Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:26 am
The 0.0.4 ALFA version of my program is out.
As always, I have updated my original post (at the bottom). HERE.

Two main changes:
  • the ability to manage raw streams extracted from REMUXed files (out there, into the wild) that in the past have retained the stream relating to the Enhancement Layer.
  • given the requests of different users, I have introduced the DEMUX function. Starting from a raw Single Track Double Layer HEVC file (BL_EL_RPU.hevc) it is possible to restore the Base Layer (BL.hevc) and the Enhancement Layer (EL_RPU.hevc)
People who are afraid of black screens with white writing (a.k.a command line), can use the handy "MUXER.bat" (the old "start_bl_el_rpu_builder.bat") and "DEMUXER.bat" files and follow the instructions on the screen.
The more practical ones can run the program with the "-h" switch and see the help output.

Considerations:
  • as for the first point, I recommend to always use the copy of your original disc. Technically speaking, REMUXed files may have lost important information during their creation. So a 1:1 copy of a BD disc may be different than a 1:1 copy of a REMUXed file. Take a look at the counters: if the total number of Access Units of BL Layer is different from that of EL Layer (the numbers you see in parentheses), it is likely that the file obtained does not work correctly (especially if the difference is greater than 1).

WARNING
    Out of curiosity, I tested my program using a REMUXed mkv (Birds of Prey) that can be found "into the wild".
    The first video stream is already a BL_EL_RPU stream (evidently they used the latest version of MakeMKV) and then they added a second video stream which is actually the Enhancement Layer.
    A mess...

If you mux (using my program) these anomalous video streams you will create a file with duplicate layers (because part of them were already present in the first stream which, strictly speaking, should be the Base Layer and not Base Layer + Enhancement Layer).

Pay attention to the REMUX (with two video streams) created after the release of the latest version of MakeMKV (v1.15.1).

The good news is that, if you notice it before making a mess, you can directly import the REMUX file into tsMuxer and tick only the box of the first video stream!
  • As for the second point, if you intend to use the DEMUX function starting from REMUXed files (even those created with the latest version of MakeMKV), in case you want to recreate a BL_EL_RPU.hevc file you MUST NECESSARILY use version 0.0.4 ALFA of my program. Previous versions (<= 0.0.3) will not be able to complete the analysis and writing cycle of the file.
  • It's an experimental version, there are likely to be errors in the code ( :mrgreen: ).
    If you provide me with relevant feedback, I will try to improve it!

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:46 am
unfortunately Yusesope's tool didn't helped for my setup, since it only makes dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU and dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU

what I need is dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU
My tool returns a RAW HEVC file.
If you don't like meat prepared by the cook, don't take it out on the supplier who sold him raw meat.
There is a reason (widely debated on the pages of this thread) why tsMuxer chose one profile and not another.
In your case, since you need a file with profile dvhe.05, I would simply force the application behavior by modifying the source code you find on Github. Just comment out the part of the code that decides the type of profile (the file is hevcStreamReader.cpp), insert two simple lines of code ("profile = 5;" the first and "compatibility = 0;" the second) and compile the app with the changes made.

The user @shawnc22 has done this in the past. He's kind and resourceful, maybe you could ask him if you're having trouble.

shroomM wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 am
It'd be interesting to "split" them into separate layers. Maybe see if we can use the RPU with x265's RPU option, though I don't know if that would even work.
What you are referring to are RPU metadata. If you want to know what's inside, @jcdr428 (one of tsMuxer's contributors) has lines of code suitable for this purpose: you could ask him if he wants to share his work.

