Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Metallikahn

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Metallikahn »

Grencola wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:02 am
that's correct. once you rip the full valerian disc contents (not mkv) go into its dir and put the largest .m2ts file from \bdmv\streams\ into its own folder. then run my app and point it to that folder and click install. wait about 1h15m ish. that's it. you'll be able to play the new mp4 directly from your TV's usb port via usb exfat hdd, or with the plex app (recommended for better gui) right on your tv streaming from your computer (direct play / direct stream on). both should be in DV and look just like playing the disc on your oppo. the audio will be downmixed to dd ac3 5.1. I'm not sure about about emby but give it a go for sure and let me know.

this is all obviously just a fun experiment though as it's a pointless process for you since you can just take a uhd disc and pop it in your udp-203 and get DV / hd-audio, rather than put it into your computer to rip and convert and then play with worse audio :p or if you were to rip it to the full folder structure of the disc, that too can be played in your oppo in DV / hd-audio :p

this is for people who can't afford an Oppo (especially now, my goodness). they either own an LG or Vizio TV with a non-atmos AVR. so adding DV while losing the atmos they never had anyway is a nice step up for a lot of people :)
I totally get how this is great for everybody that's not using it with a full surround sound setup, but like you said, not a perfect solution for me.

I may have an Oppo, but I rarely put an actual disc in it. I usually use it for troubleshooting when I run into a problematic rip. Emby is a lot like plex, though I like it much better than plex. For me, I have a lot more flexibility and setup/browsing options with Emby and it's much easier to navigate the server interface than Plex. Where I like Plex better is if I'm actually streaming to my ipad/phone/etc...

I haven't even bothered with folder rips for DV yet. To my understanding, a folder rip is basically exactly like using a physical disc? Menus and all, correct? One of my main theater goals is to keep it as streamlined as possible. Browse my collection on the Emby phone app, hit play for a given movie, and the movie (just the movie) starts direct playing via DLNA. Wish Oppo had left their OS open for third party apps. Would be great to browse and play all straight from the remote. On well... :)

I am going to give a few go folder rips a try. I have a handful of atmos movies (seemless branching tracks... Mostly disney) that have lots of audio dropouts. Folder rip might be the best option. I might do the same for select DV discs as well.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
Jhoopes517

Post by Jhoopes517 »

Grencola wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 am
Jhoopes517 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 am
The main thing you really need to take from this is that the MKV that you are trying to convert to have the Dolby Vision metadata will need to have both video tracks. You can check this by checking the mkv's mediainfo. If you have both video tracks, then converting it should be okay to do. Otherwise, obtaining the .m2ts from the UHD Blu and converting that will be better.
^^^ What he said ^^^

Jhoopes517, have you tried an mkv to mp4 yet? if so how did it look?

Nah. Haven't tried. All the files I don't have any mkv's with both video tracks and obtaining the m2ts from the discs is pretty easy imho.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

Jhoopes517 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:10 pm
Nah. Haven't tried. All the files I don't have any mkv's with both video tracks and obtaining the m2ts from the discs is pretty easy imho.
fair enough.
sumvision

Post by sumvision »

Does anybody know if you can adjust the audio sync? I got the holy grail but it's out of sync :cry:

Dantrigger

Post by Dantrigger »

How di you manage to get Dolby Atmos? Did you re-encode the truehd track?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

sumvision wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:29 pm
Does anybody know if you can adjust the audio sync? I got the holy grail but it's out of sync :cry:

what hardware are you running? depending on the models this setting can be found on TV's, BD Players, and AVRs. you probably have one of those 3 things that can do it :)
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

So after enough testing, I can now safely say the dv mp4s made from mkvs DO infact work just fine :) i've ran my program on like 10 of them and they all show dv and look and play amazing, with better contrast in the darker scenes that hdr10 misses. I'll update my app and take mkv out of testing and into full on good to go mode :) yay!
I've also added elapsed time so you know how long it took when it finishes and bumped it to version 2.0 since I don't think I can add any more features with the knowledge i have lol.

DV-MP4-Maker v2.0: https://bit.ly/2WbHZR0
sumvision

Post by sumvision »

Dantrigger wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:13 pm
How di you manage to get Dolby Atmos? Did you re-encode the truehd track?
No unfortunately that isn't possible yet without Dolby Media producer suite :cry: It's only a lossy Atmos track from a WEB-DL but better than no Atmos at all I guess.
Grencola wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:41 pm
what hardware are you running? depending on the models this setting can be found on TV's, BD Players, and AVRs. you probably have one of those 3 things that can do it :)
After a lot of experimenting and many muxes I managed to get it to sync up straight out of mp4muxer :D
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

sumvision wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:59 pm
After a lot of experimenting and many muxes I managed to get it to sync up straight out of mp4muxer :D
haha ok cool
timason

Post by timason »

Is there a way to play those files on Windows 10 as well?
I use mostly the OLED to play my files but sometimes I will use the PC to play the sames files for my other monitor/ different TV.
I also use this to add subtitles and sync them up.
MPC-HC doesn't play those mp4 mux.

Thanks.
Ray80

Post by Ray80 »

For the first time, I'm enjoying DV films, and it is awesome. Thank you!

I have a question: is it possible to add a second audio track to the mp4 file that can be played in the LG TVs? I have used mp4muxer and the new track can be played in Windows with VLC (without dolby vision of course), but my LG C7's internal player/plex can't play the second audio track (it can be selected, but it always plays the first track). Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the remuxing.

Thanks again!
ripem

Post by ripem »

i dont know if this is what people are tring to do but i use MKVToolNix it shows both videos and saves every thing to mkv it plays DV and ATMOS on my 4k bluray player with usb stick just wish it could be compressed to like 10gig
sumvision

Post by sumvision »

ripem wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:55 pm
i dont know if this is what people are tring to do but i use MKVToolNix it shows both videos and saves every thing to mkv it plays DV and ATMOS on my 4k bluray player with usb stick just wish it could be compressed to like 10gig
Your Blu-ray player is lying to you. As soon as you put DoVi anywhere near MKV it does not work. Even single layer DoVi files don't work with MKV.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

ripem wrote:
you mean hdr10 and atmos? ;) dolby vision doesn't work from mkv. only m2ts / ts / mp4
ripem

Post by ripem »

Grencola wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:32 pm
ripem wrote:
you mean hdr10 and atmos? ;) dolby vision doesn't work from mkv. only m2ts / ts / mp4
i stand corrected i just tried with mkv it fault to hdr it must have been a m2ts :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: