Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Grencola

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola »

olevelo wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:39 pm
Grencola wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:12 pm
never demux the ac3 track. it's crap. the best that mp4muxer supports is actually e-ac3 dolby digital plus 7.1 + atmos. it's still lossy, but at a much higher bitrate than regular ac3 (1536kbps vs 192kbps) and you get atmos (just like Netflix, etc). if you're lucky, some movies come with an eac3 dd+ 7.1 atmos track, but if not you have to do some converting. unfortunately only 5.1 (no atmos) is possible unless you have a licensed copy of dolby media encoder suite. usually movies only have hd-audio or dts/ac3 tracks though, so always pick the hd-audio track to demux. then use eac3to or ffmpeg to convert it to e-ac3, and create your mp4 with that. lossy dts-hd or true-hd dd+ e-ac3 sounds waay better than regular lossy dts or dd ac3.
You seem to be talking out of both sides. You say don't demux the ac3 track, but then you admit that most movies don't have a DD+ track to demux directly. Then you say to demux the HD audio and convert it to e-ac3, but before that you admit that without a licensed dolby encoder, you can only get non-Atmos 5.1...so what's the point of converting when you can just demux the ac3 track? The one that's created by the movie makers is likely to be as good as or better than one that you create from converting from one format to another.
Lol what? read what I said again. I said to never demux the ac3 track, cuz it's crap. I said if you're lucky there's an eac3 7.1 track sometimes on the movie. I said otherwise it's just hd audio / ac3. I said to always choose the hd audio track and convert it to eac3. I said eac3 5.1 is all you can get without using dolby tools. I never said once to convert it to ac3 5.1, there's a big difference. I said the bitrate will be much higher with eac3 and that also dd+ sounds better than regular dd. google ac3 vs eac3 if you still don't understand.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:59 pm
Lol what? read what I said again. I said to never demux the ac3 track, cuz it's crap. I said if you're lucky there's an eac3 7.1 track sometimes on the movie. I said otherwise it's just hd audio / ac3. I said to always choose the hd audio track and convert it to eac3. I said eac3 5.1 is all you can get without using dolby tools. I never said once to convert it to ac3 5.1, there's a big difference. I said the bitrate will be much higher with eac3 and that also dd+ sounds better than regular dd. google ac3 vs eac3 if you still don't understand.
I know exactly what you said, because I already repeated it, then you repeated it again. From what I've seen, there is very little difference in an AC-3 and an E-AC-3 track, unless you're able to encode the extra channels or Atmos into the E-AC-3. If there is a substantial difference, please educate us. In addition, even before you said this, I had tried to convert my TrueHD tracks to E-AC-3 but I couldn't find any tools which could do it. The only one that even claimed to do it was XMedia Recode (actually from your comment on the Reddit post awhile back), but it just produces a silent 10 second or so file. Nothing I did worked. If you could share some details on how to convert to eac3 properly I'd love to hear it.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

heh alright then. yea for sure I can help, XMedia Recode works well. like I said the eac3 file I create from hd-audio has 1536kbps vs the196kbps ac3 file. that's a huge difference :) demux the hd-audio track, let's use dts-hd for example, in TSMuxer (don't select down-convert) which spits out a .dts file (you've obviously done this part already). then add the dts file into XMedia Recode, and then on the preset pull down choose custom and find e-ac3 from the big list. then on the pulldown that says stereo choose 5.1 (front left, front right, center, side left, side right (cuz rear left and rear right is for 7.1), I believe it's the 2nd from the bottom. then under bitrate pulldown choose the largest one at the end (1536kbps), then click add to queue and hit encode. it'll produce a new dts file but this time it has the original dts track, and the new dd+ eac3 track you created. add this new dts file back into tsmuxer and demux one last time. it will split them apart and you'll get an ac3 file, which when you check the media info will show dd+ eac3 1536kbps that plays great.
jakeycrx

Post by jakeycrx »

I posted on GitHub and got a reply. sc miss-match means that it can't find the start code for the HEVC stream.

How are you guys extracting the 2 HEVC streams from the M2TS file?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

jakeycrx wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 am
grab the latest version of tsmuxer, add the largest m2ts file from the bdmv\streams folder, select the two video streams, choose demux at bottom, and hit start.
jakeycrx

Post by jakeycrx »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm
jakeycrx wrote:
grab the latest version of tsmuxer, add the largest m2ts file from the bdmv\streams folder, select the two video streams, choose demux at bottom, and hit start.
Thanks. I got there in the end. The mistake I made was extracting the 2 streams using MKVtoolnix. I added the .hevc extension when I saved them and they were listed as .hevc files but MP4muxer didn't like them and that's what what was giving the "SC miss-match" error. I think SC stands for start code.

I've made 2 files (Fate of the Furious and Venom) and they both play with DoVi through Plex on my LG C8. I wasn't expecting to get DoVi through Plex so that was a pleasant surprise. They can just sit in my 4K movie library with all my non DoVi content. The LG always tells you whether you're playing HDR or DoVi with the banner in the top corner when you first play the file so I'll know what is DoVi.