At the moment, the algorithm that generates these metadata is unknown.
I believe that if you re-encode the various layers with x265 you must also modify the RPU parameters at the same time.
Without the algorithm that generates them, however, I don't think it can be done.
Thanks for the hard work as always, yusecope! A quick question about mode 2 when used with FEL titles. Is the data in the enhancement layer merged somehow into the base layer, or is it simply discarded? And regardless, if the resulting BL+RPU track is meant to be profile 5, is there also an IPT color space conversion being done? If not, then wouldn't it produce some color oddities during playback when forced to a profile 5 file in tsmuxer?
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:16 am
Thanks for the hard work as always, yusecope! A quick question about mode 2 when used with FEL titles. Is the data in the enhancement layer merged somehow into the base layer, or is it simply discarded? And regardless, if the resulting BL+RPU track is meant to be profile 5, is there also an IPT color space conversion being done? If not, then wouldn't it produce some color oddities during playback when forced to a profile 5 file in tsmuxer?

When "mode 2" is used to process FEL titles, the Enhancement Layer is completely removed.
The tool also does not perform any color space conversion.
As I said in the past (referring to the files obtained in "mode 2"):
yusesope wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:26 pm
...the Base Layer is non-standard (it has a different color space than the IPTPQc2/IPT one) as extracted from a Bluray disk.
It should appear better than an HDR stream (since metadata is dynamic and non-static) but will not reach its maximum splendor due to the lack of data contained in the EL layer.
The lack of this information, however, could lead, in some cases, to evident chromatic aberrations.
Not surprisingly, in my tool, "mode 1" is the default.
Owners of devices capable of playing only movies with dvhe.05 profile, however, would have had DVDFab as their only choice.
It seemed right to me to offer them a free alternative.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:59 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:16 am

When "mode 2" is used to process FEL titles, the Enhancement Layer is completely removed.
The tool also does not perform any color space conversion.
As I said in the past (referring to the files obtained in "mode 2"):
yusesope wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:26 pm
...the Base Layer is non-standard (it has a different color space than the IPTPQc2/IPT one) as extracted from a Bluray disk.
It should appear better than an HDR stream (since metadata is dynamic and non-static) but will not reach its maximum splendor due to the lack of data contained in the EL layer.
The lack of this information, however, could lead, in some cases, to evident chromatic aberrations.
Not surprisingly, in my tool, "mode 1" is the default.
Owners of devices capable of playing only movies with dvhe.05 profile, however, would have had DVDFab as their only choice.
It seemed right to me to offer them a free alternative.
Got it, thanks for the clarification! It seems to me that a FEL->MEL conversion, and maybe followed by a conversion to IPTPQc2/IPT color space if profile 5 is desired, is kind of the “holy grail” for maximizing compatibility across devices. I know the Shield has been playing FEL titles fine, but I’ve always wondered if it’s doing it correctly since only profile 4 MEL is supposedly supported. FEL->MEL does seem like a daunting task, but maybe not as impossible as it once looked according to mike here?
mike admin wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 pm
2. Dolby engineering is sort of "straightforward". For years(!!!) we have discussed what a complex job would be to convert DV streams and how million dollar software and NDA specs are required. Outcome? Converting from double-PID to single-PID is a matter of prefixing a single byte per packet. And with Dolby patents released in December 2019 we now know entire DV RPU structure - MakeMKV currently detects MEL and FEL streams, and to do so it parses 90% of RPU unit. It is not that hard. So, with current knowledge, even the "impossible" task of converting double-layer FEL to single-layer MEL looks quite doable - not as trivial as prefixing a byte, but not an impossible task either - decode EL layer, render data, encode coefficients back with MEL parameters, profit. Code complexity - like any codec, similar to decoding an ac3 frame.
And as for the IPTPQc2 conversion, I know the colorspace is a dolby proprietary one, but maybe the conversation here is of some help:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issue ... -613134501
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

A few (stupid?) questions:

dvhe.04.06 is to be understood as a Dolby Vision (dv) HEVC (he) 10 bit 4K 24fps (06) file, with a 1080p MEL or FEL (04) right?

And dvhe.06.06 should not exist according to https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... levels.pdf ?

But as i generate 04.06 files using both the makemkv->eac3to->tsmuxer and yusesope's tool in default mode, and both play fine on my Shield 2019, i must be doing everything right?

