Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MartyMcNuts

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Gallo73 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:53 pm
It's my first go today at doing this - I've made the MP4 but it isn't recognised by my LG E6 OLED when trying to play with a USB drive into the USB3 port. It looks like it tries to load (disk access light is flashing) but I just get the LG loading symbol and after a few minutes the error 'file cannot be played'. On the Shield TV it plays but as HDR which is normal I guess for profile 7.

I'd really just like a way to get DV playback from UHDs on my Shield TV ideally, but as I understand that's not possible with dual stream MP4 .If anything has changed I'd love to know. I've read through the threads but there is a lot of information and easy to miss developments.

I used the following command for mp4muxer - have I done something wrong? Does the version of tsMuxer matter to get the files from the BDMV backup I made in MakeMKV?

mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file base.hevc --input-file dv.hevc --input-file audio.ac3 --media-lang eng --output-file thematrix.mp4

Mediainfo reports the file structure correct I think:

Complete name : thematrix.mp4

Video #1
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : hev1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 2 h 16 min
Bit rate : 48.8 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels

Video #2
ID : 2
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : hev1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration : 2 h 16 min
Bit rate : 66.2 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels

Audio
ID : 3
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital
Codec ID : ac-3
1. I'm not 100% certain about this but to play directly on your LG TV you should use DV profile 4 (not 7).

2. For the shield, why not use MakeMKV to create a DV mkv file (from your backup folder), then use tsmuxer to create a ts file using the video from the mkv and the audio from the mpls in the backup folder?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Gallo73

Post by Gallo73 »

Thank you very much, worked first time using the mp4muxer_64bits version.

I was also able to get Dolby Vision to trigger by using yusesope's bl_el_rpu_builder with the two hevc files from the BDMV backup and remuxing the resulting single file with the ac3 audio in tsMuxer to a ts file.

Both the MP4 and the ts file trigger Dolby Vision when played on my LG E6 OLED via USB. Both revert to vanilla HDR on my ShieldTV.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

profile 7 is the right one to use when using mp4muxer for playback on the lg internal player
Gallo73

Post by Gallo73 »

Thanks for everyone's help. I wasted a bit of time as I thought my Shield TV 2017 supported DV playback and it does not. But I can get DV playback on my LG E6 OLED from both the bl_el_rpu_builder and mp4muxer_64bits outputs via my plex server using the WebOS plex app.

After spending a day trying to get it to work I think using yusesope's bl_el_rpu_builder is the easiest method. Here's my workflow for use on a Plex server with the WebOS plex app and an LG E6 Oled.

1. Backup disc with MakeMKV
2. Open BDMV/STREAM with TSmuxer and demux the two hevc streams (base and el) and the ac3 audio stream
3. Use bl_el_rpu_builder to combine the two hevc streams
4. Load the combined stream and the audio stream into TSmuxer and mux to ts
5. Put ts file in your Plex library and enjoy glorious DV.
userr

Post by userr »

yusesope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm
Hello, i quoted you on a random post to "ping you", i was wondering, can you see a reason why i cannot encode/shrink the BL only and then try to use -mode2 with your tool? It goes to 100% but i get no prompt like "enter to finish", and when i later try to mp4muxer it all together, it just stands there for hours.
Abit niche scenario, just wondered if you have an idea.

Cheers for amazing work
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

userr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:36 pm
yusesope wrote:
Hello, i quoted you on a random post to "ping you", i was wondering, can you see a reason why i cannot encode/shrink the BL only and then try to use -mode2 with your tool? It goes to 100% but i get no prompt like "enter to finish", and when i later try to mp4muxer it all together, it just stands there for hours.

