Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
sonysg

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sonysg »

flashback8 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:07 pm
sonysg wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:32 am
sonysg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:23 am
Dear all,

I'm using OPPO 205 and Sony X950G

I have a problem when playing Dolby Vision disc or MP4 muxed Dolby Vision files

How could we enforced film to full screen(No Black bar) when play back DV contains? It said this operation is not permitted when I pressed "Zoom" on the Oppo's remote

I could do full screen easily on HDR10 but not in Dolby Vision format, only Full screen Dolby Vision contain could (i.e BumbleBee, Transformer 4) :( I wish I could to do that for every Dolby Vision titles to enhance the movie viewing experience

How to we bypass this restriction? it could because of the metadata of second layer(1920*1080) of Dolby Vision contains prevent this to be happened, because muxing Dolby Vision using MP4 container is possible now, I would like to save hard disk space and get rid of black bar whenever possible, Does MakeMKV allow or maximise the full screen properties when muxing in MP4 format?

Looking forward for your suggestion
I'm sorry to bumped up this question but no one seem to be giving me an overall idea on this
Is this restriction on the player itself or the DV authoring prevent the "Zoom" happening but its possible still on HDR10 contains
It's due to the processing chips being underpowered (or so Oppo claimed long ago). The 203/205 replacements presumably would've addressed that flaw, and others.
Do you have news or link for that claimed its underpowered? Oppo already stop the production of 203/205 unlikely they would fix this issue on these model, too bad not much UHD Bluray player out there now :(
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

can one do it on any other dolby vision bluray player? if not, I'd make a guess that its a dolby restriction, not allowing dolby vision content to be viewed in manners that they dislike
box4m

Post by box4m »

flashback8 wrote:
sonysg wrote:
sonysg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:23 am
Dear all,

I'm using OPPO 205 and Sony X950G

I have a problem when playing Dolby Vision disc or MP4 muxed Dolby Vision files

How could we enforced film to full screen(No Black bar) when play back DV contains? It said this operation is not permitted when I pressed "Zoom" on the Oppo's remote

I could do full screen easily on HDR10 but not in Dolby Vision format, only Full screen Dolby Vision contain could (i.e BumbleBee, Transformer 4) :( I wish I could to do that for every Dolby Vision titles to enhance the movie viewing experience

How to we bypass this restriction? it could because of the metadata of second layer(1920*1080) of Dolby Vision contains prevent this to be happened, because muxing Dolby Vision using MP4 container is possible now, I would like to save hard disk space and get rid of black bar whenever possible, Does MakeMKV allow or maximise the full screen properties when muxing in MP4 format?

Looking forward for your suggestion
I'm sorry to bumped up this question but no one seem to be giving me an overall idea on this
Is this restriction on the player itself or the DV authoring prevent the "Zoom" happening but its possible still on HDR10 contains
It's due to the processing chips being underpowered (or so Oppo claimed long ago). The 203/205 replacements presumably would've addressed that flaw, and others.
This is interesting, what replacements do u mean btw?
GabryLiv

Post by GabryLiv »

Hello
Can you explain how the mel or fel files are recognized?
what is the procedure to insert the dolby vision into the mp4?
Demux the hevc file and the audio with tsmuxer
After how do we proceed?
Thanks
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

sonysg wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:14 pm
flashback8 wrote:
sonysg wrote:

Do you have news or link for that claimed its underpowered? Oppo already stop the production of 203/205 unlikely they would fix this issue on these model, too bad not much UHD Bluray player out there now :(
It's buried somewhere in the Oppo-203/205 thread on the blu-ray.com forum. They talked about it sometime in 2018, I think.
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

box4m wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:29 pm
flashback8 wrote:
sonysg wrote:

This is interesting, what replacements do u mean btw?
Oppo would've come out with a newer player at some point. One of their execs is an A/V nut and pushed real hard for quality players. Alas, phones were too profitable, so Oppo ended up disbanding the A/V division (or greatly reducing it, perhaps) so that there would be more time and factory space dedicated to phones.
sonysg