However i found some files from another source in dvhe.06.06 which plays equally fine, so i really shouldn't give a damn, and assume both are good as long as they play, but with slightly different metadata tagging?
VictorLemon

Post by VictorLemon »

Hello, a question to see who can help me, when the movie is in several m2ts, how can I extract the BL and EL files to mount with the tool?
a greeting
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

VictorLemon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:08 pm
Hello, a question to see who can help me, when the movie is in several m2ts, how can I extract the BL and EL files to mount with the tool?
a greeting
eac3to will do that.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Epedemic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 am
A few (stupid?) questions:

dvhe.04.06 is to be understood as a Dolby Vision (dv) HEVC (he) 10 bit 4K 24fps (06) file, with a 1080p MEL or FEL (04) right?

And dvhe.06.06 should not exist according to https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... levels.pdf ?

But as i generate 04.06 files using both the makemkv->eac3to->tsmuxer and yusesope's tool in default mode, and both play fine on my Shield 2019, i must be doing everything right?

However i found some files from another source in dvhe.06.06 which plays equally fine, so i really shouldn't give a damn, and assume both are good as long as they play, but with slightly different metadata tagging?
Profile 6 is a deprecated standard, so you're not going to find it in the latest dolby docs. The difference between 4 and 6 is in its backwards compatibility ID (SDR for 4 and HDR for 6). Purely specs-wise, the video tracks generated from yusecope's tool and makemkv should be either profile 6 or 7 since they are HDR10 compatible. But since most devices don't support profiles 6/7, they are forced to profile 4 in tsmuxer (either through an older version of tsmuxer or a modified nightly version). When playing back DV content on a supported device, the backwards compatibility ID doesn't matter, so it's not really a big deal to incorrectly label these files as 4 for the pure purpose of DV playback.

In terms of the Shield, yusecope has mentioned in the past that when exoplayer encounters an unsupported DV profile, it likely looks at the video stream and then chooses the best suitable supported profile to play the file. So for instance when it encounters a BL+EL+RPU track that's labeled profile 6 or 7, it will fallback to treating it as profile 4 and still play them just fine.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

So are you saying that if we play back one of the profile 4 videos on a non-DV device we won't even get HDR10?
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:58 pm
Profile 6 is a deprecated standard, so you're not going to find it in the latest dolby docs. The difference between 4 and 6 is in its backwards compatibility ID (SDR for 4 and HDR for 6). Purely specs-wise, the video tracks generated from yusecope's tool and makemkv should be either profile 6 or 7 since they are HDR10 compatible. But since most devices don't support profiles 6/7, they are forced to profile 4 in tsmuxer (either through an older version of tsmuxer or a modified nightly version). When playing back DV content on a supported device, the backwards compatibility ID doesn't matter, so it's not really a big deal to incorrectly label these files as 4 for the pure purpose of DV playback.

In terms of the Shield, yusecope has mentioned in the past that when exoplayer encounters an unsupported DV profile, it likely looks at the video stream and then chooses the best suitable supported profile to play the file. So for instance when it encounters a BL+EL+RPU track that's labeled profile 6 or 7, it will fallback to treating it as profile 4 and still play them just fine.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

olevelo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:15 pm
So are you saying that if we play back one of the profile 4 videos on a non-DV device we won't even get HDR10?
With a fully-compliant profile 4 video, no, I don't believe you will get even HDR10 on a non-DV device. Take the LG DV demo from here for example:

https://4kmedia.org/lg-dolby-comparison-uhd-4k-demo/

This file in mediainfo is listed as:

Code: Select all

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU
whereas the profile 4/6 files we have been generating is labeled as:

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.04.06, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
On my Xbox one X, the LG demo doesn't even trigger HDR, but the other files will. This then brings up the question whether devices are really looking at just the profile to determine playback capabilities or at the actual content of the video stream. This I honestly have no idea and could simply be a device-to-device question.
VictorLemon

Post by VictorLemon »

I extract the BL and EL files through eac3to, the movie is Despicable Me (2010), to extract charge in eac3to the main mpls, since the movie is in several m2ts, it generates the BL and EL, I use the yusesope tool in its latest version and when the process is at 99.9% it gives me the following error.

