Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

jcdr428 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 pm
Hi all, so I registered to the forum, as it will certainly be more efficient than members notifying of discussions from here on the tsMuxer forum (thanks @baker99). By the way I am far from being a 'real dev'...

Patch for tsMuxer profile 4 / single track double layer has been pushed here.

@yusesope, according to the DV profile & level document, profile 4 is normally limited to BL signal cross-compatibility ID 2 = SDR with VUI BL 0, 1, 1, 1, 0 EL 1, 2, 2, 2, 0. Your profile 4 single track files created from Blu-ray double tracks have VUI BL & EL 0, 9, 16, 9, 2. I don't have any DV hardware to test lecture of the files, should I keep BL signal cross-compatibility ID to 6, or change it to 2 ?
Hi, thank's a lot for the updated tsMuxer and welcome to the forum :)
baker99

Post by baker99 »

Mortenjorstad wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:34 pm
box4m wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:33 pm
Mortenjorstad wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:39 pm
I have know made M2ts files with hd audio on all my 56 DV movies. Every movie play perfect on shield 2019 with DV and Atmos/dts x sound.

1 demux with eac3to Eac3to path to moviefolder 2:bl.hevc 3:el.hevc

2 tak the 2 files and import them into yuseope tool v02

3 use tsmuxer modified Version, mux file made by yuseope tool with audio from Blu-ray.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=10zOr0IU ... t=download

care to explain the steps and commands u use for this?
would appriciate alot
You need
Eac3to 3.34
Tsmuxer
Yusesope tool v.0.0.3

First you have to make bl.hevc and el.hevc

Eac3to path to folder with DV movie 2:bl.hevc 3:el.hevc

Know you have made 2 files bl.hevc and el.hevc

Start yusesope tool and drop first bl.hevc and then el.hevc
This will make a new hevc fIle

Start tsmuxerGui
Add the file you made With yusesope tool
Add Blu-ray movie and just select the soundtrack
Mux the files together in Ts.

You will know have a movie that is DV with Atmos that will play on shield 2019
Is there any advantage using eac3to over ffmpeg for extracting layers?
Mortenjorstad

Post by Mortenjorstad »

baker99 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:28 pm
Mortenjorstad wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:34 pm
box4m wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:33 pm

care to explain the steps and commands u use for this?
would appriciate alot
You need
Eac3to 3.34
Tsmuxer
Yusesope tool v.0.0.3

First you have to make bl.hevc and el.hevc

Eac3to path to folder with DV movie 2:bl.hevc 3:el.hevc

Know you have made 2 files bl.hevc and el.hevc

Start yusesope tool and drop first bl.hevc and then el.hevc
This will make a new hevc fIle

Start tsmuxerGui
Add the file you made With yusesope tool
Add Blu-ray movie and just select the soundtrack
Mux the files together in Ts.

You will know have a movie that is DV with Atmos that will play on shield 2019
Is there any advantage using eac3to over ffmpeg for extracting layers?
No don´t think so, I have just used Eac3to never used ffmpeg
variant

Post by variant »

1000010 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:53 pm
does this conversion with yusesope script work if EL is FEL? I'm guessing if it does the Shield won't play it properly according to the diagram posted previously, so the conversion wouldn't make sense, because it won't improve HDR at all. is this correct?

also, how do you differentiate between MEL or FEL in a bluray?
This link to a blu-ray.com forum post lists whether many discs are FEL or MEL.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

jcdr428 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 pm
Hi all, so I registered to the forum, as it will certainly be more efficient than members notifying of discussions from here on the tsMuxer forum (thanks @baker99). By the way I am far from being a 'real dev'...

Patch for tsMuxer profile 4 / single track double layer has been pushed here.

@yusesope, according to the DV profile & level document, profile 4 is normally limited to BL signal cross-compatibility ID 2 = SDR with VUI BL 0, 1, 1, 1, 0 EL 1, 2, 2, 2, 0. Your profile 4 single track files created from Blu-ray double tracks have VUI BL & EL 0, 9, 16, 9, 2. I don't have any DV hardware to test lecture of the files, should I keep BL signal cross-compatibility ID to 6, or change it to 2 ?
First of all thank you for your work.

As for your question, we were talking about it here on the forum the other day.
Here is what I wrote:
yusesope wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:58 am
In the case of a profile 4, according to the guidelines, cross-compatibility should be set to SDR (DVCompatibility = 2). My files are reported as compatible with HDR10: tsMuxeR correctly manages the VUIs (0,9,16,9,2) while my file is slightly out of standard (as it is derived from a UHD-BD). But the behavior of the decoder is not dependent on these Dolby Vision defined crosscompatibility IDs, so we're safe!
Unfortunately, like you, I don't own a device that can play movies with DV tracks either.
For now we leave the cross-compatibility ID at 6.
If there is a need to set DVCompatibility = 2 in the future, I'll let you know!

PS:
It's just me, or Dolby has blocked access to the official documentation with a nice login.
Does that mean we guessed it right? :mrgreen:
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

yusesope wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:36 pm
PS:
It's just me, or Dolby has blocked access to the official documentation with a nice login.
Does that mean we guessed it right? :mrgreen:
I noticed that too, but I was thinking it might've been some patent troll who took over the site. I did find a mirror here:

http://docplayer.net/44473907-Dolby-vis ... evels.html

Could be an older version of the doc though
agentreza

Post by agentreza »

So with this current method, do we no longer have the same issues we were having with dvdfab's conversion?

