Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
PapitaHD

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by PapitaHD »

lexyz wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 am
PapitaHD wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:14 am
Here is a 3 min long sample: https://we.tl/t-K5JhSURkGS
much appreciated :D
Still flickers
Bad news... After you'd said it's flickering I checked Saving Private Ryan again with longer samples and sadly it really flickers on C8 and M9702 too.
Final conclusion: STDL MEL (and DTDL MEL) flickers but STDL FEL doesn't.

Strange thing is that Transformers 4 (which has about the same bitrate for its FEL) works perfectly after the MEL conversion, no flickering at all.

I'm gonna test a few more titles.
ghostshadow

Post by ghostshadow »

yusesope wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:21 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:23 pm
yep, it looks like @yusesope fel to mel conversions are done properly.
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/6581

This behavior is normal. If you give TsMuxeR a raw hevc stream consisting of BL+EL+RPU, TsMuxer will only be able to assign profile 7.
Do you want profile 8? You have to import a stream with only BL+RPU into TsMuxeR. To do this, right click on "MUX.bat" and "MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_MEL.bat" and then select "Edit". Add the string -mode 2 in both and save the changes. At the moment, however, I do not recommend proceeding with this solution. Read on to understand why.
PS:
the name of the file created will always be BL_EL_RPU.hevc but it is simply a placeholder for people who are "too lazy" :wink: to use the command line

I honestly don't understand why you guys care so much about profile 5.
It uses a proprietary color space (the advantages of which will perhaps be appreciable when we have 12bit panels) and not having an Enhancement Layer is definitely lower quality than a UHD-BD. So why?

Converting a color space involves an encoding operation, and if you wait for me to write an encoder from scratch then the wait will be very long (years).
I'm sure there are people in the world who are already working on it. I don't have the skills for that!

Instead I am doing some experiments on profile 8 (in particular 8.1). The idea is to improve my -mode 2 (UHD-BD -> 8.1). This profile should work for any "streaming device" (from televisions to consoles). What do you think?

x265 does not need a parser for RPU. It simply accepts a file containing the RPUs (I presume sorted according to each access unit present in the Base Layer). Look HERE.

What's the problem? If you proceed with an encoding of the Base Layer then you must also change the parameters of the RPU. At the moment, however, we do not know the algorithm that allows to generate new RPUs!
Thank you very much!
ragico

Post by ragico »

yusesope wrote:
Before releasing version v0.0.4_BETA I need one last test: an STDL FEL-> MEL file inside the MKV container (to be tested on a device like the FireStick 4K, capable of playing MEL profile 7 but not FEL profile 7 ). Of course you have to use my version of ExoP.
Always using the various conversion steps FEL -> MEL, instead of creating an m2ts MEL DTDL in TsMuxeR, generate an ISO (always adding first BL.hevc and then EL_RPU.hevc in TsMuxeR) and feed it to MakeMKV.
Tested and works in firestick.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

ragico wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:22 am
Tested and works in firestick.
Thanks for your invaluable help!

lexyz wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 am
Still flickers
PapitaHD wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:35 am
Bad news... After you'd said it's flickering I checked Saving Private Ryan again with longer samples and sadly it really flickers on C8 and M9702 too.
Final conclusion: STDL MEL (and DTDL MEL) flickers but STDL FEL doesn't.

Strange thing is that Transformers 4 (which has about the same bitrate for its FEL) works perfectly after the MEL conversion, no flickering at all.

I'm gonna test a few more titles.
Thanks for reporting! I hope Private Ryan is an exception. If you do any more tests, please let us know the results!

mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:51 pm
Ciao mike!
Today @lexyz and @PapitaHD started the "bug hunting" day :lol: .
It seemed rude not to invite you to play with us :D !
Maybe (and just maybe) I ran into a MakeMKV bug.
THIS 60 sec sample comes from the Spears & Munsil UHD-BD. It is a file with DV MEL but MakeMKV does not recognize it as such and generates a DV-free mkv.
I believe your logic is based on analyzing the nonlinear quantization parameters. The problem is that these RPUs don't have any (due to the value of the boolean disable_residual_flag). You should add a safety net for this non-standard file type.
iamTa

Post by iamTa »

yusesope wrote:Before releasing version v0.0.4_BETA I need one last test: an STDL FEL-> MEL file inside the MKV container (to be tested on a device like the FireStick 4K, capable of playing MEL profile 7 but not FEL profile 7 ). Of course you have to use my version of ExoP.
Always using the various conversion steps FEL -> MEL, instead of creating an m2ts MEL DTDL in TsMuxeR, generate an ISO (always adding first BL.hevc and then EL_RPU.hevc in TsMuxeR) and feed it to MakeMKV.
I've just tested this and it works perfectly on an Nvidia Shield!
PapitaHD

Post by PapitaHD »

