that much, but the pictures will show it. Make sure to have bright highlights in the image.

Thanks.
kievpk

Post by kievpk »

Hello! I was able to play test files on Android TV Sony xh90 (x900h). First, I tried the Fel to Mel test videos. DV profile 5, profile 7 MEL single layer in mp4, mkv format works exactly. I was also able to make according to the instructions myself from blu-ray uhd BUMBLEBEE to mp4 and mkv profile 7 mel. I looked through emby + exoplayer. Sorry for bad English