Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
lexyz

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by lexyz »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:53 am
There is no way that HDR10 would look better than LLDV which is much closer to or = to dv rgb8.
That would not make sense.
LLDV image is always brighter,sharper & cleaner than a hdr10 image.
We can do a bunch of hdr10/LLDV comparisons, to prove that.
98% of LLDV test captures always looks better than the HDR10.
It really depends on TV
By my observations in most cases Bravia XF90's HDR10 brighter than LLDV, not much but noticable
Like here https://slow.pics/c/5VaKhnAe
or here https://slow.pics/c/O4Yq9pCJ
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:09 pm
But now the fact that Stacey Spear is considering stripping out DV from the dolby bluray is very concerning and why would he need Envy or lumagen to do that, it doesn't really make sense to me.
Thing is, the issues Mr. Spears mentioned are important for video purists like himself. 8)
Chroma ringing? Low quility 4:2:2-to-4:4:4 upsamling? Not accurate PQ tracking? Minor artefacts in LLDV mode? :o
Most people can't see a difference :D but they can clearly see a difference in HDR on low-nit TV with inadequate tonemapping versus DV on very same TV
DV wins, case closed.
4 years of DV UHD and now people are talking about DV bugs with only two major UHD players manufacturers left on the market. :lol:
Still fully support any bug-hunt and pressure on Dolby. They have to fix this mess.
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

HarperVision wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:50 pm
The AppleTV also does an amazing job with DolbyVision/LLDV.
I have to disagree with you here. I really hate my AppleTV, it's full of issues (DV, HDR10, and SDR).

Streaming profile 5 playback comparisons:
*we played the WandaVision P5 DV WEB-DL on all the devices and captured the LLDV PQ stream with the Atomos Shogun.

x700 Vs Dune:https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11843
x700 vs Shield:https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11844
x700 vs AppleTV: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11847
x700 vs Chromecast:https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11845
x700 vs FirestickTV: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11852
all the devices in one comparison: https://slow.pics/c/ek6zSHqX

No major problem with single layer profile 5 DV from streaming services on all the devices tested.
Only the AppleTV is not 100% accurate: slightly brighter than the other devices but that doesn't surprise me: this device is a mess.
SDR colors are off , the DV to HDR10 conversion is wayyyy off (fixed for itunes/vudu/MA but not for Netflix).
in fact, only pure HDR10 stream is accurate on the appleTV. They also ignore the real HDR metadata which is a problem for TV that use the metadata(LG TVs) for tonemapping (they send maxcll/fall 4000/1000 for everything on plex)...
plus no profile 8 support, no lossless audio support and no 24fps support for years (fixed in firmware 14.5 beta though) I really cant wait til iTunes is available on the Shield so I can get rid of this crappy device.

As always, THANK YOU @manixx for the shogun samples.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:54 pm
Interesting! I guess he came to that conclusion after testing the new DV pattern from his upcoming Spears and Munsil UHD bluray disc.
I don't really know about chroma upsampling nor ringing and I never really compared with LLDV but AFAIK, TV-LED DV on my setup (x700 + C8) looks much better and brighter than static HDR10 (better shadow details and more pop).
I'm doubtful that your Dolby Vision experience is flawless, me and many others have noted crushed as well as elevated blacks on the C8 regardless of the input source.

Here's the test pattern: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/spears ... t-59634582
It's FEL so you can compare HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Spears is right on the madVR Envy, it is being tuned very well to look better than Dolby Vision for tonemapping.
No doubt HDR10 with proper tonemapping would look as good, if not better.

Dolby surely has made a huge mess out of this "standardizing HDR playback" idea.
Last edited by quietvoid on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

quietvoid wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:14 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:54 pm
Interesting! I guess he came to that conclusion after testing the new DV pattern from his upcoming Spears and Munsil UHD bluray disc.
I don't really know about chroma upsampling nor ringing and I never really compared with LLDV but AFAIK, TV-LED DV on my setup (x700 + C8) looks much better and brighter than static HDR10 (better shadow details and more pop).
I'm doubtful that your Dolby Vision experience is flawless, me and many others have noted crushed as well as elevated blacks on the C8 regardless of the input source.

Spears is right on the madVR Envy, it is being tuned very well to look better than Dolby Vision for tonemapping.
No doubt HDR10 with proper tonemapping would look as good, if not better.

Dolby surely has made a huge mess out of this "standardizing HDR playback" idea.
flawless ?? I never said that about anything I posted here lol ...

AFAIK = as far as I know :)
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:19 am
flawless ?? I never said that about anything I posted here lol ...

AFAIK = as far as I know :)
Right, but I wouldn't personally consider bad shadows a good experience even if it's brighter :wink:
At least that's what I've noticed. HDR is supposed to have good lower range as well, which isn't the case with Dolby Vision on these TV sets.

I've edited the test pattern in the post a little late, here it is again:
quietvoid wrote:
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I've edited the test pattern in the post a little late, here it is again:
quietvoid wrote:
thanks!
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

Hi everyone, days ago I send a query to Chromecast support team asking if the Chromecast with Google TV supports TV-LED or LLDV processing.

After a typical initial useless answer and my reply, they derived the question to some people they named "Level 2 technicians" who answered me that the new Chromecast support both TV-LED and LLDV, being LLDV the default processing.

