Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Liersi

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Liersi »

Hey guys, first time in this thread. I've been reading back for a while, also started in from the beginning, and it's a lot of shifting info due to all the players and sinks people are using. The following question is not out of laziness but genuine confusion about all the possibilities you are discussing.

My scenario is playback via new Shield TV 2019 to a non-DV sink via a HDfury Vertex2, which allows the use of LLDV through emulation of compatible device EDID. So Shield, LLDV via Vertex2 device emulation, display. Assuming I want to retain everything I can, including HD audio (even Atmos etc.), which of these profiles and demuxing/splitting/remuxing processes would produce working files?

Thank you for any advice that helps me learn this stuff better. It's daunting sometimes!
besson

Post by besson »

planet_hoarder wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:35 pm
besson wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:53 am
Hey,

Looking for a little help here, I went back many pages, and I am not sure how to do this process in it's completion.

I tried FFMPEG and got nothing but errors

I just got a new system capable of atmos, and really want to be able to do this. I have tried the disc and the blu ray folder, but nothing works.

I know there is a lot of help here and I mostly followed
viewtopic.php?t=18602&start=1650

Thanks
can you be more specific? "atmos capable" usually mean can playback atmos object data, but for real atmos effect you need height speakers.
what did you do exactly? which tools?
where did you try to playback? how everything is connected?
Sorry the steps were not very clear that I was following, so what I was trying wasn't working.

So setup is:
Sony soundbar with rear speakers with vertical engine to simulate the atmos effect connected via e-arc to my vizio tv with e-arc. Using a apple tv 4k, but willing to get anything that displays that it is playing atmos.

Like I said steps weren't super clear, but I got stopped dead in my tracks at the FFMPEG part with ffmpeg -i bluray:\path\to\bluray_disc -map 0:0 -c copy \path\to\BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy \path\to\EL.hevc

My command was directly to my drive, which said it was encrypted. I then pointed it to the decrypted blu ray folder, no luck.

If someone can help me step by step here and get the proper end file with my atmos track that will actually play and show atmos I'm willing to pay. I have been dumping money into this and I just want the atmos track and my 4kuhd track.

Not sure if any of this helps, but i am building a full on htpc as well, but can get a shield in the meantime if necessary. Apologies if im sounding like a bumbling idiot I have been having a rough time with this process.

Thank You
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Liersi wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:54 pm
Hey guys, first time in this thread. I've been reading back for a while, also started in from the beginning, and it's a lot of shifting info due to all the players and sinks people are using. The following question is not out of laziness but genuine confusion about all the possibilities you are discussing.

My scenario is playback via new Shield TV 2019 to a non-DV sink via a HDfury Vertex2, which allows the use of LLDV through emulation of compatible device EDID. So Shield, LLDV via Vertex2 device emulation, display. Assuming I want to retain everything I can, including HD audio (even Atmos etc.), which of these profiles and demuxing/splitting/remuxing processes would produce working files?

Thank you for any advice that helps me learn this stuff better. It's daunting sometimes!
Needing to send a LLDV signal won't affect the kind of file you have to create. If you don't want to wait for the new DV-compatible mkv containers, the easiest way right now is to go from disk -> mkv with makemkv 1.15.1. If atmos audio is present, extract it with eac3to to thd+ac3 format. Then add mkv and extracted track into either latest nightly build of tsmuxer or the 04.06 fix version that most have been using around here and mux.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:10 pm
Needing to send a LLDV signal won't affect the kind of file you have to create. If you don't want to wait for the new DV-compatible mkv containers, the easiest way right now is to go from disk -> mkv with makemkv 1.15.1. If atmos audio is present, extract it with eac3to to thd+ac3 format. Then add mkv and extracted track into either latest nightly build of tsmuxer or the 04.06 fix version that most have been using around here and mux.
See, I wouldn't even have known if LLDV made a difference for this. I'll try it the way you describe next chance I get and report back. Thank you very much for helping me out.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

besson wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:07 pm
Sorry the steps were not very clear that I was following, so what I was trying wasn't working.

So setup is:
Sony soundbar with rear speakers with vertical engine to simulate the atmos effect connected via e-arc to my vizio tv with e-arc. Using a apple tv 4k, but willing to get anything that displays that it is playing atmos.

Like I said steps weren't super clear, but I got stopped dead in my tracks at the FFMPEG part with ffmpeg -i bluray:\path\to\bluray_disc -map 0:0 -c copy \path\to\BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy \path\to\EL.hevc

My command was directly to my drive, which said it was encrypted. I then pointed it to the decrypted blu ray folder, no luck.

If someone can help me step by step here and get the proper end file with my atmos track that will actually play and show atmos I'm willing to pay. I have been dumping money into this and I just want the atmos track and my 4kuhd track.

Not sure if any of this helps, but i am building a full on htpc as well, but can get a shield in the meantime if necessary. Apologies if im sounding like a bumbling idiot I have been having a rough time with this process.

