Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
iamTa

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by iamTa »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:27 pm
No, it's a hardware limitation, not a software one. LG OLEDs cannot process truehd audio, regardless of the app. If you try to use Plex at least, it will try to transcode. If you have to play files off of your TV, stick with mp4.
Just tested this using Xplay and you're absolutely right. The last time I used these LG app store apps I didn't have my 5.1.4 setup and wrongly assumed they would be able to bitstream HD audio.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

PapitaHD wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm
I've created a few mkv's with the method yusesope described (converting to MEL with method2, creating ISO with tsMuxeR then remux it with MakeMKV), so others can test them, unfortunately I don't own a device which would be able to play DV-mkv.
Saving Private Ryan is among them, would be interesting to see whether it flickers in an mkv container too or not.
Gladiator & Kick-Ass: https://we.tl/t-eDu4zjnQj0
Apocalypse Now: https://we.tl/t-SJaD5a4ExL
Transformers 4: https://we.tl/t-z6Oos2hHxy
Saving Private Ryan: https://we.tl/t-IgV2cbcSuY

I checked all of them and only Saving Private Ryan flickers.
You tried Zidoo z9x and it works perfectly. m
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:51 pm
yusesope wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:12 am
During decoding, the image generated by the data present in EL represents a residue (difference) of the original video content compared to the image obtained by processing the data present in BL.
EL is a 10-bit video bitstream that carries the residual between the mezzanine source and the base layer and the dynamic metadata for Dolby Vision.
By modifying the RPU the idea is to tell the decoder that the residual signal is equal to zero and that it should not bother to "read" the content.
The rest of the information, both static (eg, MaxFALL and MaxCLL) and dynamic (eg, min, max and avg luminance of each shot) remain unchanged.
By giving up the process of decoding the data in EL, I think it is normal that it is no longer possible to generate the 12bit signal as it was mastered by the creators (using monitors up to 10000 nits).
Keep also in mind that current consumer displays rarely exceed 2000 nits (LCD). OLEDs peak at 600-700 nits, and few home projectors are lucky enough to hit 150 nits. When the signal exceeds the capability of the TV, tone mapping is activated by reducing the luminance as the signal approaches the clipping point of the display (following a Perceptual Quantizer (PQ) curve, remaps luminance from the source values to the lower values the display can support)
Appreciate the explanation as always. From that snippet of the dolby docs again (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9_hnb9XkAEIsF5.png) and if I'm reading it correctly, it seems like when some content is mastered on a 4000-nit display, the creator has a choice of either using FEL (1000-nit base layer + differential data in the EL to reconstruct the original 12bit signal) or MEL (4000-nit base layer + metadata only and accept the information lost of not being able to rebuild the 12bit signal). I guess what I'm wondering is if it may eventually be possible to use the differential data in the FEL's EL to build that high luminance base layer and pretend that the creator had chosen to go the MEL route in the first place. Agreed that it's probably not a big deal with the limitations of today's displays, but just curious nonetheless :).
iamTa wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:01 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:10 pm
Does this have any benefit versus the original method in the first page if I own a c9 oled tv? Sorry haven't followed this thread for a while.
Yes, HD audio.

If you're playing off of the C9's internal player, then no. The C9 cannot playback truehd audio tracks and it also cannot play mkvs.
So when I try to play this file via external hdd connected to the c9, it won't play at all? Or just the pictures will appear and the audio is muted? If it is the latter, I think this method still benefits me in a way. I won't have to keep both the dolby vision mp4 file with no atmos track and the mkv hdr10 file with atmos track; instead I will just keep this dolby vision mkv file with atmos track.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

yusesope wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:09 pm
Basically you are asking for a DoVi software decoder :D ...
There would no longer be a need for a hardware decoder (and relative license).
Any device (powerful enough) could play DV content.
I'm sorry, I don't think I'm capable of it :mrgreen:
:lol: one can hope
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:24 am
So when I try to play this file via external hdd connected to the c9, it won't play at all? Or just the pictures will appear and the audio is muted? If it is the latter, I think this method still benefits me in a way. I won't have to keep both the dolby vision mp4 file with no atmos track and the mkv hdr10 file with atmos track; instead I will just keep this dolby vision mkv file with atmos track.
The TV will not recognize the mkv as a playable file.
userr

