Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
kazuma

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by kazuma »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:01 am
it already supports dual-layer DV...
kazuma wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:19 am
Can DL-DV added with a software update in the future on the ugoos (coreelec)? Or is the hardware of ugoos limited to support this?
Sorry, i mean DT-DV.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

it's a kodi limitation and there's no point using DT-DL mp4/ts/m2ts on this device. MKV is a much better container.
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

I now have a couple of FEL P7 DT DV movies that I want to convert to FEL P7 ST in order to play them in Plex. I use macOS myself, is there a handy tool to convert/mux DT to ST? I heard RESET saying that it's now possible to do in MKVtoolnix, but I don't really know how to use that tool.

I also downloaded dovi_tool 2.2.1 for macOS but it opened a command line where I didn't quite understand what to do.

I can use windows if need be.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:27 pm
I now have a couple of FEL P7 DT DV movies that I want to convert to FEL P7 ST in order to play them in Plex. I use macOS myself, is there a handy tool to convert/mux DT to ST? I heard RESET saying that it's now possible to do in MKVtoolnix, but I don't really know how to use that tool.
It only works with DT-DL TS/M2TS rip. If it's an MP4, for some reason mkvtoolnix keeps it DT-DL.

So for m2ts/ts file, just remux it in mkvtoolnix.
For MP4, I guess you have to remux it to TS and then to MKV.

both tsmuxer and mkvtoolnix are available on mac

https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/releases
https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html
Anime0t4ku

Post by Anime0t4ku »

Anime0t4ku wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:16 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:24 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 pm
Go into the Plex settings and make sure that ''force profile 7'' is enabled.

The Chromecast seems to have some EL/BL sync issues though. Check out this test file, there's is an encoding bug/artifacts in the HDR10 BL that FEL can fix but it doesn't work on the Chromecast. I also tried to let play Power Rangers till the end the indeed the ending credits text was white but looked slightly out of sync compared to my x800m2 and Ugoos.

comparison BL/EL: https://slow.pics/c/6AdFnUR2
TEST file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ir6r2D ... drive_link

EDIT: about the stuttering, try switching off the HW overlay in the developer settings
Bro, mad thanks man! It now works! I have NO IDEA why that settings magically turned itself off in Plex as I'm 100% sure I didn't turn it off myself.

Also tried to set HW overlay to off (which I have to turn on disable HW overlay ironically) but it didn't help the Kodi stuttering. But to be fair, I don't care about that anymore since the only reason I installed Kodinerds in the first place was because it wasn't working in Plex anymore. Now that it works in Plex I don't need to have it be working in Kodi too but thanks for the tip anyway!
I'm the friend sultanmehmet is talking about. Plex seems to "work" now except for the continious buffering I get with FEL DV movies (MEL seems to play fine, even with similiar file sizes and bitrates) however, I'm more interested in getting FEL to work with Kodi, disabling the hardware overlay doesn't seem to fix the issue for me. Any other suggestions ? Thanks in advance

@Reset9999, got any suggestions to get FEL MKV's to work propperly with Kodi?
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

Is the ugoos powerful enough to run a 5TB external usb hdd via usb-ports? Or do you need a usb-hub with power adapter?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Anime0t4ku wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:10 pm
I don't know about Kodi but it plays fines in PLEX on my end(except for the slight BL_EL OOS)
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:53 am
Anime0t4ku wrote:
I don't know about Kodi but it plays fines in PLEX on my end(except for the slight BL_EL OOS)
We just received the Nokia 8010 which has the amlogic S905X4-K chip (with the dolby vision license) but can't get DV FEL to work in CoreElec V21.0. There is very little written about this little box as the bulk of the information is about the AM6B and plus models. Technically it should be able to play it in CoreElec seeing as how the Chromecast 4k has the lower-end/older S905X3 chip and DV FEL works on there.

DV is triggered but the test video (this device can decode FEL) stays red, so I think it plays it in MEL-compatible mode (profile 8.1 or similair). FEL also doesn't work in the Android TV os that it comes with out of the box. We tried it in Plex the same way as we did with the CCTV 4K and it didn't work. Also enabled the ''force profile 7'' option you mentioned for the CCTV, it didn't work.

The reason we went for the Nokia 8010 was because it cost us 99 euros at Amazon. The Ugoos is either not available anywhere or marked up so I wanted to leave that option for later.

UPDATE: After seeing the availability and pricing of the AM6B+ I decided that the newer AM8 is a better option. I can get that for about the same price as the AM6B+, sometimes even cheaper! It has the newer and updated S928X-J chip and should also work.
texwatson

Post by texwatson »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:22 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Anime0t4ku wrote:
We just received the Nokia 8010 which has the amlogic S905X4-K chip (with the dolby vision license) but can't get DV FEL to work in CoreElec V21.0. There is very little written about this little box as the bulk of the information is about the AM6B and plus models. Technically it should be able to play it in CoreElec seeing as how the Chromecast 4k has the lower-end/older S905X3 chip and DV FEL works on there.

DV is triggered but the test video (this device can decode FEL) stays red, so I think it plays it in MEL-compatible mode (profile 8.1 or similair). FEL also doesn't work in the Android TV os that it comes with out of the box. We tried it in Plex the same way as we did with the CCTV 4K and it didn't work. Also enabled the ''force profile 7'' option you mentioned for the CCTV, it didn't work.

The reason we went for the Nokia 8010 was because it cost us 99 euros at Amazon. The Ugoos is either not available anywhere or marked up so I wanted to leave that option for later.