Thank You
There's a lot going on here, but the main problem here is that you don't have a device capable of playing back lossless truehd atmos. e-ARC is capable of passing a truehd atmos signal, but I doubt the vizio is capable of decoding it in the first place. The Apple TV is also not capable; the best it will do is convert it to LPCM using infuse. I'm not sure about the capabilities of a htpc, but the Shield will solve this issue. Once you get this issue solved and if you don't care about dolby vision, then just go from disk to mkv with the latest version of makemkv and call it a day.
box4m

Post by box4m »

planet_hoarder wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:32 pm
box4m wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:12 pm
what will i get if i run mp4muxer and create a profile 5 mp4 with BL+EL+RPU from yuse tool?
It plays fine but what am i seeing :P? BL+RPU cause its profile 5?

the filesize and bitrate is more with BL+EL+RPU even though its profile 5 so i guess placebo can make it look better :p
it depends, if EL really makes picture 12bit, than it's useless everywhere, since there are no consumer 12bit panels.
Then all profiles are the same, since they show BL+RPU

there is no benefit of using yusecope's tool, if you are creating DV file with mp4muxer.
how else do i merge BL+EL? if i use mp4muxer and have BL + EL as inputs, it creates a duallayer no?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

box4m wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:09 pm
planet_hoarder wrote:
box4m wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:12 pm
what will i get if i run mp4muxer and create a profile 5 mp4 with BL+EL+RPU from yuse tool?
It plays fine but what am i seeing :P? BL+RPU cause its profile 5?

the filesize and bitrate is more with BL+EL+RPU even though its profile 5 so i guess placebo can make it look better :p
it depends, if EL really makes picture 12bit, than it's useless everywhere, since there are no consumer 12bit panels.

there is no benefit of using yusecope's tool, if you are creating DV file with mp4muxer.
how else do i merge BL+EL? if i use mp4muxer and have BL + EL as inputs, it creates a duallayer no?
No methods exist to merge the layers themselves. You can merge the tracks that carry them (dual track -> single track), but not the layers.
besson

Post by besson »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm
besson wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:07 pm

So setup is:

Thank You
There's a lot going on here, but the main problem here is that you don't have a device capable of playing back lossless truehd atmos. e-ARC is capable of passing a truehd atmos signal, but I doubt the vizio is capable of decoding it in the first place. The Apple TV is also not capable; the best it will do is convert it to LPCM using infuse. I'm not sure about the capabilities of a htpc, but the Shield will solve this issue. Once you get this issue solved and if you don't care about dolby vision, then just go from disk to mkv with the latest version of makemkv and call it a day.
Ok, backing up a bit I want to know how to create the file that would work if i had a setup that could play this. From there I will buy whatever...price not an issue.
box4m

Post by box4m »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:36 pm
box4m wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:09 pm
planet_hoarder wrote:

No methods exist to merge the layers themselves. You can merge the tracks that carry them (dual track -> single track), but not the layers.
yeah i guess i used the wrong word, i mean what yuse tool is doing, i need to use yusetool or makemkv 1.15.1 to merge the BL+EL+RPU before i run mp4muxer on it + audio
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

besson wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:37 pm
Ok, backing up a bit I want to know how to create the file that would work if i had a setup that could play this. From there I will buy whatever...price not an issue.
If price is not an issue, I'd ditch that whole soundbar set up and a get real receiver + speakers :). Going through all this trouble to get fake atmos playing on a soundbar is just not worth the trouble imo. Not to mention any potential audio passthrough issues with the TV or video passthrough issues with the soundbar that you might run into. As far as creating the files go, just scroll a couple posts up on this page and there're some general steps that I outlined.
besson

Post by besson »

shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 pm
besson wrote:
If price is not an issue, I'd ditch that whole soundbar set up and a get real receiver + speakers :). Going through all this trouble to get fake atmos playing on a soundbar is just not worth the trouble imo. Not to mention any potential audio passthrough issues with the TV or video passthrough issues with the soundbar that you might run into. As far as creating the files go, just scroll a couple posts up on this page and there're some general steps that I outlined.
Well that is the crux of my issue, I will definitely read more back, but how involved of a process is this? I have about 40 UHD movies so far in my collection, and I understand it'll be lengthy, I just wish there was a magic program like Makemkv to make these files.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

besson wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:01 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 pm
besson wrote:
Well that is the crux of my issue, I will definitely read more back, but how involved of a process is this? I have about 40 UHD movies so far in my collection, and I understand it'll be lengthy, I just wish there was a magic program like Makemkv to make these files.
When the next version of makemkv arrives, it'll be just that. Maybe by the time you get your setup situation resolved, it'll be ready.
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

shawnc22 wrote:
I'm just getting to try this today, and looking at tsmuxer the question for me is the output container. Tsmuxer obviously does ts or m2ts, but everyone's talking about mp4. Does m2ts work?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Liersi wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:46 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
I'm just getting to try this today, and looking at tsmuxer the question for me is the output container. Tsmuxer obviously does ts or m2ts, but everyone's talking about mp4. Does m2ts work?
Yes it’s the only container at the moment that can do dv + atmos. MP4 does not support atmos audio
Liersi

Post by Liersi »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:36 pm
Yes it’s the only container at the moment that can do dv + atmos. MP4 does not support atmos audio
Figured as much and started testing. I'm using Plex on Shield as that's supposed to work. Latest Tsmuxer nightly on Win10 (w64-nightly-2020-06-27--02-14-32). Image stays black on playback. DV confirmed working with streaming on the same setup. Mediainfo shows DV in the resulting file, I'll attach the rundown:

General
ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 47.5 GiB
Duration : 1 h 45 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 64.7 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mb/s

Video
ID : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Commercial name : HDR10
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Dolby Vision : 1.0, dvhe.06.06, BL+EL+RPU
Codec ID : 6
Bit rate : 61.4 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 24.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.309
Stream size : 45.2 GiB (95%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 630 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 460 cd/m2

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : AC-3 MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3 + Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Muxing mode : Stream extension
Codec ID : 131
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 640 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 7 896 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 482 MiB (1%)
Service kind : Complete Main
Number of dynamic objects : 11
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE

Text
ID : 4768 (0x12A0)
Format : PGS
Codec ID : 144

Seems to all be there, just won't play. Does anyone see aynthing that's obviously wrong?