Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

kazuma wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:29 am
since yesterday i'm using the M9702 player. The DV PQ is far better in 4K iso, comparing to the profile 7 mp4's. i'm curious what the reason is? are we getting fake DV with mp4? or is the PQ of the box so good?
untouched ISO (or bluray disc) is the same as dual layer profile 7 mp4 (or TS). I've made a comparison a while ago with my Sony x700 and my C8 internal player, it's identical: no difference at all.
see: https://slow.pics/c/feEmrLAZ
stephon1024

Post by stephon1024 »

PapitaHD wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:59 am
stephon1024 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:28 am
PapitaHD wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:15 am

I've experimented a lot, re-encoding the BL layer with staxrip/x265 and 0.0.4alfa always merged it with EL without any problem. Also I have an m9702 so I can just mux the re-encoded BL and EL into full UHD BDVM structure (with tsMuxeR) and DV works. I spent hours by testing the results (re-encoded BL+EL), comparing them scene by scene to the HDR10 base layer and also to the full untouched UHD BluRay on my LG C8 Oled and I really beleive this method works perfectly. I've never noticed any difference between the files with re-encoded BL and the full UHD BluRays, but the differences were pretty significant comparing them to the untouched HDR10-base layer. I used the following movies for my tests: Aquaman, The Meg, Fantastic Beasts 2, Midway, Game of Thrones S08E03.
Using the right x265 settings, only the bitrate will be lower but everything else (including the HDR10 metadata) will be the same as in the original BL so I don't see why wouldn't it work.
PapitaHD - appreciate the feedback. I'm going to grab staxrip and see what I can do. Anything I should know about what x265 settings to use when doing this?

Thanks,
You should always use crf, and also check the following settings in the x265 options menu of staxrip:
Vui page: HDR10 - yes; Block-level luma and chroma QP optimization for HDR10 content - check this box
Slice Decision page: Open gop - uncheck (no open-GOP); min GOP size 1, Max GOP size 24
Hey Papita, thanks so much for the help. I'm encoding with these settings right now.

I'll report back when it's done and let you know. Out of curiosity, did you even touch the EL layer? I'm hoping this works by simply compressing the BL layer...

The nice thing is that TS muxer should then be able to take the BL+EL+RPU and mux it into a 04.06 TS file. That's what I did before with the uncompressed bluray layers and it "worked" on my C9... but again like I said, my C9's SOC can't handle full UHDs and that makes sense... it's not a 4K UHD bluray player... It's at best designed to playback highly compressed streams. So i'm hoping simply compressing these will fix the issue.

Again, thanks for the help! Looking forward to getting this DV rips working without a UHD bluray player!

When I'm done with this... I'm going to post a big post with my full workflow from the actual disk backup using makemkv to the final output that plays back using a USB disk on my LG C9. Hopefully that helps everyone on this forum. Appreciate all the great feedback, what an awesome community!!!!
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

stephon1024 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 pm
PapitaHD wrote:
stephon1024 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:28 am

PapitaHD - appreciate the feedback. I'm going to grab staxrip and see what I can do. Anything I should know about what x265 settings to use when doing this?

Thanks,
You should always use crf, and also check the following settings in the x265 options menu of staxrip:
Vui page: HDR10 - yes; Block-level luma and chroma QP optimization for HDR10 content - check this box
Slice Decision page: Open gop - uncheck (no open-GOP); min GOP size 1, Max GOP size 24
Hey Papita, thanks so much for the help. I'm encoding with these settings right now.

I'll report back when it's done and let you know. Out of curiosity, did you even touch the EL layer? I'm hoping this works by simply compressing the BL layer...

The nice thing is that TS muxer should then be able to take the BL+EL+RPU and mux it into a 04.06 TS file. That's what I did before with the uncompressed bluray layers and it "worked" on my C9... but again like I said, my C9's SOC can't handle full UHDs and that makes sense... it's not a 4K UHD bluray player... It's at best designed to playback highly compressed streams. So i'm hoping simply compressing these will fix the issue.

Again, thanks for the help! Looking forward to getting this DV rips working without a UHD bluray player!

