Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
speeddemon

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by speeddemon »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:16 am
speeddemon wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:42 am
Would it be possible to have a version of DoVi_Scripts someday that uses DoViBaker and dovi_tool to reconstruct the FEL image and output a correct P8.1 file?
@quietvoid & @RESET_9999 have either of you considered teaming up with erazortt to do this?
Thanks!
The output wouldn't be easily playable if it sticks to lossless encoding, as the files would be huge.
And there are too many variables when reencoding lossy, so it's probably not worth it.
@quietvoid and @RESET_9999 is this FEL expansion issue more of a problem for >1000-nit displays or is it also a problem on typical 700-1000-nit OLEDs?
Also, is there anywhere where one of you (or someone else) has completely explained why this FEL expansion issue exists and what is happening in detail?
Is it better to just watch in HDR instead of DV for movies with FEL expansion if a FEL compatible player isn't an option?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:19 am

@quietvoid and @RESET_9999 is this FEL expansion issue more of a problem for >1000-nit displays or is it also a problem on typical 700-1000-nit OLEDs?
Also, is there anywhere where one of you (or someone else) has completely explained why this FEL expansion issue exists and what is happening in detail?
Is it better to just watch in HDR instead of DV for movies with FEL expansion if a FEL compatible player isn't an option?
it's a problem for any display.
The TV receives brightness metadata (L1/L2) that is wrong for the content it's displaying so because it thinks the content is much brighter than it is, it dims the brightness accordingly to adapt to its capabilities.

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1qBQLZIIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0J0blslHjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObky4peBXE
danbez

Post by danbez »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:44 am
speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:19 am

it's a problem for any display.
The TV receives brightness metadata (L1/L2) that is wrong for the content it's displaying so because it thinks the content is much brighter than it is, it dims the brightness accordingly to adapt to its capabilities.

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1qBQLZIIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0J0blslHjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObky4peBXE
On top of that, we also have titles where the Base Layer was poorly authored resulting in a lot of compression artifacts and other issues that are only fixed with the FEL layer. Typical examples are Total Recall, Halloween 2 and a few others.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:44 am
Do you/we have any idea why they're doing this?
Would it be possible to re-write the L1/L2 metadata so it's corrected/"unexpanded"?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:49 pm
Would it be possible to re-write the L1/L2 metadata so it's corrected/"unexpanded"?
4 options:
1- just watch in HDR10
2- bake the EL into the BL
3- generate a proper RPU in resolve for the BL actual brightness.
4- get a proper player

Expanding the brightness makes sense actually. It futureproofs the grade for when the TV will be brighter and it makes the content accurate on more type(brightness, HDR format) of display.

Because this way, people with brighter DV TV(G3) can enjoy brighter HDR and people with low nits DV TV can also get an accurate picture thanks to the trim pass and L1.
Then, people with HDR10-only TVs (low nits) can also get an accurate image with the 1000nits BL. If the BL was as bright as the EL, then those low-nits HDR10 TVs would look bad/clipped.
danbez wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:08 pm
On top of that, we also have titles where the Base Layer was poorly authored resulting in a lot of compression artifacts and other issues that are only fixed with the FEL layer. Typical examples are Total Recall, Halloween 2 and a few others.
That's right. I found a couple that improve grain/details: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =917134052
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:01 pm
Do you have a tutorial for this or know of a tutorial for this?

Thanks!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:11 pm
Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFiqATo_j8
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:14 pm
speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:11 pm
Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFiqATo_j8
Can I do this in the free version of Resolve?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:34 pm
I don't think so
Trees

Post by Trees »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:13 am
And any reencoding of a Blu-ray into IPT would be worse as transcoding is lossy.
Of course. But visually lossless quality transcoding is possible. If it's advantageous to visually losslessly convert Blu-ray remuxes to IPTPQc2, why wouldn't you? We're all trying to get the absolute best quality available, after all.

What HDR would you say is the best, purely in terms of colour representation, accuracy and quality? P5, P7 or P8.1? Why is the IPTPQc2 colour space better than the YCbCr color space found on Blu-rays?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just quite interested in the subject and trying to do a bit of research in Dolby Vision (I've tried to read the white papers, but they're too overwhelming). I'm just trying to find out what is best for me, in layman's terms. I leaning towards valuing HDR quality over bit rate, so I'm willing to trade in my remuxes for WEB-DLs, they're very good these days, but only IF the HDR is actually better than the HDR found on Blu-rays.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Trees wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:19 pm
Of course. But visually lossless quality transcoding is possible. If it's advantageous to visually losslessly convert Blu-ray remuxes to IPTPQc2, why wouldn't you? We're all trying to get the absolute best quality available, after all.
Because it doesn't make a difference, if it's lossless then your output looks the same. Regardless of the final colourspace.
Trees wrote:
What HDR would you say is the best, purely in terms of colour representation, accuracy and quality? P5, P7 or P8.1? Why is the IPTPQc2 colour space better than the YCbCr color space found on Blu-rays?
Bitrate usually trumps anything else, but YMMV.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:15 pm
speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:34 pm
I don't think so
I have Resolve Studio on my work computer and am going to give this a try later today.

Is the FEL Expansion more significant on some movies compared to others? I can't see the difference when toggling between watching "The Super Mario Bros. (2023)" with FEL stripped and with FEL enabled. I also can barely see a difference when toggling here: https://slow.pics/c/WAdUe5GZ

Do you know whether this kind of expansion also happens on Profile 5 IPTPQc2 videos?
I'm looking at the L1 plot for "The Super Mario Bros. (2023)" and can't tell how you'd determine this:

Compared to the Profile 7 FEL plot:
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:12 pm
Do you know whether this kind of expansion also happens on Profile 5 IPTPQc2 videos?
only fel can expand brightness. Well the L2 trim passes too can make it brighter but it has nothing to do with fel.
The studios sometimes deliver different version for streaming and disc... It was the same for Rise of gru. The WEB version is 2000nits but the bluray BL is 1000nits with fel that restore the original HDR master.
Is the FEL Expansion more significant on some movies compared to others?
yes, and sometimes it's just the highlights that are brighter. https://slow.pics/c/pzYlva2Y
Any difference from the HDR master is recorded in the EL.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Trees wrote:
Of course. But visually lossless quality transcoding is possible. If it's advantageous to visually losslessly convert Blu-ray remuxes to IPTPQc2, why wouldn't you?

IPTPQc2 is better when it's encoded straight from the 12bit master. The colorspace is more efficient and retains more color information which in the end is the equivalent of 11.5bits YCbCr(exceeding our tv capabilities btw).
There's no point/benefit in going from 10bit YUV to IPTPQc2.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
speeddemon wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:49 pm
4 options:
1- just watch in HDR10
2- bake the EL into the BL
4- get a proper player

Expanding the brightness makes sense actually. It futureproofs the grade for when the TV will be brighter and it makes the content accurate on more type(brightness, HDR format) of display.

Because this way, people with brighter DV TV(G3) can enjoy brighter HDR and people with low nits DV TV can also get an accurate picture thanks to the trim pass and L1.
Then, people with HDR10-only TVs (low nits) can also get an accurate image with the 1000nits BL. If the BL was as bright as the EL, then those low-nits HDR10 TVs would look bad/clipped.
danbez wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:08 pm
That's right. I found a couple that improve grain/details: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =917134052
How would i bake the EL into the BL?

This is for FEL titles only correct?