Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
4knewbie

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by 4knewbie »

What do you guys do for multi disc dv movies on plex (lawrence of arabia, Lotr trilogy) ? When I use the naming format suggested by plex where you put bot both parts in the same folder and name them "part 1" and "part 2" it does combine both files but I lose the dv layer
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Merge them with mkvtoolnix.
4knewbie

Post by 4knewbie »

I use dual layer dv mp4, I don’t think I can merge the files
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Probably not. I don't know that plex is going to notice though. Your part 1 and 2 I mean.
RayDawGGG

Post by RayDawGGG »

This is odd.. Does the Dolby Vision logo matter? I am able to play my SL DV(7.06) mkvs through the plex app on the shield pro (2019). The DV logo shows.. it plays fine except I noticed color issues playing Lord of the rings - Two Towers, Joker and Gemini man. My plex server is on my WIN 10 PC. My LG CX also has a plex app. While these mkvs don't play through the USB on the CX, they do play via my server to the plex app on the CX. Although the HDR logo shows on the CX plex app while playing these mkvs, they seem to be actually playing in DV. The colors are correct and the detail is definitely different than the HDR versions. In a blind test without the logos, how could you tell the difference.. your eyes. It could be that whatever is supposed to trigger the DV flag in these mkvs confuses the CX plex app and it shows the HDR logo instead of the DV logo(a possibility). Just because the flag does not show as DV, does that mean it is not DV? We know Mike and Yuescope's tools work, and it could be a coding thing that's causing this mishap on the CX. Do we really need the logo to verify DV? I've re-watched the Joker and Gemini Man SL DV's and they look 100% better this way vs the shield plex app wit screwy colors. Can someone with a CX try this method versus the shield 2019 and see if they agree or disagree?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

RayDawGGG wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:25 am
This is odd.. Does the Dolby Vision logo matter? I am able to play my SL DV(7.06) mkvs through the plex app on the shield pro (2019). The DV logo shows.. it plays fine except I noticed color issues playing Lord of the rings - Two Towers, Joker and Gemini man. My plex server is on my WIN 10 PC. My LG CX also has a plex app. While these mkvs don't play through the USB on the CX, they do play via my server to the plex app on the CX. Although the HDR logo shows on the CX plex app while playing these mkvs, they seem to be actually playing in DV. The colors are correct and the detail is definitely different than the HDR versions. In a blind test without the logos, how could you tell the difference.. your eyes. It could be that whatever is supposed to trigger the DV flag in these mkvs confuses the CX plex app and it shows the HDR logo instead of the DV logo(a possibility). Just because the flag does not show as DV, does that mean it is not DV? We know Mike and Yuescope's tools work, and it could be a coding thing that's causing this mishap on the CX. Do we really need the logo to verify DV? I've re-watched the Joker and Gemini Man SL DV's and they look 100% better this way vs the shield plex app wit screwy colors. Can someone with a CX try this method versus the shield 2019 and see if they agree or disagree?
Well if there's no logo, then the TV is not in DV mode; there's really no way around it. The WebOS plex app has no support for DV in MKVs so its defaulting to the HDR10 layer on playback. I would go back and double check the picture mode you're in during HDR & DV playback from the Shield and the same for playback from TV apps. I have it set to Cinema for everything and HDR looks the same to me on both the Shield and TV apps.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Hi, you might be right, I think Cinema Home (User) is subjectively brighter on the LG for internal apps, if you choose Cinema (User) for apps and HDMI you will get the same curve.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:12 pm
The x700 supports most of the single-track / double-layer files. All the MEL movies work but some FEL movies don't work. Also the ST-DL files don't have the reboot bug.
I didn't find a dual-track / dual-layer file that doesn't work yet.
That's good to know, thank you, I'll give it a try.
daddy

Post by daddy »

4knewbie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:14 am
You need to merge the m2ts files when you are demuxing the BL, EL and audio files.
To do this with ffmpeg
1- create a txt file contening a list of the files to merge
exemple : m2ts_list.txt

Code: Select all

file 'F:\000731.M2TS'
file 'F:\000732.M2TS'
2- extract the BL, EL and audio (dts-hd) of the merged m2ts files

ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i m2ts_list.txt -map 0:0 -c copy BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy EL.hevc -map 0:4 -c copy audio.mp4
Then make the vidéo DV mp4

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file BL.hevc --input-file EL.hevc --output-file video_dv.mp4
And then add audio to the vidéo

mp4box.exe -tmp F:\ -add video_dv.mp4:rate=0 -add audio.mp4#audio:lang=fr-FR -no-iod F:\movie.mp4
4knewbie

Post by 4knewbie »

daddy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:42 am
4knewbie wrote:
You need to merge the m2ts files when you are demuxing the BL, EL and audio files.
To do this with ffmpeg

ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i m2ts_list.txt -map 0:0 -c copy BL.hevc -map 0:1 -c copy EL.hevc -map 0:4 -c copy audio.mp4

mp4muxer_64bits.exe --dv-profile 7 --input-file BL.hevc --input-file EL.hevc --output-file video_dv.mp4

mp4box.exe -tmp F:\ -add video_dv.mp4:rate=0 -add audio.mp4#audio:lang=fr-FR -no-iod F:\movie.mp4
Thank you so much, can I do that with my already made dual layer dv mp4s or is it too late ?
pete19

Post by pete19 »

@jcdr428:

I used latest tsmuxer w64-nightly-2020-11-17--01-21-46 and muxed the first 3 mins of a UHD DV disc folder rip to a BMV folder and a m2ts file. Selected the BL + EL, Dolby Atmos audio and then muxed.

When playing back on LG CX via Oppo, DV and Dolby Atmos are triggered correctly on both muxed versions, but the muxed versions are always a little bit darker than the original disc.

Is this a known limitation or is there a setting that I'm missing ?

I took screenshot comparisons and also switched the order of the versions when played back to ensure it's not the LG dimming. Every time the muxed versions are a little bit darker.

Looking at mediainfo, the only difference I can see is in the HDR FORMAT tag of the EL of the m2ts mux:

original disc:
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

muxed BDM folder
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

muxed m2ts
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

see screenshot comparison here: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/8739

(ignore blown out highlights, this is a camera setting issue)

Thx
Last edited by pete19 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
dmartinvera00

Post by dmartinvera00 »

daddy wrote:
4knewbie wrote:
To do this with ffmpeg

where can i find more commands like that? or learn how to use it
4knewbie

Post by 4knewbie »

4knewbie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:42 pm
daddy wrote:
4knewbie wrote:
To do this with ffmpeg

Thank you so much, can I do that with my already made dual layer dv mp4s or is it too late ?
So I tried merging 2 already made mp4 with ffmpeg but the dv layer got lost in the process
4knewbie

Post by 4knewbie »

daddy wrote:
4knewbie wrote:
To do this with ffmpeg

0:4 refers to the desired audio right ?
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

Any idea whether the Emby application also capable of triggering DV on the Shield or LG WebOS when using mkv's?