When I'm done with this... I'm going to post a big post with my full workflow from the actual disk backup using makemkv to the final output that plays back using a USB disk on my LG C9. Hopefully that helps everyone on this forum. Appreciate all the great feedback, what an awesome community!!!!
People have always had mixed results with DV TS file playback on the LG internal player. With full rips, some have worked flawlessly and some will stutter to no end. I've always suggested that if the LG internal player is your only playback device, leave tsmuxer alone and stick to the old mp4muxer method. TSMuxer's main advantage is the ability to mux in both dolby vision and truehd dolby atmos audio tracks. If you're using the TV for playback, the atmos audio track does nothing for you. Have you tried muxing a downsampled BL with the original EL using mp4muxer?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:37 pm
have you tried muxing a downsampled BL with the original EL using mp4muxer?
I did try that and it works perfectly fine on all my devices. As long as you dont crop.

Settings I used:

Code: Select all

wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=3840x2160 / interlace=0 / total-frames=175243 / level-idc=51 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=5 / no-allow-non-conformance / repeat-headers / annexb / aud / hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / no-open-gop / min-keyint=24 / keyint=240 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / hist-scenecut=0 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / no-strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=-2:-2 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / selective-sao=0 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=15.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / vbv-maxrate=160000 / vbv-bufsize=160000 / vbv-init=0.9 / crf-max=0.0 / crf-min=0.0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=2 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=0 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=1 / chromaloc-top=2 / chromaloc-bottom=2 / display-window=0 / master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(40000000,50) / cll=992,120 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / hist-threshold=0.01 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / hdr / hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / no-scenecut-aware-qp
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Thu May 28, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

edit
Last edited by kazuma on Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
stephon1024

Post by stephon1024 »

shawnc22 wrote:
stephon1024 wrote:
PapitaHD wrote:

People have always had mixed results with DV TS file playback on the LG internal player. With full rips, some have worked flawlessly and some will stutter to no end. I've always suggested that if the LG internal player is your only playback device, leave tsmuxer alone and stick to the old mp4muxer method. TSMuxer's main advantage is the ability to mux in both dolby vision and truehd dolby atmos audio tracks. If you're using the TV for playback, the atmos audio track does nothing for you. Have you tried muxing a downsampled BL with the original EL using mp4muxer?
Hey Shawn,

Appreciate the comment.

Yeah i tried the MP4 method and no dice there either. As I stated in a previous post, I can get a "playable" file using the mp4muxer method just like the TSmuxer method - they just stutter like crazy. Since I got the same result using multiple methods I'm starting to think it's a bottleneck with the C9's SOC (system on chip) at the extremely high bitrate the raw BL+EL+RPU file (created using Yusesope's tool) has with no treatment off the disc. It's meant for streaming content from Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ (which has Dolby Vision!) that is compressed (internet... obvi!). It's not a 4K UHD player designed to handle extremely high bitrate multi-layer multi-stream content.

I don't believe it's a compatibility issue as much as a total bitrate issue, but I'll know soon enough. And the TrueHD does matter to me as I'll be running this through a receiver in the future with support for lossless audio, but honestly - TS muxer is just easy to use and LG TV's support TS video format (so does Plex) so I really don't care about the container. I'm mostly concerned with getting a compressed BL layer to merge properly with an EL layer using Yusesope's tool. I think that's my key. Then with a significantly smaller BL+EL+RPU I can either use TSmuxer or mp4muxer to create the final output - at that point it doesn't really matter.

Once I have that... I think I'll be golden.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

dontknowjack wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:19 pm
So guys is MakeMKV preserving DV metadata/tracks/etc when remuxing into the mkvs? I want to be sure as I want a 1:1 copy of the movie (not the whole blu-ray) on my computer, I don't care if there is playing support or not, I just want all the data from the m2ts file in the mkv, is that possible/is that what currently MakeMKV is doing?
Sorry if this is a dumb question but there are 160 pages on this topic.
For version 1.15.1 yes, BUT, the folks who oversee the mkv standard are working on ironing out the new standard, which is a bit different than what Mike did for this. Hopefully they'll finalize that soon, and then MakeMKV will be updated with the correct format. But it's unknown whether existing mkv's can just be converted in place, or if you'll have to rip from disc/full backup again. I've put a pause on re-ripping the disc's I had already ripped with an older non-DV version until its sorted out.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

kazuma wrote:
since yesterday i'm using the M9702 player. The DV PQ is far better in 4K iso, comparing to the profile 7 mp4's. i'm curious what the reason is? are we getting fake DV with mp4? or is the PQ of the box so good?
Uh oh...

