Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
crosis

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by crosis »

Thank you for that info Reset_9999. I have an RTX 4070 TI so the GPU is definitely not an issue. I have posted the question in the Handbrake forums as to whether it is baking the FEL. I also referenced your scripts to them to see if they can add the functionality in the case that it is not already doing it.

Just to be sure I don't waste my time encoding videos multiple times, I also wanted to ask if there is any reason to bake the FEL on all movies or is it only going to make a difference on movies listed in this sheet?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =427220017

If it's only the movies in the sheet, that's a relief because I only have about 10 of the movies on there.

Thanks again for any info on this!
skull88

Post by skull88 »

crosis wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:29 pm
Thank you for that info Reset_9999. I have an RTX 4070 TI so the GPU is definitely not an issue. I have posted the question in the Handbrake forums as to whether it is baking the FEL. I also referenced your scripts to them to see if they can add the functionality in the case that it is not already doing it.

Just to be sure I don't waste my time encoding videos multiple times, I also wanted to ask if there is any reason to bake the FEL on all movies or is it only going to make a difference on movies listed in this sheet?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =427220017

If it's only the movies in the sheet, that's a relief because I only have about 10 of the movies on there.

Thanks again for any info on this!
FEL basically always does something, whether it's fixing up details/grain/edges/compression artifacts or as noted on the spreadsheet, changing brightness of the image. It is debatable if you'd be able to notice the former in motion and if it's worth the extra encoding time, but obviously, you should bake in if it's the latter, with brightness changes. Your call.
crosis

Post by crosis »

Well, my current process is to rip using MakeMKV, then I encode the file to MP4 using Handbrake with pretty much automatic settings on CRF 22-24 targeting a roughly 3.5GB/hr max size for the movie. Can I just use Reset_9999's script in place of Handbrake for the same functionality until I get an answer from them on whether they are also baking it in? I haven't messed with the individual command switches, I've always just let Handbrake do it's thing and it's worked so far. My settings are pictured below:

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

by default, the script uses CRF-15 at slow preset with some custom CLI.
You can edit the x265_HDR_settings.bat (tools folder) and change it to your CRF 22-24 and it should produce a similar file size to your current handbrake workflow.

PS: The encoding scripts dont mux to mp4/mkv/ts though. you'll get an encoded HEVC DV file that you have to mux manually.
crosis

Post by crosis »

What would you recommend as the best way to Mux it to MP4 without losing quality? I know each time you re-encode a video, you lose a little quality. I suppose leaving the quality at CRF-15 in the script then doing my normal Handbrake process wouldn't lose me any noticeable quality. Or would I be able to just use the dovi-baker portion of the script then drop the resulting files into Handbrake? Sorry for all the questions. While I've been running my Plex server and encoding movies for several years, I've never delved quite this deeply into it.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

MP4 is just a container, it doesnt change the quality. You can mux to mp4 via CLI or if you're not familiar with CLI, you could mux it to MKV with audio and then run it into the mp4 version of the script in workflow 5.
Or if you don't care about subtitles (you can use external srt though), mux it to TS with "X:\DoVi_Scripts\tools\tsMuxerGUI.exe"
LG TVs play TS DV files just fine, that's the container I use on my C2.
crosis

Post by crosis »

OK, I always knew changing containers shouldn't change the stream but every utility I've looked at for changing to MP4 always seems to want to re-encode the stream. I'll look into the processes you mentioned. I used MKV until the DolbyVision implementation in Handbrake and it was much easier to manipulate with MKVToolnix available. I switched to mp4 for DV because it worked on my C1 and A2s, I have a bunch of family and friends who use my Plex server, and it seems to be the most compatible container. I also have some family who are hard of hearing so subtitles are a must but I have to use external srt because Handbrake will only embed SSA subs which are pretty much useless. I think just using your script in place of handbrake then muxing to mp4 will be my best option so I'll just have to take a look at that and give it a shot.
crosis

Post by crosis »

Any idea what could cause this? Other people have had this issue with avs2pipemod but no one seems to have an answer as to why or how to fix it. I'm going to try a few things. I only have an OS drive and network attached storage. This was on my datadhare coming from my TrueNAS. I know it's not recommended but I'm going to try it on my OS drive to see if I get the same error.

UPDATE: I fixed the issue. Turned out the version of AVISynth linked on the homepage is super old. You have to grab it from GitHub to get a compatible version.

crosis

Post by crosis »

So I have one more question as I don't know the CLI well enough to figure out what is wrong here. All I changed in your script was the CRF setting to 22, the output is about 10GB to 12GB for a 2.5 hr movie. These same movies using my settings from Handbrake with a CRF of 22 ends up at about 3.5GB to 4.5GB and I can't really see any discernable difference. Using the info below, can you tell me what is different that is causing such a huge change in bit-rate and what I can change to get a closer output? As I have family using my server remotely and I have relatively slow upload speed, I try to keep files smaller to keep from buffering. In a worst-case scenario, I guess I can encode with Dovi_Scripts to a very low CRF number to keep as much quality as possible, then re-encode in Handbrake using my normal settings but that will make my encodes take days.