I've created a few mkv's with the method yusesope described (converting to MEL with method2, creating ISO with tsMuxeR then remux it with MakeMKV), so others can test them, unfortunately I don't own a device which would be able to play DV-mkv.
Saving Private Ryan is among them, would be interesting to see whether it flickers in an mkv container too or not.
Gladiator & Kick-Ass: https://we.tl/t-eDu4zjnQj0
Apocalypse Now: https://we.tl/t-SJaD5a4ExL
Transformers 4: https://we.tl/t-z6Oos2hHxy
Saving Private Ryan: https://we.tl/t-IgV2cbcSuY

I checked all of them and only Saving Private Ryan flickers.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yusesope wrote:
I honestly don't understand why you guys care so much about profile 5.
It uses a proprietary color space (the advantages of which will perhaps be appreciable when we have 12bit panels) and not having an Enhancement Layer is definitely lower quality than a UHD-BD. So why?
Because I have a another DV TV with an appleTV in another room.
yusesope wrote:

Converting a color space involves an encoding operation,
I'm not sure about that, The Sony x700 , the Windows 10 Movies & TV app can tone map on the fly, profile 5 full range to HDR10 bt2020 or SDR bt709. The vertex 2 can also do that.
But i do get that in order to obtain a new/proper profile 5 file, encoding is required.
yusesope wrote:
if you wait for me to write an encoder from scratch then the wait will be very long (years).
the encoder (x265.exe) already exists for that.. I was just asking for a tool that can extract the RPU information to a file that would be accepted in x265.exe
yusesope wrote:

What's the problem? If you proceed with an encoding of the Base Layer then you must also change the parameters of the RPU. At the moment, however, we do not know the algorithm that allows to generate new RPUs!
it's all fine, it was a long shot. I was just hoping for more magic coming from you :)
I appreciate all the work you've done.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:07 am
There are multiple reasons why the FEL structure is intact in my MEL files.
This is not the important thing.
What matters, in my opinion, are the NALu RPU. Imagine the latter as an orchestra conductor. With the right changes I can explain to the Decoder that it does not have to start a second decoding session (as happens in FEL files) but to use "a static image" as substrate (as happens with MEL files) regardless of the presence of FEL data.
This is the goal.
Hey yusecope, so I went back and reread the FAQ posted here: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... tcount=119 again just to better understand what the conversion is doing in the big picture. Referring to the image snippet of the dolby docs in that post, lets take for example some FEL content that was mastered on a 4000-nit display and then split up into a 1000-nit base layer and an EL that’s required to reconstruct the original picture. When converting to MEL, am I correct to understand that your tool is not actually converting the base layer to 4000 nits with information from the EL, but instead modifying the RPU so that it can tell the decoder later during playback that no extra picture information exists on the EL, thus treating the entire file as MEL? So in a sense, this is a more sophisticated version of your previous -mode 2 conversion?
iamTa

Post by iamTa »

PapitaHD wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm
I've created a few mkv's with the method yusesope described (converting to MEL with method2, creating ISO with tsMuxeR then remux it with MakeMKV), so others can test them, unfortunately I don't own a device which would be able to play DV-mkv.
Saving Private Ryan is among them, would be interesting to see whether it flickers in an mkv container too or not.

These all played perfectly in DV with no flickering on a LG C9 with an Nvidia Shield and the modded Exoplayer.
badrobot

Post by badrobot »

@jcdr428

With the nightly build version of TsMuxeR on Sept 25th, If I choose the TS output format, Plex Server can not detect the TrueHD sound track, only an AC3-5.1 sound track. Plex on Shield TV Pro 2019 can not play the ts file, the picture freezes.

If I choose the M2TS output format, everything is OK.
I have tested 2 movies, got the same result.
Plex Server and Plex Android App are both the latest version.

These are my steps:
1. Use FFMPEG to split BL and EL layer from the UHD Bluray Disk.
2. Use the Mux python script by yusesope to get BL_EL_RPU.hevc.
3. Use TsMuxeR GUI to mux the final TS or M2TS, all the TsMuxeR GUI options are default. Only 2 tracks are selected to mux.

————————————————

Code: Select all

MUXOPT --no-pcr-on-video-pid --vbr  --vbv-len=500
#V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC, "D:\Downloads\Leon.The.Professional.1994.MULTi.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY-MONUMENT\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts", track=4113
#V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC, "D:\Downloads\Leon.The.Professional.1994.MULTi.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY-MONUMENT\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts", track=4117
#A_DTS, "D:\Downloads\Leon.The.Professional.1994.MULTi.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY-MONUMENT\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts", track=4352, lang=deu
A_AC3, "D:\Downloads\Leon.The.Professional.1994.MULTi.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY-MONUMENT\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts", track=4353, lang=eng
#A_DTS, "D:\Downloads\Leon.The.Professional.1994.MULTi.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY-MONUMENT\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts", track=4354, lang=und
#S_HDMV/PGS, "D:\Downloads\Leon.The.Professional.1994.MULTi.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY-MONUMENT\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts", fps=24, track=4768, lang=deu
#S_HDMV/PGS, "D:\Downloads\Leon.The.Professional.1994.MULTi.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY-MONUMENT\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts", fps=24, track=4769, lang=eng
#S_HDMV/PGS, "D:\Downloads\Leon.The.Professional.1994.MULTi.COMPLETE.UHD.BLURAY-MONUMENT\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts", fps=24, track=4770, lang=deu
V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC, "D:\tmp\BL_EL_RPU.hevc"
Last edited by badrobot on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:40 am, edited 6 times in total.
I am not a native English speaker.
Sorry for my bad English.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

PapitaHD wrote:
It is a good sign :D !
Thanks for the files!

