Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaMacFunkin

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:58 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:23 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:58 am
Man I tried many ways but still couldn't make Gemini Man in dolby vision to run at the correct 60 fps. I suspect there is mismatch between the framerate of 2 video layers somehow since the hdr10 version runs perfectly fine at 60fps.
Hi, I have 2 set ups LG C9 and LG C7, none have problems playing back single layer Gemini man at 60fps via the internal Plex app over wired gigabit network, I have all motion processing disabled on both sets.

On my C7 I have a normal shield (2017) as Plex server and my DV files plugged into that via USB 3, I can then play them back via the built in Plex app.

On my C9 I have a new DV shield and my DV files plugged into that via a usb 3 drive, that the goes through a Denon 5.2.2 system, I can then playback via Plex on the shield or Plex on the C9 with no problems.

On my DVDfab single layer of Gemini Man I even made a 7.1 aac at quality 1.0 with neroaac codec and muxed that back in.436CABEC-0FD9-4933-847B-CEF2D33D8096.jpeg
Is there a way to make it work for double layer? I don’t really want to try making a single layer because some people say it is questionable whether the dolby vision of that is real or simply hdr10 with false dolby flag.
Yes, heard this, all I can say is Single layer DV of a movie DOES look better on the same setup than the HDR10, and Dual layer DV doesn’t look better than single layer DV.

Most professional TV calibrators will not calibrate your TV to reference values, they will all say what looks good to the eye is more relevant than what is technically correct, just remember that.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

P.s. I could make a dual layer back up of Gemini Man, but it’s rubbish, there is nothing I like about, story, close up filming, lack of atmosphere or the high frame rate.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:27 pm
Yes, heard this, all I can say is Single layer DV of a movie DOES look better on the same setup than the HDR10, and Dual layer DV doesn’t look better than single layer DV.
when people used a luxometer and other various tools to measure movie scenes nits of single-layer dv mp4 vs their regular hdr10 counterpart, NO increase in brightness was detected. also they found the colorspace to be way off from where it should be. however when measuring dual-layer dv mp4s there was a much higher increase of nits in all specular highlights, that matched exactly what the uhd-bd disc brightness was and the colorspace was perfect. basically dvdfab inserts a false flag so your TV says dv, and then your brain goes ooh yay dolby vision! and the placebo effect kicks in..
Last edited by Grencola on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Grencola wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:19 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:27 pm
when people used a luxometer and other various tools to measure movie scenes nits of single-layer dv mp4 vs their regular hdr10 counterpart, NO increase in brightness was detected. however when measuring dual-layer dv mp4s there was a much higher increase of nits in all specular highlights, that matched exactly what the uhd-bd disc brightness was. basically dvdfab inserts a false flag so your TV says dv, and then your brain goes ooh boy dolby vision! and the placebo effect kicks in..
So, it's confirmed that at this stage DVDFab made single layer DV is basically a fake? Are you 💯 sure?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

mulucy wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:53 pm
So, it's confirmed that at this stage DVDFab made single layer DV is basically a fake? Are you sure?
Since I haven't done any of the testing myself, I can't be 100% sure, no. but far smarter people than me have tested it multiple times in multiple ways and they all seem to reach a similar conclusion. this is also why I have been so hesitant to make a tool for easy single-layer mp4s. I don't want to perpetuate any pseudo tech. I'll stick with true dual layer, and my next update should allow for hd-audio + atmos in the mp4s it creates.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:53 am
mulucy wrote:
So, it's confirmed that at this stage DVDFab made single layer DV is basically a fake? Are you sure?
Since I haven't done any of the testing myself, I can't be 100% sure, no. but far smarter people than me have tested it multiple times in multiple ways and they all seem to reach a similar conclusion. this is also why I have been so hesitant to make a tool for easy single-layer mp4s. I don't want to perpetuate any pseudo tech. I'll stick with true dual layer, and my next update should allow for hd-audio + atmos in the mp4s it creates.
It makes sense. Why Gemini Man, made using the DVDFab DV Single layer, has a choppy playback and it requires a good HDMI cable, whereas the same movie in HDR10 works smooth? I am not trying to argue with the fact, to be honest. Genuinely curious :)
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

mulucy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 am
Grencola wrote:
mulucy wrote:
It makes sense. Why Gemini Man, made using the DVDFab DV Single layer, has a choppy playback and it requires a good HDMI cable, whereas the same movie in HDR10 works smooth? I am not trying to argue with the fact, to be honest. Genuinely curious :)
From my experience and some other's here, Gemini Man DV single layer does not have choppy playback because it is essentially hdr10 version which runs at correct 60 fps. It is Gemini Man DV dual layer that has choppy playback because it is true DV and somehow the remuxing process messes with the framerate or whatever.
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