Cheers for amazing work
Hi, are you using the 0.0.4 ALFA version of my program?
If not, you can download it from my original post (HERE).
I also invite you to read "Instructions and considerations".
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

i have lyp-sync problems with profile 7 with the movie escapre from new york. whats the solution? profile 4? (LG C9 internal)
userr

Post by userr »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:14 pm
userr wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:36 pm
yusesope wrote:

Cheers for amazing work
Hi, are you using the 0.0.4 ALFA version of my program?
If not, you can download it from my original post (HERE).
I also invite you to read "Instructions and considerations".
thank you, i was not using 0.0.4 ALFA i will try that, the AUs are the same on BL and EL, and as i was typing this, it seems to work with 0.0.4!
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

kazuma wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:18 pm
i have lyp-sync problems with profile 7 with the movie escapre from new york. whats the solution? profile 4? (LG C9 internal)
i have now used the tool of grencola and the problem is gone. but if i first demux te files and convert to mp4, i get lyp-sync issue...
tr000

Post by tr000 »

kazuma wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:14 pm
kazuma wrote:
i have now used the tool of grencola and the problem is gone. but if i first demux te files and convert to mp4, i get lyp-sync issue...
You are probably demuxing the AC3 track with Atmos, which will cause audio issues. Grencola's tool converts the Atmos AC3 track into a regular AC3.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

tr000 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:02 am
kazuma wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:14 pm
kazuma wrote:
You are probably demuxing the AC3 track with Atmos, which will cause audio issues. Grencola's tool converts the Atmos AC3 track into a regular AC3.
i have that already done with eac334
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

after i extensively tested my M9702 DV vs DV profile 7 mp4, i saw there was no difference. first i thought there was a difference but that was a placebo effect i think. now i sold my unit. it was wasted money to keep it only for DV.
Gallo73

Post by Gallo73 »

Odd results with War of the Worlds MKV and Grencola's tool. I can produce the MP4, it plays on my E6 and triggers DV, but it's half the size it should be and it's obviously missing something as very stuttery. Is there something I should have done that I missed?

I've also tried MP4 muxer profile 7 (profile 4 fails to build) and , and bl_el_rpu_builder in mode 1 and 2 with TSmux4.06 and I can't get anything to work. The enhancement layer is FEL if that makes a difference.

It would be great to have a FAQ along the lines of - if your el from media info is A (MEL/FEL, max luminance or whatever parameters are important) - do B (MP4mux, Grencola or bl_el_rpu_builder+TSMux) with the associated arguments like profile/mode and program builds if it's important (like TSmux4.06 and MP464bit). Probably too complicated because of the permutations but there doesn't seem to be one method that just seems to work. I've got lucky a few times but other times it takes hours of attempts. Still feels like great progress though and it's a real achievement so far.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Gallo73 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:34 pm
Odd results with War of the Worlds MKV and Grencola's tool. I can produce the MP4, it plays on my E6 and triggers DV, but it's half the size it should be and it's obviously missing something as very stuttery. Is there something I should have done that I missed?

I've also tried MP4 muxer profile 7 (profile 4 fails to build) and , and bl_el_rpu_builder in mode 1 and 2 with TSmux4.06 and I can't get anything to work. The enhancement layer is FEL if that makes a difference.

It would be great to have a FAQ along the lines of - if your el from media info is A (MEL/FEL, max luminance or whatever parameters are important) - do B (MP4mux, Grencola or bl_el_rpu_builder+TSMux) with the associated arguments like profile/mode and program builds if it's important (like TSmux4.06 and MP464bit). Probably too complicated because of the permutations but there doesn't seem to be one method that just seems to work. I've got lucky a few times but other times it takes hours of attempts. Still feels like great progress though and it's a real achievement so far.
There really aren't that many different permutations as it largely depends on your playback device. For LG Internal players, demux from decrypted backup (eac3to/ffmpeg) and mux using mp4muxer. Keep the BL and EL tracks separate and use the ac3 core of the truehd audio track. For the 2019 Shield, use the newest version of makemkv or yusecope's tool to merge the BL/EL tracks and mux with tsmuxer.

If you are making mp4s for your E6, you really have no need to go near mkvs, tsmuxer (unless you're using it to demux), or yusecope's tool.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

So I made some color comparison tests with my HDfury Vertex on the Shield and the Sony x700 which accurately play DV.
Using the Vertex scaler, I removed the BT2020 flag from the RGB 8BIT Dolby vision signal and bingo!! the red push is gone.
No doubt in my mind this is the problem.

Shield RGB 8 BIT VERTEX FIX VS Shield RGB 8bit BT2020 DEFAULT mode
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/4609

Shield RGB 8 BIT VERTEX FIX VS Sony X700RGB 8 bit DEFAULT mode
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/4610

Shield RGB 8bit BT2020 DEFAULT VS Sony X700RGB 8 bit DEFAULT mode
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/4611