Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
danbez

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by danbez »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:10 am
danbez wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:19 pm
@quietvoid, can you explain your method ? Or send a link where I can learn about it? Thanks!
I don't provide support, it's in VapourSynth: https://github.com/OpusGang/awsmfunc/bl ... e.py#L1905
Thanks. I will try it out.
axeyou

Post by axeyou »

When taking FEL screenshots with DoViBaker in AvsPmod, is there a good way to tone map to SDR? I've tried the default generated script as well as applying the 100-nit L2 trim to DoViBaker through "trimPq=2081, targetMaxNits=100, targetMinNits=1". Both look too washed out compared to CAH's 100-nit conversion. https://slow.pics/c/l7iEtcS3
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

axeyou wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:48 am
When taking FEL screenshots with DoViBaker in AvsPmod, is there a good way to tone map to SDR? I've tried the default generated script as well as applying the 100-nit L2 trim to DoViBaker through "trimPq=2081, targetMaxNits=100, targetMinNits=1". Both look too washed out compared to CAH's 100-nit conversion. https://slow.pics/c/l7iEtcS3
I guess you would have to add libplacebo in the script.
You can use 7-5-3 (madVR +MPC) which has the best HDR to SDR tone mapping anyway.

Code: Select all

LoadPlugin("D:\DoVi_Scripts\tools\DoViBaker_x64.dll") 
LoadPlugin("D:\DoVi_Scripts\tools\dgdecnv_242\DGDecodeNV.dll") 
LoadPlugin("D:\DoVi_Scripts\tools\avs_libplacebo.dll")  
bl = DGSource("D:\\P7_BL.dgi") 
el = DGSource("D:\\P7_EL.dgi") 
DoViBaker(bl, el, rpu= "D:\\P7RPU_FEL.bin") 
libplacebo_Tonemap(src_csp=1, dst_csp=0, dynamic_peak_detection=true, tone_mapping_function=0, tone_mapping_mode=1) 
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trees

Post by Trees »

I'm trying to inject HDR10+ metadata into an HR10 remux. However, the HDR10+ metadata is delayed by 24 frames.

How do I sync them? I'm familiar with syncing with dovi_tool, but I'm afraid it won't work with HDR10+.
axeyou

Post by axeyou »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:53 pm
I guess you would have to add libplacebo in the script.
You can use 7-5-3 (madVR +MPC) which has the best HDR to SDR tone mapping anyway.

LoadPlugin("D:\DoVi_Scripts\tools\DoViBaker_x64.dll") 
LoadPlugin("D:\DoVi_Scripts\tools\dgdecnv_242\DGDecodeNV.dll") 
bl = DGSource("D:\\P7_BL.dgi") 
el = DGSource("D:\\P7_EL.dgi") 
DoViBaker(bl, el, rpu= "D:\\P7RPU_FEL.bin") 
libplacebo_Tonemap(src_csp=1, dst_csp=0, dynamic_peak_detection=true, tone_mapping_function=0, tone_mapping_mode=1) 
Thanks, RESET! libplacebo looks much better!

Do you also happen to know how to apply it to BL only? It looks like it doesn't accept a DGSource("BL.dgi") as input:

LoadPlugin("D:\DoVi_Scripts\tools\dgdecnv\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("D:\Movies\\00009\00009_BL.dgi")
# libplacebo_Tonemap: failed uploading data to the GPU! Trying alternative RGB32 conversion. Attempt failed !
libplacebo_Tonemap(src_csp=1, dst_csp=0, dynamic_peak_detection=true, scene_threshold_high=-1)
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

it works fine on my end
btw I added support in the latest dovi_scripts workflow 7-1 for SDR tone mapping line 119 set tonemap=0

axeyou

Post by axeyou »

Thanks again, RESET! I guessed I just hit some bug. Restarted AvsPmod and it worked fine : )

Appreciate your help!
Trees

Post by Trees »

Does anyone know what streaming services provide the best quality Dolby Vision? I've been told different streaming services offer different quality Dolby Vision metadata. Do we have a list of streaming services what provide what features?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Trees wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:00 am
Does anyone know what streaming services provide the best quality Dolby Vision? I've been told different streaming services offer different quality Dolby Vision metadata. Do we have a list of streaming services what provide what features?
The L1/L2 metadata is most of the time exactly the same on all the streaming services. Only iTunes is slightly different with the static color reshaping, missing Level 4 and 5

I've seen newer cmv4.0 DV analysis(new L1) on streaming service MAX compared to iTunes old cmv2.9 but most of the time, it's the same.
thirdmoon

Post by thirdmoon »

Reset where can I find the presets for Davinici, sdr to hdr, hdr to sdr etc. ?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

thirdmoon wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:39 am
Reset where can I find the presets for Davinici, sdr to hdr, hdr to sdr etc. ?
since I bought Resolve I don't want to share the preset anymore sorry but...

''hdr to sdr'' preset is the same as the ''DV generation'' settings, you just deliver the 100nits trim.
sdr to hdr:
thirdmoon

Post by thirdmoon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:10 am
sdr to hdr:
Thanks.
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

I have been blindly converting hundreds of my Dolby Vision UHD BDs to Profile 8 for compatibility, but now I am starting to wonder if there is a point. When I compare the Profile 7 and 8 results in Plex on either the AppleTV or Shield they look the same. Now I can't see them side by side, but am I just wasting my time or is there a benefit maybe I am just seeing? At this point the only advantage I can easily recognize is DV playback with Infuse on the AppleTV with the Profile 8 conversion (albeit it doesn't always work).
aboulfad

Post by aboulfad »

Balthazar2k4 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:28 am
I have been blindly converting hundreds of my Dolby Vision UHD BDs to Profile 8 for compatibility, but now I am starting to wonder if there is a point. When I compare the Profile 7 and 8 results in Plex on either the AppleTV or Shield they look the same. Now I can't see them side by side, but am I just wasting my time or is there a benefit maybe I am just seeing? At this point the only advantage I can easily recognize is DV playback with Infuse on the AppleTV with the Profile 8 conversion (albeit it doesn't always work).
I am exactly in that position and didn’t convert my DV UHD BDs bcoz I wanted to convince myself objectively that I wasn’t loosing on PQ even if if can’t see a difference (even just MEL ones). This topic is quiet complex, I think one has to do pretty much the same amount of work and diligence that RESET9999 did to start reaching an understanding.

One approach is to use DV test pattern(s) and compare the performance of a reference DV player (Oppo 203) with ATV4K DV performance (by taking accurate photos of the screen), and that of Infuse or other DV software capable media streamer. I attempted to do this & you can find good reading starting w this https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewto ... 63#p135163 and the next few posts and replies from RESET9999.

One conclusion (whether significant or not), and dismissing any errors in the experiment, is that using that P8 DV test pattern, the Oppo shows elements of that test pattern that ATV (internal player) nor Infuse doesn’t. How does this reflect on PQ and what a human perceives during movie playback is a subject beyond me.

Maybe the convenience of having all digital media being available under the control of a streamer software (Infuse, …) trumps whatever PQ difference there may be. I’ll redo what I did w tvOS17 which brings P8 internal playback support.
[Oppo UDP-203, ATV 4K] —> Anthem MRX-720 —> LG OLED65E7P
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

It it possible to skip ProRes generation while converting HDR10+ to DV (using 3-1) or is it just better to use the old method if I want to do it quickly?