I don't now if this have been changed in the last february firmware update, but as I noticed before, I observe an excelent playback quality in Dolby Vision mode in my Panasonic HZ1000, with good colour management and not dimmed image. Besides I checked that my TV uses the light sensor when demanded, which shouldn't be possible in LLDV.

So, when could it be an updated review Manixx? :)
Last edited by yossSP on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:39 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:14 pm
XTrojan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:05 am
So much words being thrown left and right, can't someone just test Sony X800M2, Ugoos and Minix with DV FEL and then post a few pictures to see the differences (if there are any) ?
Well, I'll get my ugoos next week (probably) and I will surely compare it to my x700 and shield and share my impression...
I don't have the expensive Atomos Shogun that @manix has though.
About 3 year’s ago I realized that the Xbox LLDV could be captured so I started looking for ways to get the better picture it is a fact the all streaming services playback both type of file hdr & dv version & the dv
version has always been better quality than hdr10 @ reset999 could attest to that
Same should apply to uhd Blu-ray’s dv version of the move & hdr10 version.
We are looking for the perfect combination device Mel/fel/streaming/uhd/iso.
& of course top notch audio lol

Just for fun I’ll do hdr10 captures off wonder vision as well all 6 devices so we can compare to the LLDV we got from all six devices
Hi Manixx, nice to read this, so the new Chromecast with february firmware is in your list, I supose... :wink:

As I mentioned before it should support TV-LED and LLDV so it's possible that your Vertex cause the Chromecast enables LLDV processing.

It shouldn't happen when connected directly to an HDMI port of a TV-LED TV.
Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

yossSP wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:56 am
Manixx2020beyound wrote:
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Well, I'll get my ugoos next week (probably) and I will surely compare it to my x700 and shield and share my impression...
I don't have the expensive Atomos Shogun that @manix has though.
About 3 year’s ago I realized that the Xbox LLDV could be captured so I started looking for ways to get the better picture it is a fact the all streaming services playback both type of file hdr & dv version & the dv
version has always been better quality than hdr10 @ reset999 could attest to that

Just for fun I’ll do hdr10 captures off wonder vision as well all 6 devices so we can compare to the LLDV we got from all six devices
Hi Manixx, nice to read this, so the new Chromecast with february firmware is in your list, I supose... :wink:

As I mentioned before it should support TV-LED and LLDV so it's possible that your Vertex cause the Chromecast enables LLDV processing.

Quite possible,
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11845
Looks identical to the Sony which is a good thing, going to do some some Uhbd test on it me/fel well going to try,
if it does have tv-led that’s a plus of course
Most movies are 23.976 anyway which u have to set manually. But for the price it beets the dune on fel & many other devices
Just tested the Knowing which is FEL as well watching looks good too,
I made a single layer fel ts using make mkv 1st.
Ok got a nob question for u guys that make
Thes conversions
How did I manage to get profile 8 with bl-Rpu-el ??
Please help on that part is that real
580AE215-6C13-48C9-8F41-87E06AD7C3EC.jpeg
580AE215-6C13-48C9-8F41-87E06AD7C3EC.jpeg (876.78 KiB) Viewed 14510 times
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:00 am
yossSP wrote:
Manixx2020beyound wrote:

Quite possible,
Looks identical to the Sony which is a good thing, going to do some some Uhbd test on it me/fel well going to try,
Most movies are 23.976 anyway which u have to set manually. But for the price it beets the dune on fel & many other devices
Thes conversions
Great Manixx, thanks for your tests!
you have finally been able to confirm what I was observing :)
Still waiting for next discoveries.

PS: sorry, I can't give support to get profile 8 with bl-Rpu-el :(
Fuso90

Post by Fuso90 »

Hi everyone! Is there any better way to play DoVi directly on LG B8 internal player? Currently I'm using this way which is from the beginning of the thread I think and I didn't follow the thread lately. I see that I missed a lot... so if somebody can give a straight answer.

Code: Select all

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7.06 --input-file 1.hevc --input-file 2.hevc --input-file 3.ac3 --media-lang eng --output-file movie.mp4
XTrojan

Post by XTrojan »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
yossSP wrote:
Manixx2020beyound wrote:

Quite possible,
Thes conversions
How come the Ugoos can't auto switch to 24p? Isn't it running Kodi which has auto-switch function? Or does Kodi on the Ugoos not support DV FEL?
Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

XTrojan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:19 pm
Manixx2020beyound wrote:
yossSP wrote:

Quite possible,
Thes conversions
How come the Ugoos can't auto switch to 24p? Isn't it running Kodi which has auto-switch function? Or does Kodi on the Ugoos not support DV FEL?
Chromecast is the device.
Haven’t gotten my hand on the ugoos yet.
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

XTrojan wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:19 pm
Manixx2020beyound wrote:
yossSP wrote:

Quite possible,
Thes conversions
Ugoos does autoswitch framerate with Kodi.
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

Any chance i can make that yuescope tool work on ubuntu? if so can anyone help me out with that on what i need to do? i already made a bash file for the python scripts
Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
Soundbar: LG SK8 (not LG SK8Y)
plex pass user
Discord:Rosa#1111