Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Grencola
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:37 pm

tango306 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:42 pm
benhur wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:41 am
Why don't you demux the Dolby Digital 640 kbps english track ?
It should be the same result as demuxing the Dolby Atmos core (5.1, 640 kbps)
Because it's not the main track. Director commentary etc.
Also, the ac3 core is in 5.1 expanded, which includes a 6th channel imbedded into the 5.1 track with a digital flag that automatically activates Dolby Digital EX on any AVR / Soundbar that supports it.

Alldu
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Alldu » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Grencola wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:30 am
for those who care, I've updated my program to be smarter. I combined the two apps into one, and named it DV-MP4-Maker. It now checks for the file type (m2ts or mkv) in the chosen directory and runs the required script.

I added support for smb/network shares (although mapping the network drive works fine), keeping the original filename intact, and it also checks the file for a DV layer and if no track is found it prompts you and exits instead of trying anyway with crazy errors.

link: https://bit.ly/2F9tSEN

cheers! :)
Hi Grencola,

I've just discovered your program, and by the look of it, it's just what I need! However, this link isn't working anymore, so is there a way I can obtain this excellent tool? Thanks so much in advance!

tango306
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 pm

benhur wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:21 pm
Hi
I made a new "test file" for those who wants to try quickly if a tv is able to read DV mp4 or not.
13 Hours.teaser.DV.mp4 - 213.2 Mo
Enjoy !
Good. Thanks for sharing.
I also have 13 Hours disc. As usual from Paramount, this disc features Full Enhancement Layer Dolby Vision. FEL has average 7.3Mbps bitrate.

Grencola
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:24 am

Alldu wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 pm
Hi Grencola,

I've just discovered your program, and by the look of it, it's just what I need! However, this link isn't working anymore, so is there a way I can obtain this excellent tool? Thanks so much in advance!
https://bit.ly/2WbHZR0

Alldu
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Alldu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Grencola wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:24 am
Alldu wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 pm
Hi Grencola,

I've just discovered your program, and by the look of it, it's just what I need! However, this link isn't working anymore, so is there a way I can obtain this excellent tool? Thanks so much in advance!
https://bit.ly/2WbHZR0
Thanks so much! I was just wondering - if I want to add subtitle file after I've made mp4, I just do it as usual - via MKVtoolNix? No tricks here? :)

Alldu
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Alldu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:32 pm

benhur wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:15 pm
You can't add subtitle into mp4.
To have movie and subtitle, you need to make a .srt file (with the exact same name as the movie) and place it in the same folder as the movie.
Normally the srt file should be read by the player. (It works on LG) :wink:
Right, dumb me! MKV is a container while mp4 is not... Thanks! But is there a way you can combine (mux?) an mp4 and a graphic-based subtitle file, such as SUB/IDX, so that the the player read the subs as it usually does with .mkv? Would putting SUB/IDX and mp4 in one folder be the solution?

Grencola
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Alldu wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm
Thanks so much! I was just wondering - if I want to add subtitle file after I've made mp4, I just do it as usual - via MKVtoolNix? No tricks here? :)
Use this: https://bit.ly/2OYwutN it will give you English subtitles along with your mp4.

Alldu
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Alldu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm

Grencola wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 pm
Alldu wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm
Thanks so much! I was just wondering - if I want to add subtitle file after I've made mp4, I just do it as usual - via MKVtoolNix? No tricks here? :)
Use this: https://bit.ly/2OYwutN it will give you English subtitles along with your mp4.
Thanks again! It works with .srt files only? Or with graphic-based - such as SUB/IDX?

Grencola
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 pm

Alldu wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm
Grencola wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 pm
Alldu wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:09 pm
Thanks so much! I was just wondering - if I want to add subtitle file after I've made mp4, I just do it as usual - via MKVtoolNix? No tricks here? :)
Use this: https://bit.ly/2OYwutN it will give you English subtitles along with your mp4.
Thanks again! It works with .srt files only? Or with graphic-based - such as SUB/IDX?
no prob man. should work with everything SubtitleEdit supports; pgs, sub, ocr, srt, etc..

Alldu
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Alldu » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:40 am

Grencola wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 pm
Alldu wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm
Grencola wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Use this: https://bit.ly/2OYwutN it will give you English subtitles along with your mp4.
Thanks again! It works with .srt files only? Or with graphic-based - such as SUB/IDX?
no prob man. should work with everything SubtitleEdit supports; pgs, sub, ocr, srt, etc..
So cool! thanks a lot!

Redhawk2000
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Redhawk2000 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:08 am

Anyone have any idea if the newer lg c9 with HDMI 2.1 and eARC would be able to play full DV disc rips via USB or Ethernet and then output (via eARC) lossless audio to a receiver?

I ask because I just ordered a c8 on sale but would cancel it if the above was a maybe.

SamuriHL
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by SamuriHL » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:37 am

It does have eARC so that's a definite maybe. You, of course, also need a receiver that can support it. But I don't know if their LG player supports doing so.

Redhawk2000
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Redhawk2000 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:46 am

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:37 am
It does have eARC so that's a definite maybe. You, of course, also need a receiver that can support it. But I don't know if their LG player supports doing so.
Didn't even think of the receiver needing to support eARC. Was just thinking of it handling lossless codecs. Good point. Guess that would be a whole other issue.

Alldu
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Alldu » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:30 pm

Grencola wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 pm
Alldu wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm
Grencola wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Use this: https://bit.ly/2OYwutN it will give you English subtitles along with your mp4.
Thanks again! It works with .srt files only? Or with graphic-based - such as SUB/IDX?
no prob man. should work with everything SubtitleEdit supports; pgs, sub, ocr, srt, etc..
Hi Grencola, so I tried your subtitles tool on Spider-Man Homecoming and unfrotunately it gives me an error:
This subtitle conversion is not supported.
This file does not contain a Dolby Vision video track. Try another file!

THis is an .m2ts file, and then I try the usual dv-mp4-maker on it, it makes a perfect mp4 with Dolby Vision. Any idea what am I doing wrong? Many thanks!

Grencola
Posts: 164
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 pm

Alldu wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:30 pm
Grencola wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:54 pm
Alldu wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm


Thanks again! It works with .srt files only? Or with graphic-based - such as SUB/IDX?
no prob man. should work with everything SubtitleEdit supports; pgs, sub, ocr, srt, etc..
Hi Grencola, so I tried your subtitles tool on Spider-Man Homecoming and unfrotunately it gives me an error:
This subtitle conversion is not supported.
This file does not contain a Dolby Vision video track. Try another file!

THis is an .m2ts file, and then I try the usual dv-mp4-maker on it, it makes a perfect mp4 with Dolby Vision. Any idea what am I doing wrong? Many thanks!
weird, SubtitleEdit seems to struggle with zib subs, I haven't seen them before either. just extract this: https://subdl.com/subtitle_dl.php?p=L3N ... 8xNzg0NTMx into your movie folder and rename it to match your mp4.
https://subdl.com usually has it if you can't make one.

Post Reply