Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Roberespa

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Roberespa »

* Tutorial on how to convert an .iso movie with HDR10 and Dolby Vision to .m2ts *

* This tutorial is primarily intended for all novice users who don't want to read all these forum pages. you will get a good result. Without having to do a lot of tests and trials until you get it. *

(This is something that I miss a lot, that from minute one you start reading this new and very tedious thing. So now that I know how to do it; so that you don't spend hours and hours I have decided to do my personal tutorial with the aim of help them.)

The first thing you need is to have all these programs updated in their latest version, otherwise it will not work !:

MakeMKV
tsMuxeR:
on page 259 the user "RESET_9999" offers us the link to the latest versions of tsMuxeR.
ffmpeg
Unzip this program to C: \ and rename the folder (call it) ffmpeg | In Windows environment variables (you can search for it in search box) open it
Give Environment Variables, double click on Patch, click again and type the path C: \ ffmpeg \ bin OK, OK and OK. This tells the CMD that you know the ffmpeg commands for easier access.

Once these programs are installed or updated:

1º Use MakeMKV open the UHD iso with Dolby Vision and extract the video track. (Check only the video track, uncheck all other audio subtitles, etc.) In short uncheck everything so that you only save the video track.
2º Open the "cmd" (Command Prompt) as administrator and write> ffmpeg -i Rings.mkv -map 0: 0 -c copy T: \ BL_EL_RPU.hevc * With this I manage to merge the 2 layers in a single file with the possibility to disjoin *
Rings.mkv is the name of the mkv that contains only the video obtained from the MakeMKV program, I write the correct name in my case, I change the name to make it easier for me. T: \ (I'm telling you to save the result in that directory.) BL_EL_RPU.hevc is the name that the final file should have.

Use tsMuxeR and open "BL_EL_RPU.hevc" To put the audios and subtitles that you mount in a virtual unit, the FULL-UHD Dolby Vision.iso adds 00073.m2ts unchecks the two video tracks (only adds the audio tracks and subtitles) or previously with tsMuxeR you make a DEMUX to simply add the audio tracks and subtitles to the "BL_EL_RPU.hevc" and give it to create a .ts or .m2ts video file (I recommend .m2ts because it is the purest).
and ready.

Step 1 creates a video file with HDR10 and Dolby Vison but most televisions do not open it, so you have to do step 2 and 3 that I mention.
I hope it will be very helpful to new users. I spent many hours reading and testing. It gave me a lot of mistakes. But with this method everything works perfectly.

You will get a .m2ts or .ts file with HDR10 and Dolby Vision valid for the vast majority of televisions.
pete19

Post by pete19 »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:27 pm
It’s also possible to produce a HDR/rgb4816bit.png for comparison as well from a LLDV not converted to SDR. Comparison results are the same for sdr/hdr where the shield is concerned. (Ffmpeg to take screenshots)
Without the vertex 2 altering video playback
Once u have the HDR10/rgb48.png
U can view in your hdr/sdr software eg Madvr. In which u can now take another sdr.png if u so desire.
could you share the cmd to take a LLDV HDR screenshot via ffmpeg ?
agneva

Post by agneva »

Maikel777 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:55 pm
I also have a TV
LG OLED55B6V.

For the movie The Lord of the Rings.
Which Dolby Vision profile is best suited for my TV? 5, 7, 8 or 8.1

Thanks in advance.
On my OLED77CX9LA i took dvdfap mp4 with DV SL -> perfect, because EL is empty.
I understood that you can every movie make a mp4 which has an empty EL (called MEL).

"Saving Private Ryan" doesn´t work correct with DV SL,the brightness pumps :oops:
I´ll try it this week on the UBK90 with DV DL :roll:
It has a FEL.

I don´t know a player how can play mkv with DV DL.
pete19

Post by pete19 »

pete19 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:29 pm
@jcdr428:

I used latest tsmuxer w64-nightly-2020-11-17--01-21-46 and muxed the first 3 mins of a UHD DV disc folder rip to a BMV folder and a m2ts file. Selected the BL + EL, Dolby Atmos audio and then muxed.

When playing back on LG CX via Oppo, DV and Dolby Atmos are triggered correctly on both muxed versions, but the muxed versions are always a little bit darker than the original disc.

Is this a known limitation or is there a setting that I'm missing ?

I took screenshot comparisons and also switched the order of the versions when played back to ensure it's not the LG dimming. Every time the muxed versions are a little bit darker.

Looking at mediainfo, the only difference I can see is in the HDR FORMAT tag of the EL of the m2ts mux:

original disc:
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

muxed BDM folder
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

muxed m2ts
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

see screenshot comparison here: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/8739

(ignore blown out highlights, this is a camera setting issue)

Thx
I just tested a full movie remux (not just a 3 mins trim) via tsmuxer of LOTR UHD HDR Disc 1, and there is no brightness change in full tv-led DV of these remuxes - so it seems the trim introduced the brightness loss.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

pete19 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 am

by time in second:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg.exe -ss 3200 -i X:\video.mkv -vframes 1 X:\transfer=hdr.png
by frame number:

ffmpeg.exe -i X:\video.mkv -vf select='eq(n\,6672)' -vframes 1 X:\transfer=hdr.png
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