Post by sonysg »

if anyone know a UHD Player that could do full zoom of Dolby Vision please let us know the model
Likely there would not be any player so far what I heard but still hoping its not restriction from Dolby Lab that prevent full screen to be happen :|
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

jlpsvk wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:33 am
so... I achieved this... with the help of mp4box :) i think, would be good enough. :)

1) demux with tsMuxer...
2) encode BL
3) mux BL_encode.hevc with EL.hevc with yousesope's tools with mode 2 to BL+RPU
4) mux only video to mp4 with mp4muxer 1.0.1
5) add audio, subs, chapters to MP4 with mp4box
So I followed these steps, and changed it a little, here are the results.

Demuxed the file
muxed the BL & EL using yousesope w/ mode 2
muxed the BL+RPU with all the other assets (subs and all the other audio) to .TS (using the tsMuxer nightly that you linked... thank you btw)

Here's what I found:

- My Apple TV 4K plays the file as Dolby Vision via Infuse. The Atmos track plays as 7.1 which is fine (as the Apple TV can't play Atmos from Infuse from the disc's audio file anyway).
- My nVidia Shield 2017 plays the file as HDR10 (plays fine) and Atmos plays back perfectly.
- All subs work.

So .... it looks like I got it right. Getting my hands on a new 2019 Shield Pro at some point. In THEORY this resulting .TS file should play both the Dolby Vision & Atmos ...

Am I getting this right?

I don't care if the container is MP4, MKV or TS .. for Dolby Vision titles they will get their own folder anyway given the way I organize... but this SHOULD be ok no?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

djbuddha wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:27 pm
jlpsvk wrote:
so... I achieved this... with the help of mp4box :) i think, would be good enough. :)

1) demux with tsMuxer...
2) encode BL

Demuxed the file
muxed the BL+RPU with all the other assets (subs and all the other audio) to .TS (using the tsMuxer nightly that you linked... thank you btw)

Here's what I found:

- My Apple TV 4K plays the file as Dolby Vision via Infuse. The Atmos track plays as 7.1 which is fine (as the Apple TV can't play Atmos from Infuse from the disc's audio file anyway).
- My nVidia Shield 2017 plays the file as HDR10 (plays fine) and Atmos plays back perfectly.
- All subs work.

So .... it looks like I got it right. Getting my hands on a new 2019 Shield Pro at some point. In THEORY this resulting .TS file should play both the Dolby Vision & Atmos ...

Am I getting this right?

I don't care if the container is MP4, MKV or TS .. for Dolby Vision titles they will get their own folder anyway given the way I organize... but this SHOULD be ok no?
When you get a 2019 Shield pro, hopefully the DV standard for MKV is set in place by then, and you can just go directly from disk to mkv with makemkv and be done. If not, the files you have already created will play fine, but they are missing the EL, so titles that have a full enhancement layer might not be shown in the way they were intended to.
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:15 pm
djbuddha wrote:
jlpsvk wrote:

1) demux with tsMuxer...
2) encode BL

Demuxed the file

Here's what I found:

- All subs work.

Am I getting this right?

When you get a 2019 Shield pro, hopefully the DV standard for MKV is set in place by then, and you can just go directly from disk to mkv with makemkv and be done. If not, the files you have already created will play fine, but they are missing the EL, so titles that have a full enhancement layer might not be shown in the way they were intended to.
Wait, doesn't yousesope's script put the layer in the newly exported hevc file before remuxing it to TS?
djbuddha

Post by djbuddha »

djbuddha wrote:
jlpsvk wrote:

1) demux with tsMuxer...
2) encode BL

Demuxed the file

Here's what I found:

- All subs work.

Am I getting this right?

Update, I tried this process using a Dolby Vision / Atmos demo disc & earlier with The Matrix Reloaded and ran into an issue of sorts.