UPDATE: After seeing the availability and pricing of the AM6B+ I decided that the newer AM8 is a better option. I can get that for about the same price as the AM6B+, sometimes even cheaper! It has the newer and updated S928X-J chip and should also work.
"Dolby Vision will be supported on Amlogic-ne and Amlogic-ng with Kodi Omega on certain Amlogic devices like Homatics/Dune R 4K Plus, RockTek G2 or Nokia 8010. Other devices on Amlogic-ng like Ugoos AM6+ or Minix NEO U22-XJ (Max) equiped with S922X-J will support Dolby Vision with profile 7 FEL as well."

What's the point of buying an AM8? Looks pretty much worthless to me.
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

texwatson wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:27 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:22 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:

"Dolby Vision will be supported on Amlogic-ne and Amlogic-ng with Kodi Omega on certain Amlogic devices like Homatics/Dune R 4K Plus, RockTek G2 or Nokia 8010. Other devices on Amlogic-ng like Ugoos AM6+ or Minix NEO U22-XJ (Max) equiped with S922X-J will support Dolby Vision with profile 7 FEL as well."

What's the point of buying an AM8? Looks pretty much worthless to me.
The AM8 has the successor chip to the AM6B+ that everybody is boasting about. And like I said in my post, since the AM6B+ is sold almost everywhere in my country and beyond (Europe) the AM8 is actually cheaper with a more direct availability. So I don't necassarily want it because it's 'better' but because it's more easily available and actually cheaper to get. I know Portisch, the CoreElec developer has one and is working on it. I have a Sony X700 which works but has too many cons while playing FEL movies so I would like something with more ease of use. Am in no way in a hurry to get a streamer that works.
Last edited by sultanmehmet on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susanstone2022

Post by susanstone2022 »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:28 pm
The AM8 has the successor chip to the AM6B+ that everybody is boasting about. And like I said in my post, since the AM6B+ is sold almost everywhere in my country and beyond (Europe) the AM8 is actually cheaper with a more direct availability. So I don't necassarily want it because it's 'better' but because it's more easily available and actually cheaper to get.
you don't get the point. FEL support needs both hardware and software. At this time, software does not support FEL on AM8. It does not matter if it is newer or better or cheaper.
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

susanstone2022 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:37 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:
The AM8 has the successor chip to the AM6B+ that everybody is boasting about. And like I said in my post, since the AM6B+ is sold almost everywhere in my country and beyond (Europe) the AM8 is actually cheaper with a more direct availability. So I don't necassarily want it because it's 'better' but because it's more easily available and actually cheaper to get.
you don't get the point. FEL support needs both hardware and software. At this time, software does not support FEL on AM8. It does not matter if it is newer or better or cheaper.
I got that. I know it's being worked on and I have a sony x700 to keep me satisfied for FEL playback while the software part of the AM8 gets optimized. I'll wait if need be, the development at CoreElec seems to have made great progress in the last few months so I'm pretty sure we'll get something working sooner rather than later. And if not then I can just act accordingly then. Am in no way in a hurry to get a streamer that works.
Last edited by sultanmehmet on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
susanstone2022

Post by susanstone2022 »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:41 pm
susanstone2022 wrote:
sultanmehmet wrote:
I got that. But it will take some time for me to get it here anyway and I have a sony x700 to keep me satisfied while the software part of the AM8 gets optimized. I'll wait if need be, the development at CoreElec seems to have made great progress in the last few months so I'm pretty sure we'll get something working sooner rather than later. And if not then I can just act accordingly then. Am in no way in a hurry to get a streamer that works.
do you know if Amlogic S928X-J has two decoders which is required for FEL decoding?
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

susanstone2022 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:45 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:41 pm
susanstone2022 wrote:

I got that. But it will take some time for me to get it here anyway and I have a sony x700 to keep me satisfied while the software part of the AM8 gets optimized. I'll wait if need be, the development at CoreElec seems to have made great progress in the last few months so I'm pretty sure we'll get something working sooner rather than later. And if not then I can just act accordingly then. Am in no way in a hurry to get a streamer that works.
do you know if Amlogic S928X-J has two decoders which is required for FEL decoding?
According to Portisch's (a developer for CoreElec) response to a statement about multiple decoders and the S928X chip, it does.

Statement:
''You cannot support FEL via a firmware update because FEL is actually 2 videos overlaid on top of each, so it requires 2 H.265 decoders which this chip does not have. The S905X5 apparently has 2 decoders so that might be able to decode FEL depending.''

Portisch:
''This is not true, there up to 9 decoder in hardware supported since years. I think since g12a.
It’s just not usable as Kodi is only able to handle one decoder and not two simultaneously like for PiP.
We use for FEL already two decoders but the problem is when one frame decode fail all get stuck..''
cpm00

Post by cpm00 »

I guess maybe talking at cross purpose, the chips have multiple decoders - but they are for different types of decoding h.264, AV1, VP9 etc.

DoVi UHD BluRay needs 2x h.265 (1x h.265 2160p @ 60fps and 1x h.265 1080p @ 60 fps).
I can not find anywhere which explicitly indicates the S928X can do that combo - though it is possible it can.

Note: Kodi is just passing down the ST-DL video stream to the AMLogic drivers/codebase to do the actual decoding and composition of the two h.265 (HEVC) streams (BL and FEL) for DoVi, recently there was an issue in CoreELEC 21 with seeking - landing in between I-Frames and the decoding becoming stuck - that one was solved.

Presuming the chip is good the next hurdle will be getting all the open source linux drivers required for CoreELEC - from what I see they have not been released - some important elements are missing, and all are only available for Android - for the versions the S928X needs.

Would need pressure on AMLogic or more likely the 3rd party box makers to put pressure on AMLogic to get the drivers released for linux.

Speculation: Higher bandwidth streaming is arriving - and I would dare say this will ultimately surpass DoVi UHD BluRay if the demand is there i.e. will bump to 12bit when sensibly priced consumer displays become available to close any remaining gap.