Post by userr »

Tomas wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:14 pm
The Zidoo z9x plays more then profile5 without EL?
whiplash1

Post by whiplash1 »

iamTa wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 am
Tomas wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:39 pm
Everything played perfectly. May I ask how did you convert from FEL to MEL?
thank you very much
So these are the steps I take to convert FEL to MEL and remux with TrueHD/Atmos into an MKV:
  • Extract hevc streams with ffmpeg: ffmpeg.exe -i X:\BDMV\STREAM\XXXXX.m2ts -map 0:0 -c copy X:\BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy X:\EL.hevc
  • Feed both hevc files from step 1 into MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_MEL.bat
  • Feed single hevc file from step 2 into DEMUX.bat
  • Use latest tsMuxeR nightly, add both hevc files from step 3 into input along with X:\BDMV\STREAM\XXXXX.m2ts from step 1, remove duplicate video tracks and output to ISO
  • Use MakeMKV to convert ISO to MKV
These MKVs can then be played back using the modded ExoPlayer and potentially the latest Emby beta (I've not tested Emby).

I've converted and tested a few full length movies and the above method works flawlessly.

Thank you yusesope for all your hard work.
Fantastic. Quick question though. If I play any FEL->MEL mkv made using this workflow, directly in Kodi without exoplayer, will it fall back to HDR10?
Also how to retain pgs subtitles using this workflow?
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:03 am
yusesope wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:09 pm
Basically you are asking for a DoVi software decoder :D ...
There would no longer be a need for a hardware decoder (and relative license).
Any device (powerful enough) could play DV content.
I'm sorry, I don't think I'm capable of it :mrgreen:
:lol: one can hope
deadchip12 wrote:
The TV will not recognize the mkv as a playable file.
Dang it! Back to the original method then. Thanks for answering.

Yeah a dovi software decoder would be nice. Dolby should release their own media player software. They already got it under the form of the media player inside their dolby app on pc. I'm willing to pay for a full fledged version that supports dolby vision and dolby atmos decoding for headphone in windows.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

mirror88 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:20 am
Thank you for your great works. If you like, I can provide a zidoo z9x media player for your test. It does not require a special version of exoplayer to be installed. DV Mel MKV files can be played directly.
Hi Mirror, i already have the Z9X, if you can fix the problems with LG OLED then I will be able to test FEL to MEL and also do Color space comparisons against true Dolby Vision profile 7 players.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

userr wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:02 am
Tomas wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:14 pm
The Zidoo z9x plays more then profile5 without EL?
All the samples played for me. If you want to try something is not a problem.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Tomas wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:43 pm
Can I ask for the ffmpeg download link?
https://ffmpeg.org/download.html
https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/
[/quote]

Please don't know why I can't run ffmpeg?
ahmadss

Post by ahmadss »

Hi

guys can kodi play dolby vision ?
not through plex addon
iamTa

Post by iamTa »

deadchip12 wrote:
If you are able to use Plex or Emby the applicable LG app store apps are able to play MKV files and will fall back to AC3 Core.
whiplash1 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:40 am
Fantastic. Quick question though. If I play any FEL->MEL mkv made using this workflow, directly in Kodi without exoplayer, will it fall back to HDR10?
Also how to retain pgs subtitles using this workflow?
Yes it will fall back to HDR10 and you can retain all the PGS subtitles in step 4 when you re-add the original m2ts to tsMuxeR.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

Do we know yet if the z9x has the same color issue as the shield? What about the fire tv (stick)?
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

PlatypusW wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:52 am
Do we know yet if the z9x has the same color issue as the shield? What about the fire tv (stick)?
Nvidia fixed the color issue in the last fw (removed the wrong BT.2020 flag).
On Zidoo, still present: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads ... ost-130978
The Fire TV has no color issues.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

NiCE77 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Nvidia fixed the color issue in the last fw (removed the wrong BT.2020 flag).
"Red push" or rather "red blocks" problem still exists
BT2020 flag is different issue

MI:Fallout bath fight scene is the best demo.

Also I would like to suggest Atomic Blonde as test material. For some reasons it has color issues after MakeMKV conversion
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700