Dolby Disc: If I try to mux the TrueHD 4974 kbps track (AC3 core + TrueHD 640 kbps) @ 48 kHz track from the Dolby disc, that track is completely unplayable

The Matrix Reloaded: If I mux the TrueHD 7794 kbps track (AC3 core + TrueHD 448 kbps) @ 48 kHz track from the Matrix Reloaded disc, that track plays perfectly.

Is the core track being that high of a bitrate really causing the issue? (the 448 works, the 640 doesn't)

If I try to play a 2 minute clip at 640 it stutters like crazy.
If I play the entire Matrix Reloaded movie at 448 kbps it plays perfectly.

Same results with both the Apple TV 4K & the 2017 nVidia Shield

Anybody got any ideas? The Dolby Vision comes through but is useless as the audio is going crazy on the Dolby disc with the 640 kbps ACE core + True HD track.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

djbuddha wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:04 am
Wait, doesn't yousesope's script put the layer in the newly exported hevc file before remuxing it to TS?
When you use yusecope's tool in mode 2, it discards the enhancement layer (EL)-resulting in a BL+RPU file. You have to do this for playback on the AppleTV because there is no dual layer support. The Shield does support dual-layer (BL+EL+RPU), so you're free to use yusecope's tool in its default mode.
PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

Hi all, I've been doing some quite thorough testing with Gemini Man 60fps-DV, so I thought some of you would might be interested in the result, here they are:

I encoded the BL with x265, using mostly slow preset and crf17 and I used the encoded file as BL for all my tests.

The attempts that didn't work at all: yusesope's tool v0.0.4 default mode, muxed with DV profile 4 and 6 both with tsMuxer and mp4muxer. All of these files seemed to be good in mediainfo but non of them was playable neither on my LG C8 nor M9702.

I made a profile 7 (dvhe.07.09) dual layer version with mp4muxer and it played perfectly on M9702 but on LG C8 it always froze after about 10 minutes. When it froze I was always able to cancel and then it started from the point where it stopped, I was also able to seek, and it played smoothly without any lags but after 10 minutes it always froze no matter what point I was watching it from.

Then I used mode 2 of yusesope's tool to make a BL+RPU hevc file and muxed it with tsMuxeR to get profile 5 (dvhe.05.09) DV in .TS container. Guess what, it plays perfectly on my C8. I watched the whole movie and there weren't any kind of lags or artifacts. I used TrueHD Atmos and also 2 other DD tracks.
If any of you would like to play it on an LG TV, this is the way to do it.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

PapitaHD wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:22 pm
Hi all, I've been doing some quite thorough testing with Gemini Man 60fps-DV, so I thought some of you would might be interested in the result, here they are:

I encoded the BL with x265, using mostly slow preset and crf17 and I used the encoded file as BL for all my tests.

The attempts that didn't work at all: yusesope's tool v0.0.4 default mode, muxed with DV profile 4 and 6 both with tsMuxer and mp4muxer. All of these files seemed to be good in mediainfo but non of them was playable neither on my LG C8 nor M9702.

I made a profile 7 (dvhe.07.09) dual layer version with mp4muxer and it played perfectly on M9702 but on LG C8 it always froze after about 10 minutes. When it froze I was always able to cancel and then it started from the point where it stopped, I was also able to seek, and it played smoothly without any lags but after 10 minutes it always froze no matter what point I was watching it from.

Then I used mode 2 of yusesope's tool to make a BL+RPU hevc file and muxed it with tsMuxeR to get profile 5 (dvhe.05.09) DV in .TS container. Guess what, it plays perfectly on my C8. I watched the whole movie and there weren't any kind of lags or artifacts. I used TrueHD Atmos and also 2 other DD tracks.
If any of you would like to play it on an LG TV, this is the way to do it.
It makes sense if the original issue is that the LG is unable to process the EL due to maybe processing power. Using mode 2 strips away the EL entirely, so it's probably less demanding to play. The tradeoff is that since Gemini Man has an FEL, the resulting picture may not be entirely accurate when the EL is stripped away.
box4m

Post by box4m »

Did anyone get profile 4/6 to play in MXPlayer on 2019 Shield?