Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Grencola

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola »

Erfero wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:26 pm
Hi guys, I've got Alida working with Dolby Vision through USB on a philips 804. Plex doesn't recognize dolby vision but only hdr 10 +.
I've simply used mp4muxer muxing BL + EL + audio. The process is slow, even with a nice PC, and even if says "0kb" in reality is working.
Anyway I don't see much difference from an HDR 10 +, is that normal? It looks like this process it's just a fake thing...
that's because, with current displays, hdr10+ is the equivalent to dolby vision. they both offer per-frame specular enhancement over regular hdr10. mp4muxer is definitely not fake as it keeps the seperate layers intact, just like uhd discs; it literally just changes the container. single layer mp4s from DVDFab, however, remain quite questionable at best..
box4m

Post by box4m »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:01 am
Erfero wrote:
Hi guys, I've got Alida working with Dolby Vision through USB on a philips 804. Plex doesn't recognize dolby vision but only hdr 10 +.
I've simply used mp4muxer muxing BL + EL + audio. The process is slow, even with a nice PC, and even if says "0kb" in reality is working.
Anyway I don't see much difference from an HDR 10 +, is that normal? It looks like this process it's just a fake thing...
that's because, with current displays, hdr10+ is the equivalent to dolby vision. they both offer per-frame specular enhancement over regular hdr10. mp4muxer is definitely not fake as it keeps the seperate layers intact, just like uhd discs; it literally just changes the container. single layer mp4s from DVDFab, however, remain quite questionable at best..
questionable in what regard?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

box4m wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:32 am
Grencola wrote:
Erfero wrote:
I’ve heard the questions also and don’t agree, I watched Terminator dark fate in HDR10 on my 65” LG C9 and then watched it again in single layer DV on my 55” C7, I preferred the picture on the C7, whatever it does it does something better.
Merlyn6175

Post by Merlyn6175 »

"single layer mp4s from DVDFab, however, remain quite questionable at best.."

I think Grencola mean DVDfabs single layer conversion is questionable, which I agree.
Some conversion work flawless on my C7 and LG UHD BLuray(USB), however films like Transformers 1-4 just mess up, red & green flashes and if I use the UHD player it looks like i've dropped my screen with vertical coloured lines tearing up the screen.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

box4m wrote:
Grencola wrote:
Erfero wrote:
https://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... &start=340
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Merlyn6175 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:33 pm
"single layer mp4s from DVDFab, however, remain quite questionable at best.."

I think Grencola mean DVDfabs single layer conversion is questionable, which I agree.
Some conversion work flawless on my C7 and LG UHD BLuray(USB), however films like Transformers 1-4 just mess up, red & green flashes and if I use the UHD player it looks like i've dropped my screen with vertical coloured lines tearing up the screen.
I have the same problem with bumblebee on the LG which is essentially a transformers film but it plays fine on the Shield Pto 2019.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Hereditary dolby vision stutters on my lg c9, playing via hdd connected via usb. Other movies like Bumblebee and Fantastic Beasts play fine. Any idea?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

The USB ports on the C9 are only USB2.0, maybe the combination of your USB chipset and the v2 port isn’t quite fast enough for some high bit rate titles.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:36 pm
The USB ports on the C9 are only USB2.0, maybe the combination of your USB chipset and the v2 port isn’t quite fast enough for some high bit rate titles.
Usb 2.0 has a speed of 480 Mbps which is way higher than these films’ bitrate (less than 100 Mbps), so there shouldn’t be any problem right?

Btw, the hdr10 version of the same movie still runs fine, so I doubt this is a bit rate problem but the remuxed dolby version itself
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:13 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Usb 2.0 has a speed of 480 Mbps which is way higher than these films’ bitrate (less than 100 Mbps), so there shouldn’t be any problem right?

Btw, the hdr10 version of the same movie still runs fine, so I doubt this is a bit rate problem but the remuxed dolby version itself
in theory yes, but in practice no, that’s why I mentioned the chipset.
Maybe your right, all I know is I have no probs with jitters or stutters with single layer DV playback on my C9, but I do have a shield serving it via wired LAN.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:20 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:13 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:

in theory yes, but in practice no, that’s why I mentioned the chipset.
Maybe your right, all I know is I have no probs with jitters or stutters with single layer DV playback on my C9, but I do have a shield serving it via wired LAN.
Is there a way to play these dolby vision fileS from pc?
daddy

Post by daddy »

I did more than 60 Dolby Vision dual layer files.
Except Gemini Man (60fps=>stutter) and Universal Soldier (peak > 100 Mbps), all of them play fine on my C7.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

daddy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:55 pm
I did more than 60 Dolby Vision dual layer files.
Except Gemini Man (60fps=>stutter) and Universal Soldier (peak > 100 Mbps), all of them play fine on my C7.
What did you use to play them with? I try usb and some stutter (hdr10 always play fine but some dolby vision files do not). I want to try plex but the speed is limited by the internet.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Does anyone manage to play gemini man dolby vision smoothly at 60fps via usb? Mine seems to play at lower framerate. I used grencola tool.
box4m

Post by box4m »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:16 pm
box4m wrote:
Grencola wrote:

https://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... &start=340
Damn :(