I was able make rhe new fantastic beasts work on the shield but have no idea if this is "correct"? Thanks for the hard work peepz :)
variant

Post by variant »

As an alternative to plex on shield:

I Made a .ts file following instructions here. I was able to play the file on the shield’s built in video player and it triggered DV on my Vizio TV. It appeared to also bitstream audio to my receiver. I didn’t test it with an Atmos track because the movie I used didn’t have one. I just opened the file in x-plore from usb and selected “video player.” I was able to fast forward and pause in short increments with no issues but if you skip ahead really far in the movie it doesn’t resume correctly.

Anyone have an Atmos file they can test to see if the internal player passes Atmos? I assume the player matches your output settings in the general shield audio settings.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

variant wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:21 pm
1000010 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:53 pm
does this conversion with yusesope script work if EL is FEL? I'm guessing if it does the Shield won't play it properly according to the diagram posted previously, so the conversion wouldn't make sense, because it won't improve HDR at all. is this correct?

also, how do you differentiate between MEL or FEL in a bluray?
This link to a blu-ray.com forum post lists whether many discs are FEL or MEL.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448
Hi, is it possible to create file with fel and Atmos that will play on shield, even if that is only 10bit?
And will that file then play on Oppo 203?
Willing to try if someone has some pointers, I’ve already created mel and Atmos that play fine on Shield 2019 and Oppo 👍🏼
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 am
Hi, is it possible to create file with fel and Atmos that will play on shield, even if that is only 10bit?
And will that file then play on Oppo 203?
Willing to try if someone has some pointers, I’ve already created mel and Atmos that play fine on Shield 2019 and Oppo
Hi, I assume you used my tool + tsMuxer. Am I wrong?
As for movies with a FEL Layer, @ragico, a few posts ago, reported a success with the movie of Black Panther (FEL - 3.41 Mb/s).

You should try and then report your experience here on the forum.
The procedure is identical to that used for a movie with a MEL Layer.
Use my tool (v0.0.3) and THIS version of tsMuxer posted by @ragico (replace "tsMuxer.exe" with the one you will download)

Since you own an OPPO 203, could you do me this favour: while playing a movie (my tool + tsMuxer, please try both a FEL and an MEL movie), can you press the "info" button and take a screenshot (both for the Multimedia information section and for the HDMI output information section)?
It is important, however, that in the player settings, Color Space and Color depth (Video Output Setup) are set to AUTO.
Help yourself with this video (19:24):
https://youtu.be/Pqg8Ky6T7vc?t=1164

Thank you

Post by 1000010 »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am
just tried your method with with MEL and FEL on Shield and it works like magic. Hats off to you sir. I can even do it on linux.

It makes me a bit confused though, I thought Shield does not support decoding of FEL, which means it should skip DV pipeline according to the diagram from one of your previous posts. Any idea what might be happening there? Is there any way I can check? going to take a look client logs later, I already deleted all my test files.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

1000010 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:22 am
yusesope wrote:
just tried your method with with MEL and FEL on Shield and it works like magic. Hats off to you sir. I can even do it on linux.

It makes me a bit confused though, I thought Shield does not support decoding of FEL, which means it should skip DV pipeline according to the diagram from one of your previous posts. Any idea what might be happening there? Is there any way I can check? going to take a look client logs later, I already deleted all my test files.
This is exactly what I have been wondering about lately. I would appreciate it if you could update your post later to see what's happening with the FEL. Thanks in advance!
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

1000010 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:22 am
yusesope wrote:

I think what I wrote: according to the official documents if the hardware is not able to handle a FEL stream (by instantiating a secondary HEVC decoder), it should fall back on HDR10/SDR.
The hardware of the new Shield is very performing, it is not unlikely that it is also able to manage FEL streams.

The confirmation can only come from you: my tool has been downloaded hundreds of times but few people have posted their feedback.

If it can help you (when you check the client logs), the Shield's hardware decoder is

Code: Select all

OMX.Nvidia.DOVI.decode
If @DaMacFunkin answers my previous question, it would also be interesting if he could compare the output video quality of the OPPO with that of the new Shield
Last edited by yusesope on Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Some further good reads on FEL vs MEL:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=94

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=119

Just taking a wild guess here, but if it’s true that the shield is only capable of supporting prof 4 MEL as mentioned by a user here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=86086#p86086, then maybe the shield is treating the FEL like an MEL during playback (i.e. discarding the extra video information and only reading the dynamic metadata). As yusecope mentioned, some comparisons between playback of FEL movies on the oppo (and x700?) vs shield would definitely help clear things up.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:35 pm
Some further good reads on FEL vs MEL:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=94

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=119

Just taking a wild guess here, but if it’s true that the shield is only capable of supporting prof 4 MEL as mentioned by a user here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=86086#p86086, then maybe the shield is treating the FEL like an MEL during playback (i.e. discarding the extra video information and only reading the dynamic metadata).
It is a behavior not reported in the official documentation
shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:35 pm
As yusecope mentioned, some comparisons between playback of FEL movies on the oppo (and x700?) vs shield would definitely help clear things up.
always remembering that the Shield adds "an extra touch of red" as we have seen by comparing a Netflix movie reproduced on the Shield and on the Sony X700 (HERE)!