Greetings
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

VictorLemon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:25 pm
I extract the BL and EL files through eac3to, the movie is Despicable Me (2010), to extract charge in eac3to the main mpls, since the movie is in several m2ts, it generates the BL and EL, I use the yusesope tool in its latest version and when the process is at 99.9% it gives me the following error.

Greetings
Don't worry, the file you got is complete (only one byte is missing).
The error is due to your input file: it is not complete at the end.

I will correct this in the future.
VictorLemon

Post by VictorLemon »

yusesope wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 pm
VictorLemon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Greetings
Don't worry, the file you got is complete (only one byte is missing).
The error is due to your input file: it is not complete at the end.

I will correct this in the future.
Thanks
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:20 pm
Got it, thanks for the clarification! It seems to me that a FEL->MEL conversion, and maybe followed by a conversion to IPTPQc2/IPT color space if profile 5 is desired, is kind of the “holy grail” for maximizing compatibility across devices. I know the Shield has been playing FEL titles fine, but I’ve always wondered if it’s doing it correctly since only profile 4 MEL is supposedly supported. FEL->MEL does seem like a daunting task, but maybe not as impossible as it once looked according to mike here?
the problem is not the conversion of the color space.
The problem is understanding how to generate new RPU metadata without distorting the color correction/grading work done in post production and the entire vision of the director.
With what we've discovered, you could take a video shot on your cell phone and insert random RPU metadata.
The video would be reproduced by activating Dolby Vision but the colors would be completely wrong!

VictorLemon wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:50 pm
Thanks
You are welcome
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

MastaG wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:05 pm
For Dolby Vision + Atmos:

Here's my success story for Gemini Man 2019 which is a 60fps movie which plays much more fluent.
I'm using Fedora 31 Linux but I've also posted windows links

Tools:
- ffmpeg - compiled from latest git (Windows build: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/)
- yusesope - tool V3: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 335#p85413
- eac3to portable version with wine - https://www.videohelp.com/software/eac3to
- tsmuxer modified for DV by a5180007/justdan96 - compiled from his github https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer (Windows build: https://bintray.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/t ... UI-Nightly) (Original forum thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176668&page=31)
Use the latest nightly tsMuxerGUI from this link, it's more recent compared the one posted a few pages back! and a5180007 also added support for eac3 dolby digital plus! (only 5.1)

First I demux the original bluray (will only work if I compile the latest FFMpeg git from source):

ffmpeg -i bluray:/path/to/my/bluray -map 0:0 -c copy ./BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy ./EL.hevc -map 0:2 -c:a copy -strict -2 ./atmos.mp4
Now I have:
BL.hevc - Base Layer
EL.hevc - Enhanced Layer
atmos.mp4 - Dolby TrueHD Atmos audio

Now I use yusescope V3 tool to create a single layer DV file:

python src/bl_el_rpu_builder.py -bl ./BL.hevc -el ./EL.hevc -of gemini_dv.hevc -mode 1
Now I also have:
gemini_dv.hevc - Full movie Single Layer DV

Now I use eac3to Gui to convert the atmos.mp4 to a compatible truehd+ac3 track for use with TSMuxeR:

wine UsEac3To.exe
- Click Input File and select atmos.mp4
- Under Track Input and Output format change "ac3" to "thd+ac3" then click Add
- In the bottom click RUN CL and wait
When finished you will have a "atmos.mp4_.thd+ac3" file, rename this to "atmos.ac3"

Now launch justdan96's version of TsMuxerGUI then add your movie file: "gemini_dv.hevc" and audio file: "atmos.ac3".
So I have tried this method for Gemini man and Sonic 2019 and both of them freeze every 2 seconds during playback. My tv is lg oled c9. The files were stored in an external hdd connected to the tv via usb. All other souble layered dolby vision mp4 files created using the original method in the first post of this thread play fine. Maybe my tv can't properly play .ts file/single layered dolby vision file?