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:46 pm
Because I have a another DV TV with an appleTV in another room.
I see. Profile 5 only? No profile 8?
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:46 pm
But i do get that in order to obtain a new/proper profile 5 file, encoding is required.
I think so too. Also because all the examples you mentioned occur during the decoding phase, using the previously encoded information.

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:46 pm
this is a more sophisticated version of your previous -mode 2 conversion?
The concept of "-mode 2" should remain associated with those profiles (5/8) in which the EL is completely absent (and the RPUs have a different structure). In this case I'm trying to mimic the behavior of a MEL file.
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:46 pm
When converting to MEL, am I correct to understand that your tool is not actually converting the base layer to 4000 nits with information from the EL, but instead modifying the RPU so that it can tell the decoder later during playback that no extra picture information exists on the EL, thus treating the entire file as MEL?
During decoding, the image generated by the data present in EL represents a residue (difference) of the original video content compared to the image obtained by processing the data present in BL.
EL is a 10-bit video bitstream that carries the residual between the mezzanine source and the base layer and the dynamic metadata for Dolby Vision.
By modifying the RPU the idea is to tell the decoder that the residual signal is equal to zero and that it should not bother to "read" the content.
The rest of the information, both static (eg, MaxFALL and MaxCLL) and dynamic (eg, min, max and avg luminance of each shot) remain unchanged.
By giving up the process of decoding the data in EL, I think it is normal that it is no longer possible to generate the 12bit signal as it was mastered by the creators (using monitors up to 10000 nits).
Keep also in mind that current consumer displays rarely exceed 2000 nits (LCD). OLEDs peak at 600-700 nits, and few home projectors are lucky enough to hit 150 nits. When the signal exceeds the capability of the TV, tone mapping is activated by reducing the luminance as the signal approaches the clipping point of the display (following a Perceptual Quantizer (PQ) curve, remaps luminance from the source values to the lower values the display can support)
Decidueye

Post by Decidueye »

Hello everyone first post here complete newbie. I wanted to try if Dolby Vision playback with Mission Impossible movies is possible with my LG C9

First tried with Ghost Protocol. I followed the instructions on the first post and double checked, the new mp4 is successfully created but it doesn't work. The TV cannot read the file and says it is not supported.

Is there something I did incorrectly or is it because of the file or my TV?
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

PapitaHD wrote:

Everything played perfectly. May I ask how did you convert from FEL to MEL?
thank you very much
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 pm
quietvoid wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:19 pm
Just tried this and it works on the FireTV Stick 4K...On archlinux...And it plays in Dolby Vision with ExoPlayer. :)
It always warms the heart to see "archlinux" written somewhere :D . Thanks for your feedback.
pitrako wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:17 pm
I need some .dll or something? MUX.bat works but MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_MEL.bat doesn't work, It shows the error I posted above.
PapitaHD wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:31 pm
Same error for me. I'm trying to convert/remux Gemini Man from a full UHD BluRay backup. Officially it's a FEL title, although it has about the lowest bitrare a FEL can have.
Later I'll try Saving Private Ryan.
Yes you are right. Your Windows needs THESE libraries (unpack the archive and place the two dll files where there are the files MUX.bat, DEMUX.bat, etc ...). It's not an elegant solution but it should at least work for these days of testing.
Let me know!
jcdr428 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:12 pm
Hi @yusesope, so you need tsMuxer to register profile 6 as profile 4 to be read by ExoPlayer, is this correct?
The files that are created by this latest version have as VUI:
0,9,16,9,2 for the Base layer
0,9,16,9,2 for the Enhancement layer.
The correct profile should therefore be 7.
Now I don't remember well but it seems to me that TsMuxeR currently generates files with profile 6 (but, I repeat myself, I could be wrong). If my tool proves to work, in my opinion, we should try to mark the ts files with profile 7 (and not 6).
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:39 pm
I think yusecope is suggesting that what tsmuxer is currently registering as profile 6 should go back to being registered as profile 7
Yep, Exactly!
unfortunately the link does not work :(
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Decidueye wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:52 am
Hello everyone first post here complete newbie. I wanted to try if Dolby Vision playback with Mission Impossible movies is possible with my LG C9

First tried with Ghost Protocol. I followed the instructions on the first post and double checked, the new mp4 is successfully created but it doesn't work. The TV cannot read the file and says it is not supported.

Is there something I did incorrectly or is it because of the file or my TV?
What audio file did you create for your mp4?
Your LG won’t play an mp4 if the audio is True-HD.