I've found an MKV file with the 2 streams present so I'm going to run a test by extracting them and see if it works that way. I'll report back shortly.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:01 am
heh alright then. yea for sure I can help, XMedia Recode works well. like I said the eac3 file I create from hd-audio has 1536kbps vs the196kbps ac3 file. that's a huge difference :) demux the hd-audio track, let's use dts-hd for example, in TSMuxer (don't select down-convert) which spits out a .dts file (you've obviously done this part already). then add the dts file into XMedia Recode, and then on the preset pull down choose custom and find e-ac3 from the big list. then on the pulldown that says stereo choose 5.1 (front left, front right, center, side left, side right (cuz rear left and rear right is for 7.1), I believe it's the 2nd from the bottom. then under bitrate pulldown choose the largest one at the end (1536kbps), then click add to queue and hit encode. it'll produce a new dts file but this time it has the original dts track, and the new dd+ eac3 track you created. add this new dts file back into tsmuxer and demux one last time. it will split them apart and you'll get an ac3 file, which when you check the media info will show dd+ eac3 1536kbps that plays great.
Thanks, I'll try that when I get a chance. Is the process any different for a TrueHD stream? Because that's what I was trying it with before. Thought I did those exact steps but only got the 10 second file.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

jakeycrx wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:04 pm
Grencola wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm
jakeycrx wrote:
Thanks. I got there in the end. The mistake I made was extracting the 2 streams using MKVtoolnix. I added the .hevc extension when I saved them and they were listed as .hevc files but MP4muxer didn't like them and that's what what was giving the "SC miss-match" error. I think SC stands for start code.

I've made 2 files (Fate of the Furious and Venom) and they both play with DoVi through Plex on my LG C8. I wasn't expecting to get DoVi through Plex so that was a pleasant surprise. They can just sit in my 4K movie library with all my non DoVi content. The LG always tells you whether you're playing HDR or DoVi with the banner in the top corner when you first play the file so I'll know what is DoVi.

I've found an MKV file with the 2 streams present so I'm going to run a test by extracting them and see if it works that way. I'll report back shortly.
good to hear. yea lg tv's can play dv mp4s via plex perfectly. having issues getting it to work on a Vizio, however. I've direct direct play direct stream etc but always reverts back to hdr10. usb playback works fine but plex is so much nicer.

I also made an mp4 from an mkv remux after reading someone was successful. the DV logo popped up right, but it just showed a blank screen the whole time and only had 4 seconds of audio. let me know how you make out cuz I may try again with a different movie.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

olevelo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:53 pm
Thanks, I'll try that when I get a chance. Is the process any different for a TrueHD stream? Because that's what I was trying it with before. Thought I did those exact steps but only got the 10 second file.
yep, same thing with truehd :)
Fuso90

Post by Fuso90 »

Grencola wrote:
make this script:
open a new text file and paste in:

ren *track1.hevc baselayer.hevc
ren *track2.hevc dvlayer.hevc
ren *.ac3 audio.ac3
mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file baselayer.hevc --input-file dvlayer.hevc --input-file audio.eac3 --media-lang eng --output-file movie.mp4

save it to where you keep your mp4muxer exe, and rename it to startmux.cmd

then whenever you're done demuxing a movie and converting audio, just place a copy of mp4muxer and startmux.cmd into your chosen demux folder and double click on startmux.cmd :)
I've just tried that but nothing happens. It starts to write to my HDD, creates the file movie.mp4, after ~15 mins the cmd prompt closes and the output file movie.mp4 is 0 bytes in size...
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

Fuso90 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:05 pm
Grencola wrote:
make this script:
open a new text file and paste in:

ren *track1.hevc baselayer.hevc
ren *track2.hevc dvlayer.hevc
ren *.ac3 audio.ac3
mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file baselayer.hevc --input-file dvlayer.hevc --input-file audio.eac3 --media-lang eng --output-file movie.mp4

save it to where you keep your mp4muxer exe, and rename it to startmux.cmd

then whenever you're done demuxing a movie and converting audio, just place a copy of mp4muxer and startmux.cmd into your chosen demux folder and double click on startmux.cmd :)
I've just tried that but nothing happens. It starts to write to my HDD, creates the file movie.mp4, after ~15 mins the cmd prompt closes and the output file movie.mp4 is 0 bytes in size...

oh oops, thx for pointing this out, I edited my original post. put this in startmux.cmd instead:

ren *.hevc baselayer.hevc
ren 0*.hevc dvlayer.hevc
ren *.ac3 audio.ac3
Last edited by Grencola on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

How did you convert DTS-HD MA or TrueHd to e-ac3 with eac3to? I´ve tried it and it did´t work.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

powdeau wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:06 pm
How did you convert DTS-HD MA or TrueHd to e-ac3 with eac3to? I´ve tried it and it did´t work.
from cmd prompt:
eac3to old.dts new.eac3

only sometimes works for me though, but my XMedia Recode method is flawless
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

Grencola wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:04 am
powdeau wrote:
from cmd prompt:
eac3to old.dts new.eac3

only sometimes works for me though, but my XMedia Recode method is flawless
I’ve tried that with cmd, but I got messeage that the conversion is not supported. It works with XMedia but if I set the bitrate to 1536, my AVR cannot play it, so I have to set it only to 768, which isn’t much different from the classic ac3. It would be great if I could set the bitrate manually (e.g. 1400) and it might work.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

powdeau wrote:

I’ve tried that with cmd, but I got messeage that the conversion is not supported. It works with XMedia but if I set the bitrate to 1536, my AVR cannot play it, so I have to set it only to 768, which isn’t much different from the classic ac3. It would be great if I could set the bitrate manually (e.g. 1400) and it might work.
Yea that's typically the case. too bad your AVR doesn't work though :( there might be a way to manually set it, I'll look into it.