If the settings below are too much to go through, would it be possible to use the commands your script does to get a FEL-baked video file before it goes into x265 that I can then put through Handbrake? Or is this not possible because X265 in combination with AVISynth is what is baking the FEL in?
I have tried running the command below on the files the 8-6-1 workflow created and it just keeps filling the file up until space runs out. If this does work using a variation on what I've tried, you can disregard all the settings I pasted below and just give me that command:
avs2pipemod64.exe -y4mp script.avs > output.hevc

Encoding Log settings image Left is Handbrake log, Right is active encode using Dovi_Scripts:

Here is what mediaInfo shows for the encoder settings for a file from DoviScripts and one from HandBrake (Not the same file so frame counts are different). I unfortunately can't get the command that Handbrake passed to x265 anywhere that I can find. I have no idea what here is default vs things that need entered into the CLI.

HandBrake
cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=12 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x2076 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / no-eob / no-eos / hrd / info / hash=0 / temporal-layers=0 / open-gop / min-keyint=24 / keyint=240 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / no-hist-scenecut / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / selective-sao=4 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=25600 / vbv-bufsize=25600 / vbv-init=0.9 / min-vbv-fullness=50.0 / max-vbv-fullness=80.0 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=1 / chromaloc-top=2 / chromaloc-bottom=2 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(8500,39850)B(6550,2300)R(35400,14600)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1) / cll=1000,206 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr10 / hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / scenecut-aware-qp=0conformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0 / decoder-max-rate=0 / no-vbv-live-multi-pass / no-mcstf / no-sbrc

DoviScripts
cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=12 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x1608 / interlace=0 / total-frames=243552 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / no-eob / no-eos / hrd / info / hash=0 / temporal-layers=0 / no-open-gop / min-keyint=23 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / no-hist-scenecut / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / no-strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=-3:-3 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / selective-sao=0 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 / vbv-init=0.9 / min-vbv-fullness=50.0 / max-vbv-fullness=80.0 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / no-cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=1 / chromaloc-top=2 / chromaloc-bottom=2 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1) / cll=1483,102 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr10 / hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / scenecut-aware-qp=0conformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0 / decoder-max-rate=0 / no-vbv-live-multi-pass / no-mcstf / no-sbrc
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Are the Oppo 203 (now discontinued and sold online for nearly $1000), the Sony x700 and the Sony x800m2 the only bluray players on the planet that are capable of playing all types of dolby vision file? If so that's pretty crazy.
    RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

crosis wrote:
    Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:50 am
    So I have one more question
    I'm not an encoder expert but FEL will increase the bitrate for sure and you can try to match the buffer to your handbrake settings.
    the script: vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000
    your cli: vbv-maxrate=25600 / vbv-bufsize=25600

PS: FF RW is most likely be buggy with the mp4 container using your handbrake settings though. TVs don't like open GOP encodes
    deadchip12 wrote:
    Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:23 am
      Are the Oppo 203 (now discontinued and sold online for nearly $1000), the Sony x700 and the Sony x800m2 the only bluray players on the planet that are capable of playing all types of dolby vision file? If so that's pretty crazy.
      pretty much but I just found something concerning about our beloved x700/x800 with low nits real content Five.Nights.at.Freddys.2023 : https://slow.pics/c/R0A9O244
      according to the original brightness and metadata plot(L1 L2), only the Shield makes sense here.
      darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

Hey guys, it's been a long time I've visited this thread. About a year ago I've decided to leave/mux everything to profile 8 in mkv as this has the most compatibility on my Philips TV 65OLED934 (2019). There were times where Plex would let me play single-layer profile 7, but plex patched that out a while ago.
      For all of the characteristics the Philips Android TV is very similar to the Sony Bravia A8H from the sheet.
      However, I've recently tried to watch some content on an LG G3 and noticed that it wouldn't play DV Profile 8 in mkv, this is the command I've used to mux the content to mp4:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -map 0 -c copy -strict unofficial -c:s mov_text output.mp4
      deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
      Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:55 pm
      pretty much but I just found something concerning about our beloved x700/x800 with low nits real content Five.Nights.at.Freddys.2023 : https://slow.pics/c/R0A9O244
      according to the original brightness and metadata plot(L1 L2), only the Shield makes sense here.
      Sorry could you explain what the screenshot indicates?
      And do the current issues with the x700/x800 only happen with dolby vision files but not dolby vision discs?
      RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
      Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:01 am
      Sorry could you explain what the screenshot indicates?
      And do the current issues with the x700/x800 only happen with dolby vision files but not dolby vision discs?
      Reference: original HDR frame is 92 nits , Edid is LG C2 (896nits). L2 trims is a positive lift (brighten), L1 is 100nits

x700 L1 + L2 original is 82nits (darker than HDR10, doesn't make sense)
      x700 L1 only is 66nits (much darker than HDR10, doesn't make sense)
      ATV L1 + L2 original is 93nits (trims bring the brightness to the original level)
      ATV L1 only is 76nits (darker than HDR10, doesn't make sense)
      Shield L1 + L2 original is 114nits (expected brightness for this type of L2 lift)
      Shield L1 only is 94nits (same as original brightness. expected for a 100nits L1 on a 896nits TV)

Only the Shield seems logical here.

plots (shot is around frame 1200 IIRC)
      Image Image
      HotFudge

Post by HotFudge »

RESET_9999 wrote:
      Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:31 pm
      crosis wrote:
      Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:50 am
      Preferably a scripted process as I've heard that one is available
      No idea about handbrake but the script in my signature can bake FEL to P8. Workflow 8-6-1 but it requires an nvidia GPU.
      it can also encode P5 to P8, HLG to HDR10 or P8 to P8

When will 1.9.8.6 be released? Github latest version is 1.9.8.5

Cheers