Could you show some comparison?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

stephon1024 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:10 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
stephon1024 wrote:

Hey Shawn,

Appreciate the comment.

Yeah i tried the MP4 method and no dice there either. As I stated in a previous post, I can get a "playable" file using the mp4muxer method just like the TSmuxer method - they just stutter like crazy. Since I got the same result using multiple methods I'm starting to think it's a bottleneck with the C9's SOC (system on chip) at the extremely high bitrate the raw BL+EL+RPU file (created using Yusesope's tool) has with no treatment off the disc. It's meant for streaming content from Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ (which has Dolby Vision!) that is compressed (internet... obvi!). It's not a 4K UHD player designed to handle extremely high bitrate multi-layer multi-stream content.

I don't believe it's a compatibility issue as much as a total bitrate issue, but I'll know soon enough. And the TrueHD does matter to me as I'll be running this through a receiver in the future with support for lossless audio, but honestly - TS muxer is just easy to use and LG TV's support TS video format (so does Plex) so I really don't care about the container. I'm mostly concerned with getting a compressed BL layer to merge properly with an EL layer using Yusesope's tool. I think that's my key. Then with a significantly smaller BL+EL+RPU I can either use TSmuxer or mp4muxer to create the final output - at that point it doesn't really matter.

Did you use mp4muxer with the untouched BL and EL layers and not the result of yusecope's tool? Also it has to be an older version of mp4muxer (mp4muxer64.exe) and not the latest one from github. With that, you shouldn't have any issues with an mp4. Whenever you do get a receiver, be sure to get it along with a dedicated streamer as well since the LGs at the moment is not able to passthrough lossless atmos, even with e-ARC.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

stephon1024 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:10 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
stephon1024 wrote:

Hey Shawn,

Appreciate the comment.

stephon1024,

I've uploaded some new samples for you to try. They are profile 4. Please try the first 2 files. One is a MP4 and the other is a TS.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 505#p90663
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dontknowjack

Post by dontknowjack »

olevelo wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:55 pm
dontknowjack wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:19 pm
So guys is MakeMKV preserving DV metadata/tracks/etc when remuxing into the mkvs? I want to be sure as I want a 1:1 copy of the movie (not the whole blu-ray) on my computer, I don't care if there is playing support or not, I just want all the data from the m2ts file in the mkv, is that possible/is that what currently MakeMKV is doing?
Sorry if this is a dumb question but there are 160 pages on this topic.
For version 1.15.1 yes, BUT, the folks who oversee the mkv standard are working on ironing out the new standard, which is a bit different than what Mike did for this. Hopefully they'll finalize that soon, and then MakeMKV will be updated with the correct format. But it's unknown whether existing mkv's can just be converted in place, or if you'll have to rip from disc/full backup again. I've put a pause on re-ripping the disc's I had already ripped with an older non-DV version until its sorted out.
Oh, thanks for the info, this is good to know. I think I will be doing the same until matroska adds support for DV, hopefully they finish it soon.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

deadchip12 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:19 am
kazuma wrote:
Uh oh...

You can't expierence that on photo or video. As i said. Maybe it's the quality of the oppo 203 player.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

kazuma wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 am
deadchip12 wrote:
kazuma wrote:
Uh oh...

You can't expierence that on photo or video. As i said. Maybe it's the quality of the oppo 203 player.
Which device did you use to play the profile 7 mp4 file?
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

deadchip12 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:53 am
kazuma wrote:
deadchip12 wrote:

Uh oh...

LG C9
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

kazuma wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:00 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:53 am
kazuma wrote:

LG C9
The internal player? I have played 4k hdr files using my c9's internal player and using my pc with PowerDVD 20. The image quality using the internal player is at least as good as when using my pc, which is pretty powerful. The powerdvd software is no slouch either I guess. I'm not sure what kind of magic the oppo device pulls to make the image quality drastically better. Maybe you can try describing the differences you see?