The subtitles going out of sync in Apocalypse Now Final Cut was caused by the file being damaged, eac3to log:
[v01] [0:28:24] The source file seems to be damaged (sync byte missing). <WARNING>
[a03] [0:28:23] The source file seems to be damaged (sync byte missing). <WARNING>
[a04] [0:28:24] The source file seems to be damaged (sync byte missing). <WARNING>
[s05] [0:24:01] The source file seems to be damaged (sync byte missing). <WARNING>
[s06] [0:27:55] The source file seems to be damaged (sync byte missing). <WARNING>
[s07] [0:24:01] The source file seems to be damaged (sync byte missing). <WARNING>
[s08] [0:24:01] The source file seems to be damaged (sync byte missing). <WARNING>
[v01] [0:28:24] The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity). <WARNING>
[a04] [0:28:24] The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity). <WARNING>
[a03] [0:28:23] The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity). <WARNING>
[a03] This track is not clean (2). <WARNING>
[a04] This track is not clean. <WARNING>
[s05] [0:24:01] The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity). <WARNING>
[s07] [0:24:01] The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity). <WARNING>
[s06] [0:27:55] The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity). <WARNING>
[s08] [0:24:01] The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity). <WARNING>
[a03] Audio has a gap of 3744ms at playtime 0:28:27. <WARNING>
[a03] The audio gaps/overlaps can't be removed from the TrueHD bitstream. <WARNING>
[a03] In order to remove them you'll have to transcode to another format. <WARNING>
[a04] Audio has a gap of 3776ms at playtime 0:28:27. <WARNING>
I tested a new version and it played perfectly on the X700 with subtitles on. :)
Psnjerry

Post by Psnjerry »

i use dvdfab to make the dolby vision movies and i heard that it produces a fake dolby vision

i have a sample i made and if someone can test it against the method everyone uses in this forum.

thats if you have back to the future part 1 lol

https://mega.nz/file/NYgknYSa#aiz7hO8WT ... rAas_crLgo
Psnjerry

Post by Psnjerry »

Psnjerry wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:41 am
i use dvdfab to make the dolby vision movies and i heard that it produces a fake dolby vision

i have a sample i made and if someone can test it against the method everyone uses in this forum.

i figured out how you guys are doing it lol. so easy. guess ill be testing myself.
Psnjerry

Post by Psnjerry »

Psnjerry wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:46 am
Psnjerry wrote:

i figured out how you guys are doing it lol. so easy. guess ill be testing myself.
i seem to get the same results when i use mp4muxer and dvdfab. using dvdfab to make one stream causes it to have crushed blacks. 2 video streams work
Last edited by Psnjerry on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Psnjerry wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:00 am
Psnjerry wrote:
Psnjerry wrote:

i seem to get the same results with yusesope tools and dvdfab when i make mp4 into a 2 stream to play on c9 default app, making a one stream gives you crushed blacks.
don't use yusecope's tools or dvdfab when making mp4s for c9 playback, use mp4muxer.
Psnjerry

Post by Psnjerry »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:34 am
Psnjerry wrote:
Psnjerry wrote:

i seem to get the same results with yusesope tools and dvdfab when i make mp4 into a 2 stream to play on c9 default app, making a one stream gives you crushed blacks.
don't use yusecope's tools or dvdfab when making mp4s for c9 playback, use mp4muxer.
i meant mp4muxer. it looks the same to me but why you say i shouldn't use dvdfab?
pete19

Post by pete19 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:11 pm
pete19 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 am

by time in second:

ffmpeg.exe -ss 3200 -i X:\video.mkv -vframes 1 X:\transfer=hdr.png
by frame number:

ffmpeg.exe -i X:\video.mkv -vf select='eq(n\,6672)' -vframes 1 X:\transfer=hdr.png
thanks. so how do you convert the png file to SDR ? ffmpeg as well or madvr ? can you share your process ?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

pete19 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:08 pm

thanks. so how do you convert the png file to SDR ? ffmpeg as well or madvr ? can you share your process ?
I use madVR because I consider it the best HDR to SDR tone mapping but it probably can be done with ffmpeg. I don't know how though.
So just open the png in MPC-BE/HC/madVR. it needs ''transfer=hdr'' in the filename.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Psnjerry wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:26 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:34 am
Psnjerry wrote:

i meant mp4muxer. it looks the same to me but why you say i shouldn't use dvdfab?
Unless something changed, I believe DVDFAB strips away the EL in their DV MP4 conversion. You can verify this with mediainfo if you see only one video track that's labeled BL+RPU.
agneva

Post by agneva »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Unless something changed, I believe DVDFAB strips away the EL in their DV MP4 conversion. You can verify this with mediainfo if you see only one video track that's labeled BL+RPU.
you can set it in dvdfap:
image_24338.png
image_24338.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 17692 times
if you choose EL+RPU than you get it:
22.png
22.png (56.26 KiB) Viewed 17692 times
i just tested it with Saving Private Ryan, it has an FEL.

If I choose DV Single Layer for playback on my LG CX9 i get brightness pumping.
If I choose DV Dual Layer, the CX9 doesn´t play, but the LG UBK90 plays it correct.

I think all movies with empty EL (MEL) can be ripped in DV SL.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... st12116287