Grencola wrote:
mulucy wrote:
so you play your media in dual layer,and may i ask how you play that too your tv? are you using something like plex?
a nvidia shield tv? a nas? i'm curious. mainly because i have a shield tv pro and from what i heard they can only play
single layer?
I really could use a summary of this topic its getting so big
from what ive done so far is use a usb drive connect it too my tv,and play with the local media player,which works but i wish too look for a more elegant solution...
Mediaplayer: Nvidia Shield TV Pro
TV: LG 55SK7900PLA
Soundbar: LG SK8 (not LG SK8Y)
plex pass user
Discord:Rosa#1111
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 am
so you play your media in dual layer,and may i ask how you play that too your tv? are you using something like plex?
a nvidia shield tv? a nas? i'm curious. mainly because i have a shield tv pro and from what i heard they can only play
single layer?
LG TV's (series 7/8/9) Plex app can direct play dual-layer dv movies no problem. The newer models also support e-arc so it can passthrough true-hd + atmos / dts-hd ma + dts:x. If you own a different supported TV and are stuck using its usb media player, you'll still get Dolby Vision ok, but unfortunately the audio needs to adhere to regular arc limitations (dd+ eac3 at best).
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:21 am
rosavanwinkle wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 am
single layer?
LG TV's (series 7/8/9) Plex app can direct play dual-layer dv movies no problem. The newer models also support e-arc so it can passthrough true-hd + atmos / dts-hd ma + dts:x. If you own a different supported TV and are stuck using its usb media player, you'll still get Dolby Vision ok, but unfortunately the audio needs to adhere to regular arc limitations (dd+ eac3 at best).
i'm using a lg SK7900PLA https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d611126b idkit came out in 2018,
i have played via the plex app from the lg store dual layer dolby vision files,but i need a way that it doesnt constantly buffer,i'm guessing thats because its software encoding or something instead of hardware which is only for premium users
plex pass user
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

rosavanwinkle wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:37 am
i'm using a lg SK7900PLA https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d611126b idkit came out in 2018,
i have played via the plex app from the lg store dual layer dolby vision files,but i need a way that it doesnt constantly buffer,i'm guessing thats because its software encoding or something instead of hardware which is only for premium users
ugh ya, software encoding is sketchy. Also to clarify I meant the LG OLED TV's. They pack a mean processor that can pretty well handle anything these days.
rosavanwinkle

Post by rosavanwinkle »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:43 am
rosavanwinkle wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:37 am
ugh ya, software encoding is sketchy. Also to clarify I meant the LG OLED TV's. They pack a mean processor that can pretty well handle anything these days.
guess i'll be making myself a tiny little pc,a powerfull nas or just stick to usb sticks for the time being ^^'
plex pass user
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:33 am
mulucy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 am
Grencola wrote:

From my experience and some other's here, Gemini Man DV single layer does not have choppy playback because it is essentially hdr10 version which runs at correct 60 fps. It is Gemini Man DV dual layer that has choppy playback because it is true DV and somehow the remuxing process messes with the framerate or whatever.
It was the same with my Apple TV. I had to get a better cable and change the HDMI connection to RGB full to make the DV work.
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:21 am
Do Sony TVs (XF90 or XG95) play the dual layer DV MP4? They're Android TVs, so I'm not sure if there is a built-in Video player I can use.

Any inputs welcome before I buy a Sony. :idea:
daddy

Post by daddy »

I think the Sony dv support is the worst.
http://4k.com/news/sony-explains-about-dolby-vision-problem-in-its-4k-hdr-tvs-partly-blames-others-23168/ wrote:Sony implemented a modification to Dolby Vision support by which most of the processing for playback of content with this kind of high dynamic range formatting is offloaded to the device from which it came from instead of being done inside the TV itself. Thus the need for complementary updates from streaming device makers. Why Sony chose this approach is still unknown but it could be because they wanted to make their Dolby Vision update as lean and easy to implement as possible.
Philips 804 is an android tv with a built-in Video player that can handle dual layer dv.
This is surprising that nobody tried to backup this android application, to try it on another android device :idea: